Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 04:28 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,301,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
A gay white male will do better than a black male - all else being equal.
I don't agree. With the Civil Rights laws, affirmative action and the threat of lawsuits (witness the New Haven Fire Dept situation), companies will jump at a highly qualified Black. A highly qualified Gay person is just another highly qualified person.

- Reel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmoose View Post
Just out of pure curiousity, Reel, how far to the left would you shift the bell curve for blacks?
Let me take a guess here. You're asking me how far to the left is the average Black as compared to the average White? The average Black has an IQ of about 85 and the average White has an IQ of about 100. So that's about 15 points or one standard deviation.

Is that what you mean by 'me' shifting the bell curve? I didn't shift it. You put the stats on the graph and that is where they fall. Nobody shifts it.

If I'm still missing your point, please explain what you mean by asking me how far I would shift the bell curve.

Thank you,

- Reel

Old 07-06-2009, 05:36 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
I'm not an employer but the only color I think they see is "green" and that's in the traditional sense of the word not the envirocrappola "green."

They lay off minorities in America so minorities in Asia and South America, Central America and Mexico can do the jobs more cheaply.

They bring minorities (once they arrive) here to do jobs in science and math because those minorities value an education more in those fields than our dumb pampered white kids majoring in Gender Studies and minorities who are taught to be victims by their minority leaders.

And they lay off or force out old people because they're probably "more green" (as opposed to black or white) having worked in their jobs longer and by going would save the company some green dough.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm not an employer but the only color I think they see is "green" and that's in the traditional sense of the word not the envirocrappola "green."
You nailed it, Laura!

- Reel

Old 07-06-2009, 06:33 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,779,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
I don't agree. With the Civil Rights laws, affirmative action and the threat of lawsuits (witness the New Haven Fire Dept situation), companies will jump at a highly qualified Black. A highly qualified Gay person is just another highly qualified person.

- Reel
No they don't "jump" at a highly qualified black. I know too many that have had a hard time getting jobs and had to take "2nd tier" jobs while less qualified whites got better jobs. I know of places where blacks who had military experience and high school diplomas were SUPERVISED by whites who had neither. There are exceptions such as the government and certain companies like the phone companies which hire and promote blacks (which is why blacks tend to work there) but many private employers only do so under the threat of a lawsuit.
As far as being gay, a homosexual does not need to tell an employer during an interview that he is in fact a homosexual. He can cover that up or avoid it. I have never been asked "are you a homosexual?" during a job interview. But if you are black, it is hard to cover that up.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:30 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,387,042 times
Blacks have been 'man handled' out of the top pity spot of the aggrieved and need our support.
Don't be fooled by flamboyant imitations. Spend your indignation wisely!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:55 AM

Quote:
No they don't "jump" at a highly qualified black. I know too many that have had a hard time getting jobs and had to take "2nd tier" jobs while less qualified whites got better jobs. I know of places where blacks who had military experience and high school diplomas were SUPERVISED by whites who had neither. There are exceptions such as the government and certain companies like the phone companies which hire and promote blacks (which is why blacks tend to work there) but many private employers only do so under the threat of a lawsuit.
As far as being gay, a homosexual does not need to tell an employer during an interview that he is in fact a homosexual. He can cover that up or avoid it. I have never been asked "are you a homosexual?" during a job interview. But if you are black, it is hard to cover that up.
You make some good points. I hear stories like yours and then I hear stories about some less qualified Blacks being hired and promoted because of, as you say, the fear of being sued. With all of the pressure, I don't understand why an employer would not jump at the chance to hire a qualified Black. With the climate the way it is today, I would think the Black would have the advantage all other things being equal.

- Reel

Old 07-07-2009, 10:42 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,194,757 times
Quote:
A gay white male will do better than a black male - all else being equal.
And a gay black male will do better than a straight black male - all else being equal.

I think that some blacks just don't interview well for the positions they are trying for. Let's say the in person interviews were conducted without the interviewer being able to see the applicant, knowing the race or even seeing the name of the applicant. Even without visuals, in most cases, one can tell when a black person, male or female, is speaking.

Otherwise, consider what Chanequa Campbell said about not being allowed to graduate from Harvard last month.
Quote:
“I do believe I am being singled out,” Campbell told the Boston Globe last week when asked why she was being banned from campus. “The honest answer to that is that I’m Black and I’m poor and I’m from New York and I walk a certain way and I keep my clothes a certain way. . . . It’s something that labels me as different from everyone else.”
Chanequa even knows that she walks and dresses a certain way that is different from her fellow Harvard students. She refused to try to blend in with her fellow Harvard students. And after four years of being at Harvard, why on earth would she cling to her Brooklyn street roots knowing that it was only going to hold her back?

And one can be poor and still be able to dress properly from Marshalls and thrift shops.

http://newsone.blackplanet.com/nation/why-black-harvard-won%E2%80%99t-speak-up-for-chanequa/ (broken link)

Old 07-21-2009, 01:23 PM

8 posts, read 11,439 times
Default personal experience

As a 50 yo white male, I grew up in south Minneapolis. I went to Central High school. It was very racist (against whites). I was continually harassed because I was a "white boy". I was robbed, items stolen from me and attacked. All by black people. I tried to get along, and had black friends or I should say "friend". This friend's father was very influential in the black community, but in front of my friend I was robbed despite my friend's pleading. The fact that his father was so well respected kept me from being severely hurt. The robbers were incredulous that my friend would hang out with a "white boy". Fast forward, military. My coworkers were all black and I got along great with them. While sleeping, a coworker had an argument with our supervisor (who was Hawaiian, but looked Caucasian). This Supervisor supposedly said an offensive term to my co-worker. The Hawaiian Supervisor and I (repeat: I was sleeping) were sent (on my off duty days) to racial sensitivity training. My fellow black co-workers were....not. Fast forward: I studied hard to become a Minneapolis Police Officer. Then Chief Anthony Bouza said directly to me "we are not hiring white men". My fellow classmates, some who I knew well, were drastically underqualified and appeared to me to be at a 3rd grade reading level at best. They were all (I think) hired on a special program. One had 27 warrants for his arrest. He was told to "please clear those up", before his hire date. Oh, it worked well for me, but only because I persisted. Through the years I have seen MY subordinates (minority/female) advance past me. That process is so well known that several have boasted on the ease of advancement over white male counterparts. Yes, I am talking of governement here and not the private sector, but from what I see, employers just want hard working, friendly people when dealing with the public. To many whites, or should I say "northern" people, we find loud and offensive language abrasive and intimidating. So...we are racists because of that? I am sure there are several traits whites have that blacks don't appreciate. In short, be civil, polite and have manners ( It is one of the few things that seperates us from the animals). Keep your hat on straight and pull your pants up (all races) and spare me the exclaim that it is your "culture". B.S. Standing ten on a corner where I can hear offensive language 300 feet away is no way to stop the stereotyping. Anyway, this has turned to a rant, and I apologize. I am just saying, you look at me and see "white middle age conservative dude". You don't know me. And, you are going to tell me that "your" pain from experiencing racism is more important than my personal experiences? Oh, and I have left out many, many other examples. -Truth

Old 07-21-2009, 04:27 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,550,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I find it hard to believe that in a country where the predominant voters are White, and voted in a Black man for President, you can then conclude that White business owners/employers refuse to hire Blacks over Whites.

Sorry, but it just doesn't jive. If White Americans were as racist and bigotted as so many proclaim, then Obama never would have been voted President.
Let's not forget that Obama's mother is white.........therefore he is half white!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies