Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 11:26 AM

454 posts, read 796,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Prisons and orphanages cost a lot of money...

But we can re-educate the poor while putting them to work to earn their keep. No more high cost public works projects when the labor is free and compelled. Work shall set them free! They will leave with a clean financial slate, skills, and a work history. What's not to like?

As for orphanages, yes, they are expensive, but well worth the price of breaking the cycle of poverty that they are learning from their parents. Orphanages have done a stellar job with children throughout history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 04:19 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Because while I dont mind my tax dollars providing for food for families, I do NOT support them buying $500+ dollar wedding cakes for their family and 100+ people!
Nor do I support buying deli platters for parties either.

Feed your family. Dont throw a party with my tax money.
Wow I didn't think it was normal for people to get $500+ a month in food stamps In Fl a family of 4 only gets you $300 -something...that must be like a family of 10 or something

Old 07-13-2009, 04:24 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Not only have I heard it, Ive seen it, and have rung them up!

Because while I dont mind my tax dollars providing for food for families, I do NOT support them buying $500+ dollar wedding cakes for their family and 100+ people!
Nor do I support buying deli platters for parties either.

Feed your family. Dont throw a party with my tax money.
You've rung them up...what kind of place do you work at? If they have $500 wedding cakes, it must be some sort of gourmet type of place; I wasn't aware that places like this are set up to accept food stamps. Hell, we have a gourmet seafood establishment, maybe I should look into taking them if poor people are spending that kind of bank on upscale items.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You've rung them up...what kind of place do you work at? If they have $500 wedding cakes, it must be some sort of gourmet type of place; I wasn't aware that places like this are set up to accept food stamps. Hell, we have a gourmet seafood establishment, maybe I should look into taking them if people are spending that kind of bank on upscale items.
I know I was thinking the same thing "where does she work". Especially since she claims to live in a crappy neighborhood where $10 hourly is considered "good money". The stories just get wilder and wilder.

This one time when I had food stamps I purchased a flat screen television.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:30 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Wow I didn't think it was normal for people to get $500+ a month in food stamps In Fl a family of 4 only gets you $300 -something...that must be like a family of 10 or something
I know a chick with only 2 children that gets 567.00 a mth in Broward county Fla. Then I know another one in Fla with 2 children and she gets a little over 350.00 a mth but was working when she applied

Old 07-13-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I know a chick with only 2 children that gets 567.00 a mth in Broward county Fla. Then I know another one in Fla with 2 children and she gets a little over 350.00 a mth but was working when she applied
Of course you do

Ugh now I have to go and look since it has been several years since I've been on food stamps and unlike others I actually attempt to say accurate information - maybe they're just throwing food stamps at people these days.

Ahh it would appear you're right - according to the Access One website a Federal law was passed in March raising the amount of monthly benefits. As of April 2009 a family of 4 with a Gross Income under $1,907 qualifies for $526 monthly. I guess if that was a full-time job it'd be a little under $12 an hour - so there you go; the people you see on food stamps do have income and are paying taxes so it's okay now. We can all stop complaining about them wasting our tax dollars.

The Florida Department of Children and Families

Old 07-13-2009, 08:43 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,294,766 times
Hey, why not just seek have all poor people executed, just for not living up to your standards? At least there would be no need for food stamps and I'm guessing that there would be several members of CD that would just love to "flip the switch".

Old 07-13-2009, 09:13 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,294,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Sure you do...and I bet she has a nice plasma TV too?

Old 07-13-2009, 09:46 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmoose View Post
But we can re-educate the poor while putting them to work to earn their keep. No more high cost public works projects when the labor is free and compelled. Work shall set them free! They will leave with a clean financial slate, skills, and a work history. What's not to like?

As for orphanages, yes, they are expensive, but well worth the price of breaking the cycle of poverty that they are learning from their parents. Orphanages have done a stellar job with children throughout history.
I do hope you are being facetious. If not -

Old 07-14-2009, 01:22 PM

454 posts, read 796,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I do hope you are being facetious. If not -
tongue planted firmly in cheek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies