Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 06:07 PM

592 posts, read 2,815,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I have a problem with the notion that someone whom I am dismissing from school due to poor academic performance may be armed. For that reason alone I do not wish to see a proliferation of guns on college and university campuses.
J, nobody wants to see such a thing. The whole problem (in my opinion) is that criminals, those bent on wasting human life, do not care about laws forbidding a particular activity. It just slays me that such a tragic event turns into a fight over gun control, and it doesn't really matter what the weapon of choice is. If someone wishes harm, they will do it. LV, if your post was pointed at me, I didn't put words in your mouth. In case folks don't realize it, there are many, many 18 YOA+ adults defending our country and providing our security thoroughout the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 06:42 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,215,386 times
No way, no how would I want to see more guns on college campuses -- for all the reasons stated above.

It's bad that 33 people were killed yesterday, but everyone was packing at colleges, those numbers would easily be in the triple digits at the end of the year. Maybe it wouldn't be 33 all at once but it would be one today, five tomorrow, two the next day. It would add up.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:31 AM

959 posts, read 2,367,707 times
UB50... Just because someone has a gun does not mean they are going to take the opportunity to go out and kill people! The intent must be there already! Read my other post on VA Tech to see all the specific examples of how crime is stopped by regular joe's who own/carry a gun. How many of those folks do you suppose went on killing sprees before or after defending their homes or lives? And I don't propose that every single person pack a weapon; but I certainly propose that professors and trained members of the student body on college campuses ought to. And if it's legal to carry a weapon in the state, the college admin. should have nothing to say about it...if someone has passed the requirements for legal conceal/carry, they are able to conceal/carry, in that state, period! Just because you're a college student shouldn't negate your constitutional and/or state rights. The best thing we can start doing is creating Citizens Task Forces in colleges, big office buildings, etc.

J33---I was a teacher too...my answer is, arm yourself then, so you can shoot back. I know how this sounds, but I'm so tired of the warm and fuzzy approach; people are dying because of it.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:38 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,120,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post

J33---I was a teacher too...my answer is, arm yourself then, so you can shoot back. I know how this sounds, but I'm so tired of the warm and fuzzy approach; people are dying because of it.
Even if I wanted to (I don't, I wouldn't even know what to do with a gun, and refuse to learn), I could not legally, given the gun laws where I live. I CATEGORICALLY REFUSE to accept a society in which one is required to arm herself to attend an academic meeting. The 'arm everyone' approach is not a solution, it is a descent into madness.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:40 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,841,526 times
Exclamation That is an absurd statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I am sending a kid off to college this year.
He'll just have to make it without packing heat.
There are enough random, sick shoot-outs at schools without armed, paranoid students accidentally killing classmates and/or professors.
Oh please!! Nobody accidentally shot professors or whatever. That is ridiculous. Where are the facts to justify such an aggregious claim??? Where are the "sick shoot-outs"?? Exactly, there are none. You are just tossing stuff out there without any hard facts. There are no such occurences.

The fact is simple. These "gun free school zones" really mean "no good guys with guns here - criminals have a free reign here" zones. That is why the Virginia Tech guy was so fearless. No one could stop him because they were not legally allowed to have guns. But did that stop the VT barbarian? NO.

Want some Kool-Aid?

Old 04-18-2007, 10:41 AM

Help change the laws where you live, then!! I have found a new calling since VT; making sure my state keeps it's gun laws as un-restrictive as possible, and educating others about guns. If you refuse to learn how to defend yourself, if not with a gun then by other means, you fall into victim category...but helpless by choice.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:48 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,841,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
No way, no how would I want to see more guns on college campuses -- for all the reasons stated above.

It's bad that 33 people were killed yesterday, but everyone was packing at colleges, those numbers would easily be in the triple digits at the end of the year. Maybe it wouldn't be 33 all at once but it would be one today, five tomorrow, two the next day. It would add up.
Read the post above. Again YOU are spilling out facts without any hard evidence to back it up. There are a TON of armed students and no shootouts and massive killings at colleges.

The reason there was a shooting is because this barbarian KNEW the college is "gun free" and no one would stop him. It is the gun control measure that is largely responsible for this tragedy.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:04 AM

+1 Nirvana...absolutely...this SOB even "tested" the water before committing this crime! He knew students were un-armed and the cops would be confused. See the interview where the VT grad student stood up for gun rights yesterday?? Great job...he countered the anti's every point with calm, rational thought...all he was thinking when the shooting was going down was, "man, I wish I had my gun." Even said it to a prof, who agreed...and this kid was LEGAL to conceal/carry in VA...just not in the campus *&%damn gun-free" zone!!

Old 04-18-2007, 11:08 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,120,385 times
So the solution is to become the wild west. I don't buy it.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:15 AM

Ah, what's the use? The solution is to encourage a society into NOT THINKING LIKE VICTIMS and learn how to responsibly use weapons, their bodies, whatever...in order to defend themselves and others against the nutjobs of this world, instead of ending up like a herd of sheep at a slaughterhouse! And this in no way is meant to disparage the brave actions of the people who DID try to shield others at VT (or anywhere). But those poor bast#rds would have been better off if campus wasn't a "gun free zone"...that graduate student would damn well have done something about it if his LEGAL concealed/carry permit wasn't negated by school admin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies