Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:25 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
No, they put it directly on the packaging for some products. That's what they'd do with Tylenol.
By packaging, you mean the box it comes in; right?

Most people, at least if they buy a bottle of it, throw the box away almost immediately.

I'm not sure if Tylenol is also sold in the sheets with squares you punch the pills out of. If it is, then people who buy that will keep the box and the box is the best place. For those who buy the bottles, though, the bottle is without a doubt the most appropriate place for any warnings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 10:27 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
By packaging, you mean the box it comes in; right?

Most people, at least if they buy a bottle of it, throw the box away almost immediately.

I'm not sure if Tylenol is also sold in the sheets with squares you punch the pills out of. If it is, then people who buy that will keep the box and the box is the best place. For those who buy the bottles, though, the bottle is without a doubt the most appropriate place for any warnings.
On the bottle and on the box. On the push through sheets, they print it on the back of the blister pack.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:45 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
The study involved 106 people taking 4 grams of acetaminophen (the active ingredient in Tylenol, Excedrin and other pain killers) a day for two weeks. Four grams is the maximum daily dose recommended by the manufacturer, so we're not even talking about an "abuse" situation here.
Not one person who received the placebo showed any signs of liver damage. The people taking acetaminophen, however, started having abnormal liver test results—an indication of damage."
Well, the linked article had no reference material (or link), so I sniffed out the original study from the Journal of the American Medical Association. It's a much better read than the blog.

The original study was to determine why people prescribed opioid pain relievers and Tylenol (acetaminophen) were exhibiting elevated enzymes in their liver (which lead to liver problems in many). What they found is that the opioid wasn't the problem - acetaminophen was.

I guess the study rings loud and clear that people shouldn't be taking the max dosage of a drug for extended period of times. It also rings clear that the 4-gram max on tylenol is set too high for extended use.

However, suggesting that the miracle elixir NyQuil be pulled off the shelves and/or reformulated because it contains acetaminophen is silly. I mean, how else are people supposed to get teething babies to sleep at night? Alcohol for drowsiness, acetaminophen for the pain! ((Just kidding!!!))

Old 06-30-2009, 05:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Part of the problem could be combining acetaminophen with large amounts of alcohol. I'd bet anything that was the case with some of these people who died.

The label says "If you consume 3 or more alcoholic drinks every day, ask your doctor whether you should tae acetaminophen or other pain relievers or fever reducers."
Part of the problem, at least in pediatrics, is that Tylenol is in a lot of these "multi-symptom" cold meds. So the parents give the kid "Tylenol Cough and Cold" and then they give them a dose of Tylenol too. The kid gets over-dosed. We nurses have cautioned against multi-symptom meds for decades. If you have pain, take Tylenol (at the appropriate dose), if you have a stuffy nose, try saline nose drops. Not every symptom needs a med.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:39 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Part of the problem, at least in pediatrics, is that Tylenol is in a lot of these "multi-symptom" cold meds. So the parents give the kid "Tylenol Cough and Cold" and then they give them a dose of Tylenol too. The kid gets over-dosed. We nurses have cautioned against multi-symptom meds for decades. If you have pain, take Tylenol (at the appropriate dose), if you have a stuffy nose, try saline nose drops. Not every symptom needs a med.
That's why I only ever buy single-ingredient medications. I can take what I need, and nothing I don't.

Stuffy nose - Netipot!

Old 06-30-2009, 07:55 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post

However, suggesting that the miracle elixir NyQuil be pulled off the shelves and/or reformulated because it contains acetaminophen is silly. I mean, how else are people supposed to get teething babies to sleep at night? Alcohol for drowsiness, acetaminophen for the pain! ((Just kidding!!!))
HA!HA! If I recall correctly, my relatives told me one trick was to stick a finger into a bottle of Tequila and dab it on the baby's gums. Probably not recommended but I thought it amusing.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:48 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
The ingredient in Nyquil that puts you to sleep is actually an antihistamine. You can get the same effect by just taking benadryl, without ingesting the acetaminophen for no reason.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:14 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Basically it just a warenign to take less which I seriously thnik no more wil adhere to than before.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:14 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The ingredient in Nyquil that puts you to sleep is actually an antihistamine. You can get the same effect by just taking benadryl, without ingesting the acetaminophen for no reason.
Some people shouldn't even take Benadryl, and don't realize it. It depresses your central nervous system, so people with certain chronic illnesses risk death by taking it. Asthma, (which I have) for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
HA!HA! If I recall correctly, my relatives told me one trick was to stick a finger into a bottle of Tequila and dab it on the baby's gums. Probably not recommended but I thought it amusing.
My mom tried whiskey in my milk- said it didn't work. Of course, she used whiskey for a lot of things...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies