Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:55 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times

Advertisements

(CNSNews.com) - Following a testy exchange during today’s briefing with White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, veteran White House correspondent Helen Thomas told CNSNews.com that not even Richard Nixon tried to control the press the way President Obama is trying to control the press.

“What the hell do they think we are, puppets?” Thomas said. “They’re supposed to stay out of our business.
They are our public servants. We pay them.”

Thomas said she was especially concerned about the arrangement between the Obama Administration and a writer from the liberal Huffington Post Web site.

“I’m not saying there has never been managed news before, but this is carried to fare-thee-well--for the town halls, for the press conferences,” she said. “It’s blatant. They don’t give a damn if you know it or not. They ought to be hanging their heads in shame.”

CNSNews.com - Helen Thomas: Not Even Nixon Tried to Control the Media Like Obama (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=50445 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 09:57 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
She better be careful...she might just die of natural causes for her troubles.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:59 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
She better be careful...she might just die of natural causes for her troubles.
There have been a couple Q&A sessions where I thought she had died, but she was just napping. But there was nobody better than Helen in her prime.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:03 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,318,633 times
Quote:
Helen Thomas: Not Even Nixon Tried to Control the Media Like Obama
Whats ironic is no President has ever recieved such a free ride from the media as Obama has and that still isn't good enough.

I'd like to see him endure the same scrutiny and outright disrespect that G.W. did from the press corps.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:06 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
There have been a couple Q&A sessions where I thought she had died, but she was just napping. But there was nobody better than Helen in her prime.
Do you remember when Ann Coulter called Ms. Thomas that 'Old Arab'? I loved it but many people just didn't. I will look for Coulter to apologize for that after this one.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:07 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
That's funny that you cite Helen Thomas when right wingers have bashed her for years for asking tough fair questions of Bush.

She's off base on the Iran question though. The WH did know the subject would be Iran....they did not know the question beforehand.....it turned out to be a thoughtful tough question that Obama did not answer...he evaded the question.........some conspiracy.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:08 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,318,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
That's funny that you cite Helen Thomas when right wingers have bashed her for years for asking tough fair questions of Bush.

She's off base on the Iran question though. The WH did know the subject would be Iran....they did not know the question beforehand.....it turned out to be a thoughtful tough question that Obama did not answer...he evaded the question.........some conspiracy.
Robert Gibbs is that you?

I guess some people can look beyond partisan politics and agree that she is right on this one.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

Funny I have never bashed her. Funny you say that and dont supply a link either.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Whats ironic is no President has ever received such a free ride from the media as Obama has and that still isn't good enough.

I'd like to see him endure the same scrutiny and outright disrespect that G.W. did from the press corps.
No and it is disgusting she is right they are turning into puppets! And they DO WORK for US! Not the other way around.
He would never be able to function if he was going through the same scrutiny as anyone Prez before him. Narcissistic people do not function well without it. Instead of his CHIN pushed up to the sky,............ it would be on the ground and he scowl would be greater on his face than michelle's is.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:07 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,850,172 times
Never based her either. She just didnt matter to me to bash.

I am thankful she is saying this. Maybe now the rest will wake up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies