Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:23 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
The ideal life would be to come home from work, go to a restaurant or bar, and then go to your tent and go to bed.
Maybe that would be your ideal life, but mine involves a lot more. Call me "greedy" and superficial, but I need somewhere where I can raise a family. It's kind of difficult to bring up children in a tent and take them to the bar every night to eat.

Does anyone else besides me actually have a family and think about what living in the real world and raising a family means in the context of these wacky ideas like living in a tent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 07:23 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,310,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Maybe that would be your ideal life, but mine involves a lot more. Call me "greedy" and superficial, but I need somewhere where I can raise a family. It's kind of difficult to bring up children in a tent and take them to the bar every night to eat.

Does anyone else besides me actually have a family and think about what living in the real world and raising a family means in the context of these wacky ideas like living in a tent?

Without doing any research, I'd bet that worldwide more families live in tents or similar structures than there are houses in America.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:47 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Quote:
If people want to get a tent and live on the hill taking showers at the Y, or in the lake why are they unable to do so? If people were allowed to do this there would be less debt. Who needs TV. The ideal life would be to come home from work, go to a restaurant or bar, and then go to your tent and go to bed.
Wow!

I trust you've never been to a true 3rd world society?

Old 07-13-2009, 09:03 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Of course there is a law saying you have to have a fixed address. Your govt wants to keep track of where you are and what you do.

HIEL HITLER !!!!!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:10 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Without doing any research, I'd bet that worldwide more families live in tents or similar structures than there are houses in America.
And I bet if you did research you'd find that more families worldwide eat and drink contaminated food and water, and the children and parents are illiterate.

What's your point?

Old 07-13-2009, 09:11 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
There is no such law. However, there are zoning laws and laws against loitering, trespassing as well as laws regarding access to and uses of various types of property, most of which is either owned by someone or under government control. There are also sanitation laws, littering laws, laws about everything and then some.
Not everywhere with all that stuff. I could live in a tent if I wanted on my land, no zoning, permits, no septic system required (could build an outhouse, or, even not do that if desired). The trespassing laws are quite loose as well, not so good in some cases, unless land is posted (then you can shoot a person if they refuse to leave...).

To the OP: in most states, nothing is stopping you from doing what you suggested. Many people live in tents, though usually temporarily (lots of people will stay in a tent while building a home in AK for instance, and some trappers or hunters will live in a tent for quite a while in the wilderness). I've done something similar to your idea in VT, but I'm more into self-sufficiency so no restaurants or bars for me. Did a lot of small game hunting and fishing while I was out there. Might do the same this trapping season if I don't have a job in the way. Private land requires owner permission usually, government land if not run by the NPS often doesn't but frequently there are rules against extended stays in the same place. So you just move around as needed to follow that. But I've never even bumped into a forest ranger at the national forest's designated wilderness areas here. Only in the more popular developed areas...

Old 07-13-2009, 09:13 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
If people want to get a tent and live on the hill taking showers at the Y, or in the lake why are they unable to do so? If people were allowed to do this there would be less debt. Who needs TV. The ideal life would be to come home from work, go to a restaurant or bar, and then go to your tent and go to bed.
Sounds real ideal to me.

There's no law against that as far as I'm aware. Go for it!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:14 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Not everywhere with all that stuff. I could live in a tent if I wanted on my land, no zoning, permits, no septic system required (could build an outhouse, or, even not do that if desired). The trespassing laws are quite loose as well, not so good in some cases, unless land is posted (then you can shoot a person if they refuse to leave...).

To the OP: in most states, nothing is stopping you from doing what you suggested. Many people live in tents, though usually temporarily (lots of people will stay in a tent while building a home in AK for instance, and some trappers or hunters will live in a tent for quite a while). I've done something similar to your idea in VT, but I'm more into self-sufficiency so no restaurants or bars for me. Did a lot of small game hunting and fishing while I was out there. Private land requires owner permission usually, government land if not run by the NPS often doesn't but frequently there are rules against extended stays in the same place. So you just move around as needed to follow that. But I've never even bumped into a forest ranger at the national forest's designated wilderness areas here. Only in the more popular developed areas...
At this point in our discussion, someone should grab a HS Bio text and look up the term "Carrying Capacity".

Old 07-14-2009, 06:41 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
At this point in our discussion, someone should grab a HS Bio text and look up the term "Carrying Capacity".
Yeah? When there's not too many people in an area, no problem. But I wonder if the OP knows what it's really like to be in a tent...oh the stories I could tell about some "friendly" wildlife visits at night...nothing like having a bear in the campsite or a porcupine getting into the tent...I question if the OP is the type that can handle it.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:32 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
We plan to live in our 'barn'...well it will be living quarters upstairs and part of downstairs.

We currently have no toilet and use a porta potti when up there,it works fine.

We cook on a grill,bathe using water heated on the grill and a large container although last time we took a bath in our future bath tub(a stock tank).We also had built an outside shower using a propane burner,a 5 gallon steel pot and a 12volt pump.

We have our own well,our own septic in but not hooked up yet and will be raising our own food as much as possible.
No need for TV,we watch the fireflies,no need for radio we listen to the cows lowing way down the hill...

People live in yurts which are similar to tents and you could simply dig a hole for an outhouse.

If you CHOOSE to live a different life it is indeed possible,no matter what the naysayers might think...

You soon learn the herd doesn't like those who stray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies