Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think you have to right to control others actions?
Yes 19 17.59%
No 89 82.41%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 04:32 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You mean shooting them may not be appropriate?????
You could make them dance... LOL

Violence hardly solves any issue. Your words and actions are far more powerful than any gun...well maybe besides the new 12g automatic shotgun that might just be the most powerful gun out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 04:33 PM

416 posts, read 407,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
What guy are you talking about?
An ex friend of mine. Big guy - 6ft something tall, 23 stone, a lot of muscle and a little older.

I'm 27, 14 stone, 5 foot 9 tall and moderate muscle and I am willing to take him on anyday.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:36 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
An ex friend of mine. Big guy - 6ft something tall, 23 stone, a lot of muscle and a little older.

I'm 27, 14 stone, 5 foot 9 tall and moderate muscle and I am willing to take him on anyday.
well what ever your actions might be...use your head first. Just a thought not trying to tell you what to do. lol

Old 07-07-2009, 04:42 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Violence hardly solves any issue. Your words and actions are far more powerful than any gun...
Perhaps.

Then again, I have personal experience that proved differently.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:47 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
The laws imposed by a civilized society are, in the final analysis, a form of judgement. They determine much of what you should and should not do and exact penalties for your failure to heed them.

To say that you don't care what anyone else does that doesn't directly affect you is a lovely, laissez faire approach to life but I doubt that most truly live up to it. For instance, overly loud (a judgement) music, the vile (a judgement) language so many use now, lack of proper hygiene and the resultant unpleasant (a judgement) odor, boorish, inconsiderate (both judgements) behavior in public, boisterous (a judgement) behavior in a restaurant, may not directly affect me per se but, in the long run, lack of civility coarsens society as a whole.

On an individual basis, I try to remember that when I have one finger pointed at you, I have three more pointed back at myself. Granted, I don't always succeed.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:55 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The laws imposed by a civilized society are, in the final analysis, a form of judgement. They determine much of what you should and should not do and exact penalties for your failure to heed them.

To say that you don't care what anyone else does that doesn't directly affect you is a lovely, laissez faire approach to life but I doubt that most truly live up to it. For instance, overly loud (a judgement) music, the vile (a judgement) language so many use now, lack of proper hygiene and the resultant unpleasant (a judgement) odor, boorish, inconsiderate (both judgements) behavior in public, boisterous (a judgement) behavior in a restaurant, may not directly affect me per se but, in the long run, lack of civility coarsens society as a whole.

On an individual basis, I try to remember that when I have one finger pointed at you, I have three more pointed back at myself. Granted, I don't always succeed.
Your analysis is most accurate ; and ill add that we need to speak out against such apathetic people who only have self interest at hand.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:56 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
I am curious to know what gives us the right as individuals or groups to judge another person or group?

Is it life experience, Knowledge, or Morals?

Seriously, why are so many openly judging others? When you see someone do you automatically judge without question?

I personally beleive that it should not matter what another person is doing as long as it is not hurting or interfering in your life. Since we have to option to walk away, we should never judge.

Do you think you have the right to judge others? Why?

Why do you feel the need to control others lives and actions?

What makes you a better person then them?

I say when you feel like judging...pull out a mirror and start there...when you start to feel that you are perfect...find a new mirror.
I agree with your premise...it is so American ...we judge everyone, every country and everything...but think we are always right....causes a lot of hate and discourse in this world.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:01 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I agree with your premise...it is so American ...we judge everyone, every country and everything...but think we are always right....causes a lot of hate and discourse in this world.
And I agree with you for agreeing with him(careful or we'll all have to "get a room")

I think we as a country are so arrogant nowdays and that blind arrogance is going to lead to major failure for us one day imo.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:27 PM

416 posts, read 407,986 times
That major failure has already happened twice - 1861 - 1865 and now.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:39 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
That major failure has already happened twice - 1861 - 1865 and now.
Yep....they have us seperated into different herds,different pastures,facing each other and the lightning is getting ready to hit and when it does,they'll just sit on the hill and watch the stampede until it's over.

Problem with that scenario is...WE ARE DOING IT TO OURSELVES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies