Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your upbringing in regards to homosexuality
Was raised to believe it was a sin, still believe it, and so does the rest of the country. 15 13.51%
Most people in the country believe it to be a sin. Same with the people I know. 13 11.71%
Most people believe it is sinful like telling a white lie is sinful. 7 6.31%
Nope I was raised with really cool parents that do not follow bigoted beliefs. 35 31.53%
No. I was raised in a very neutral household. 42 37.84%
No. I always believed homosexuality was normal and cool. So does everyone I know. 13 11.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:06 PM

20,300 posts, read 37,246,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
I think that most people that were raised in a religious household probably heard this. And, even if people weren't raised in a religious household, many still have heard this.

Many people in the U.S. are heterosexist. Because it is so hard to challenge one's religious beliefs, it becomes convenient for some to simply fall back on the "homosexuality is a sin" argument. And, of course, some people strongly believe this. Yet others, who may not be religious at all, may still fall back on this argument.

When homosexuality gets constructed in this manner, it becomes that much harder to work to eradicate heterosexism.
I was raised in a very Christian home, and I never heard my parents and brothers say such things. I saw the type ridicule a couple of homosexual men when through, and that was enough for me to know that there was something fishy about it, and always kept at a distance from such. As I dated girls, I realized that homosexuality wasn't necessarily a sin, but abnormal. However, I have nothing against anybody who has sex with another of the same sex. I just stood clear from such things, didn't expose my children to it, and didn't judge others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,924,988 times
I was raised to believe it was a sin.. and I turned out gay... in fact.. I grew up with lots of self loathing and inner battles with my gayness.. till one day when I was 15.. I just came out with it... went to church and was called in and "talked to" I pretty much knew then and there that everything I was taught at church was a ridiculous lie, and I could see the fakeness and absurdity in all of their eyes..
so.. being the mouthy 15yo that I was I proceded to throw every name in the book at them... the entire clergy in front of everyone at church after I found everyone gossiping about me.. even people I considered my close friends...
I really do hate religion.. I hate the people that run them, the people that produce the lies, and false everything.. it's all so much horse sh*t I can't even tell you.. and yes.. hate is a strong word.. and I really HATE religion....

Old 07-06-2009, 11:29 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,988,843 times
So because you say people ridiculed a couple of gay men you then decided there was something fishy about it but then you go on to say you aren't judgmental and then you go on to say you keep your kids away from it. That is judgmental and you just lied. So much for being christian LMAO. You can't even get your own facts straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I was raised in a very Christian home, and I never heard my parents and brothers say such things. I saw the type ridicule a couple of homosexual men when through, and that was enough for me to know that there was something fishy about it, and always kept at a distance from such. As I dated girls, I realized that homosexuality wasn't necessarily a sin, but abnormal. However, I have nothing against anybody who has sex with another of the same sex. I just stood clear from such things, didn't expose my children to it, and didn't judge others.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:31 PM

I wasn't raised around such useless morons thank Goodness but I do acknowledge your struggle. Organized religion seems to be a magnet for morons, and endless selfishness. It's virtually a cult. The sad part is the people are aloud to live amongst the normal people in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I was raised to believe it was a sin.. and I turned out gay... in fact.. I grew up with lots of self loathing and inner battles with my gayness.. till one day when I was 15.. I just came out with it... went to church and was called in and "talked to" I pretty much knew then and there that everything I was taught at church was a ridiculous lie, and I could see the fakeness and absurdity in all of their eyes..
so.. being the mouthy 15yo that I was I proceded to throw every name in the book at them... the entire clergy in front of everyone at church after I found everyone gossiping about me.. even people I considered my close friends...
I really do hate religion.. I hate the people that run them, the people that produce the lies, and false everything.. it's all so much horse sh*t I can't even tell you.. and yes.. hate is a strong word.. and I really HATE religion....

Last edited by artsyguy; 07-06-2009 at 11:46 PM..

Old 07-06-2009, 11:32 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,924,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I have to make up my own answer because none of yours fits.

No. I always believed homosexuality was abnormal and looked perverse. So does most of the country.
"so does most of the country"

well most of the country sucks... and goes to church.. which is a bunch of crap... and what??
majority validates your bigoted opinion somehow? only says to me that there's a pack of you out there.. and you all suck... how bout them apples?

Old 07-06-2009, 11:38 PM

Remember when few people believed that the world was round. While most said it was flat. LMAO. Oh Boy........

To be honest most adults and younger adults don't have time or energy to go to church but they still call themselves Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
"so does most of the country"

well most of the country sucks... and goes to church.. which is a bunch of crap... and what??
majority validates your bigoted opinion somehow? only says to me that there's a pack of you out there.. and you all suck... how bout them apples?

Old 07-06-2009, 11:43 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,282,757 times
It never came up.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
Homosexuality was never demonized in my household growing up. I did a lot of music, arts, and theatre in high school, and my house was always one of not that many in our small, rural community where my peers who were gay but for the most part not yet out felt comfortable coming and spending time.

My mom was and is very open and accepting. My dad is in general not as comfortable with ways of being that do not mirror his own (and this carries over not just to matters of sexuality, he can be rather rigidly personally resistant about most anything with which he doesn't personally identify), but he always remained outwardly neutral and accepting in that regard. He always treated my gay friends with the same respect he did all my friends, regardless of his not being able to really identify, and being a leeeeetle bit repressed overall. One of my best college friends, he didn't even REALIZE was gay pretty far into our friendship.

I also was raised in a liberal mainstream Protestant church that is cool with homosexuality, so I never got any anti-gay agenda through my time at church, youth group, etc. I've gone on to attend church led by openly gay clergy, in fact. I definitely don't advocate the "religion is for bigoted idiots" stance, largely due to these experiences. Claiming that is every bit as bigoted as gay bashing is. Some religious beliefs are very live and let live, others are sadly not. Painting them all, and all people who identify as religious, with the same brush is no less ridiculous than spouting off ignorant blanket statements about people based on their sexual orientation. Interestingly, my mom, who is the more tolerant parent, overall, was raised in an extremely homophobic church...but those teachings never stuck, along with the majority of the hellfire/brimstone stuff.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 07-06-2009 at 11:54 PM..

Old 07-06-2009, 11:48 PM

Thank you for your input. What part of the country did you grow up in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Homosexuality was never demonized in my household growing up. I did a lot of music, arts, and theatre in high school, and my house was always one of not that many in our small, rural community where my peers who were gay but for the most part not yet out felt comfortable coming and spending time.

My mom was and is very open and accepting. My dad is in general not as comfortable with ways of being that do not mirror his own (and this carries over not just to matters of sexuality, he can be rather rigid about most anything with which he doesn't identify personally), but he always remained outwardly neutral and accepting in that regard.

I also was raised in a liberal mainstream Protestant church that is cool with homosexuality, so I never got any anti-gay agenda through my time at church, youth group, etc. I've gone on to attend church led by openly gay clergy, in fact.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:00 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Thank you for your input. What part of the country did you grow up in?
Rural Midwest, on a farm closest to a community of 350 and another community of about 7,000. Also where my father was raised. My mother was raised splitting time between that region of the country and with extended family in the deep Appalachian south. I still live in the Midwest, only in a large metro area for the time being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies