Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your upbringing in regards to homosexuality
Was raised to believe it was a sin, still believe it, and so does the rest of the country. 15 13.51%
Most people in the country believe it to be a sin. Same with the people I know. 13 11.71%
Most people believe it is sinful like telling a white lie is sinful. 7 6.31%
Nope I was raised with really cool parents that do not follow bigoted beliefs. 35 31.53%
No. I was raised in a very neutral household. 42 37.84%
No. I always believed homosexuality was normal and cool. So does everyone I know. 13 11.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:09 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times

Advertisements

I couldn't vote because there's no option along the lines of "my mother believes homosexuality is a sin but she is full of it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 08:25 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
I come from very good-hearted, country, Texas people. I had two uncles who were gay and my mom told me at an early age that they were "*****." When I asked what that meant, she explained that instead of liking women, they liked men. That was pretty much the end of the discussion. She never kept us away from them and they were my two favorite uncles. They stayed in the closet all their lives. That I know of, they were never ostracized by anyone in the family. Neither ever married.

I don't remember my dad ever saying anything about gays one way or another. He was raised in the Baptist Church but never attended church. Nor did my mom, although they both believed in God.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:07 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
And what are your thoughts about it now as a matured person.

I personally do not care what two consenting adults do in their sex lives and do not consider it any of my business whatsoever. I believe that all U.S. citizens are entitled to equal rights for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness....and I believe that means the right to marry the person they love. I also believe that Don't ask don't tell is an abomination and that our current president should have the courage to admit that, as Commander in Chief, he could suspend this abomination tomorrow and re-instate all of those courageous men and women who chose to protect the country who will not do the same for them.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:19 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
I was raised to believe it was weird and unnatural. I didn't grow up going to church either. I am a christian now, and though I DO think homosexuality is a sin, I really don't care about what people do in their bedrooms. I also get along well with the gay people I do know because I don't let their homosexuality define who they are in my mind. They are people. Period. And you treat them with respect and dignity regardless.

I also don't see why my opinion on homosexuality should affect public policy. Just because they do something I consider a sin doesn't mean that they shouldn't have rights. Not like I'll be in the streets marching for gay rights, but I won't be upset if Civil Unions are passed either.

Sorry, long answer, but that's where I'm at on that one right now.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:23 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
I have to make up my own answer because none of yours fits.

No. I always believed homosexuality was abnormal and looked perverse. So does most of the country.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:30 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Well you are losing on this poll. So ha ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I have to make up my own answer because none of yours fits.

No. I always believed homosexuality was abnormal and looked perverse. So does most of the country.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:06 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Most of the country? According to who - you?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:06 PM

You are not gay therefore you are missing out and losing by default .

Quote:
I'm losing? I'm not a gay person so I win by default

Old 07-06-2009, 10:07 PM

Don't feel bad a recent poll said only 40% of people polled viewed homosexuality as unacceptable.

That's still a lot of bigots though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Most of the country? According to who - you?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:09 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Don't feel bad a recent poll said only 40% of people polled viewed homosexuality as unacceptable.
I don't feel bad at all. I don't have much regard for that crowd. They're almost like foreigners to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies