Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 09:20 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,855,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Better check your facts on that recssion. Meanwhile, no President in the past century (or perhaps any) ever inherited an economy in better shape than Bush did. Proceeded to wreck it.

Okay, I see. You're not at all a part of the right-wing knee-jerk crowd. I'll try to keep that in mind...
According the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER), the unofficial arbiter of business cycles, the recession began in March 2001 and ended in November 2001. NBER analyzes four data series from the U.S. Department of Commerce, the Federal Reserve Board, and other government sources. While previously NBER indicated the recession started in March 2001 (it has not formally revised that date), official revisions of the data indicate that the recession started earlier than that.

According to the Council of Economic Advisers, the median date of these five data series is October 2000 — at least three months before George W. Bush took office. We also know that the stock market started to decline in March of 2000, business investment began to fall in the third quarter of 2000, and initial jobless claims began to rise at the end of 2000 — more evidence that the U.S. economy in late 2000 was in fact "on the front end of a recession,

Joseph Stiglitz, the chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers under President Clinton, admits that "the economy was slipping into recession even before Bush took office, and the corporate scandals that are rocking America began much earlier."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 10:22 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,530,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
How long can this nonsense go on. I think it's coming to the point that Americans need to march on Washington if this keeps up. I think it would be healthy and a wake up call to the government that we are not frightened of you. This is really starting to look bad. The Fed seems to be turning on Americans with little thought in the process. Very arrogant indeed.
I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Old 07-03-2009, 10:30 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,497,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Is that what all this gets down to - that you are looking for reparations for the Civil War? You feel someone still owes you something?
No, I'm talking about the staggering public debt that Lincoln ran up in the course of the Civil War that no generation since has ever paid back. We've just rolled the old bonds over into new ones for close to 150 years. Same with WWI and WWII. So don't start up with the grandchildren-will-have-to-pay-for-this crying towel. The nation uses debt to address its emergencies. This is an emergency.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:42 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,606,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Apparently this was part of the extra 300 pages that were slipped into the Cap and Tax bill at 3 am. If anyone wants to sell there house they will no longer be able to just list it with an agent. They must now, have a Big Brother, err...I mean, government official come in, inspect my house and tell me the necessary retrofitting that I must do at my expense in order to make it green, and then, upon Big Brother's, er.., I mean the governments approval, then I can list it. People, this is very, very scary and should not be a partisan issue.

Its only the begining..wait and see.

Were on the titanic and we dont even realize it.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:47 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,387,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Link to the actual text of legislation or there is no point in even discussing it. Sick of this "I heard" stuff.
Yes. That kind of thing, speculating without proof, is just unacceptable.
If the senate can approve it without reading it. We certainly have the
freedom to speculate until we know more. Feel free to wait in silence,
your intellectual integrity is noted.
Now, back to the mosh pit of ideas.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:56 AM

2,557 posts, read 5,865,715 times
Don't give them any more ludicrous ideas! They are quite capable of destroying us without help from the peanut gallery.

Quote:
You say there's a provision in Waxman-Markey for kicking people out of their homes? I heard they only settled for that after the idea of using satellite-based lasers to incinerate the homes of people who didn't comply with new codes within two hours was shot down. Did anybody else hear that? Maybe at NewsMax or WorldNetDaily?

Old 07-03-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
sonrise, find the bill, click on it and provide us with the black and white proof sans blogosphere.

If you're going to put something out there, be prepared to back it up.
1. Demand source.
2. Discredit source.

SOP

Old 07-03-2009, 11:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,549,139 times
Quote:
No, I'm talking about the staggering public debt that Lincoln ran up in the course of the Civil War that no generation since has ever paid back. We've just rolled the old bonds over into new ones for close to 150 years. Same with WWI and WWII. So don't start up with the grandchildren-will-have-to-pay-for-this crying towel. The nation uses debt to address its emergencies. This is an emergency.
So your stance is . . . just throw money at any "emergency" and that will solve it?

And, btw - what is this emergency you speak of?

The only emergencies have been created by government institutions. Yep. Those toxic securities were dreamed up by Whats-his-name who was over Fannie Mae (Franklin Raines, I believe) . . . so then we get a bail out bill . . .

And healthcare? I work in healthcare (policy) and this has been predicted for decades - so no surprise and no emergency - just a CREATED emergency and a totally wacked out response from the O machine.

Now, I do think we have some crises - including funding Federal entitlement programs but again . . . that involves handing out money.

Gosh, I am seeing a trend here . . . Feds and $$$$ and entitlements.

But I am not seeing an emergency that is being addressed.

What happened to getting us out of Iraq? Seems I just heard O say he was sending more troops to Afghanistan. I kinda thought getting out of the middle east was somewhat of an emergency - it sure is when our soldiers' lives are being put on the line . . .

And illegal immigration . . . kinda thought that was an emergency. More people coming across every day (altho I have heard there is some outmigration back to Mexico b/c the economy is not providing as many jobs as in the past).

And then this energy "crisis." Someone forgot to tell China about the "emergency" wh/ makes all this punitive regs O wants to enact a venture of futility . . . so I don't see how this could be dubbed an "emergency."

So what emergency were you referring to?

ETA: Forgot to address your statement about the Civil War. Well, Lincoln could have just let the South secede, you know.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:25 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,017,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
And don't forget replacing your roof with a white roof to reflect the sun..that's in the bill. Read it...
California Title 24 Cool Roof requirements are probably where they're going to pull this from...which does not require a white roof...would you please list the line in the bill where you read this 'white roof' please, I was unable to find it, thank you.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
And will raise the cost...far more importantly is that "concensus" will determine the exact level of acceptable standard for energy consumption. This includes water as well. I stopped reading it when I developed a migrain. I will go back to it and read it word by word. This is outrageous. It's one thing to talk about taxing the rich..another thing to destroy the middle class and poor. Remember..this applies to rental untis as well. So who do you think will ultimately pay for this..the tenant will..of course.
All that faux concern for the poor.

When the much higher cost of living
forces the weakly employed out
into the woods we can tell them
'just think of it as camping' or
'thanks for doing your part to save the planet'.

The result if not goal of environmental legislation is to
cripple us back to a more primitive mud encrusted time.
They're after our cars. Now our homes.
Our poor are going to have to learn a more close to
the bone out house muddy streets kind of poverty.

All that drama aside, it is going to cost all
of us much more to live with much less.

Is that the kind of change you voted for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies