Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 06:31 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
The more you write, the more your personality comes out. Its SAD.
Please excuse me for not being a warm, happy-go-lucky teddy bear. I'll work on it immediately JUST for you....

Look at the handle, dearie. It doesnt lie.

Its even sadder that you've nothing better to do than analyze people's personalities via a few paragraphs on an internet forum. I've never heard of an internet psychologist. Is it a hobby? If so, do you not have some other hobby you could make yourself useful ( and possibly be more accurate) at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 07:45 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Please excuse me for not being a warm, happy-go-lucky teddy bear. I'll work on it immediately JUST for you....
You might want to work on it for yourself...being unhappy is no way to enjoy life. There's a difference between sympathy and empathy.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:05 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
Quote:

Look at the handle, dearie. It doesnt lie.

Its even sadder that you've nothing better to do than analyze people's personalities via a few paragraphs on an internet forum. I've never heard of an internet psychologist. Is it a hobby? If so, do you not have some other hobby you could make yourself useful ( and possibly be more accurate) at?
To use the word analyze would seem to suggest that you had left something unclear. Your attitude and personality presented here on this thread are VERY clear, nothing to analyze.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:34 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
You might want to work on it for yourself...being unhappy is no way to enjoy life. There's a difference between sympathy and empathy.
And I'll openly admit Ive very little of either for complete strangers and/or the general population at large, nor the desire to develop such. People in general suck until they prove otherwise.

quote=Lindsey_Mcfarren;9865356]To use the word analyze would seem to suggest that you had left something unclear. Your attitude and personality presented here on this thread are VERY clear, nothing to analyze.[/quote]

Ive always thought that personalities are like stones. No stone is alike.Many different facets, many different angles, and not everyone will see each and every facet. Point being, it isnt wise to assume the entire personality of another based solely on a thread. Sarcastic, cynical, opinionated biatch is only one facet to this particular Diamond.

And on that note, ladies, my opinion still stands, but I'll bid you both adieu.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:19 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
Quote:
And I'll openly admit Ive very little of either for complete strangers and/or the general population at large, nor the desire to develop such. People in general suck until they prove otherwise.

quote=Lindsey_Mcfarren;9865356]To use the word analyze would seem to suggest that you had left something unclear. Your attitude and personality presented here on this thread are VERY clear, nothing to analyze.
Ive always thought that personalities are like stones. No stone is alike.Many different facets, many different angles, and not everyone will see each and every facet. Point being, it isnt wise to assume the entire personality of another based solely on a thread. Sarcastic, cynical, opinionated biatch is only one facet to this particular Diamond.

And on that note, ladies, my opinion still stands, but I'll bid you both adieu.[/quote]

I'm sure that thinking you are a many faceted stone gets you through those cold and lonely nights. BUT in your case, your ONE facet outshines anything else that might be hiding there. It blocks out the light.

AND whats funny is you think your FACETS have aided you in expressing a valid opinion when in fact they have detracted from your opinion in the beginning. Your words are what you would expect to find coming from a crackpot, someone no one pays attention to.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:27 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
I'd guess that if all these guys buy her stuff, mabye that stuff is her corvette, her clothes ect. Either that or she's got a large source of under the table income. I've been on food stamps before and they make you prove that you make under a certain amount of money to qualify. The reason that you saw all these people with $400 of stuff in their cart is probably because they are using their whole monthly benefit at once. It's a good system that helps alot of people out that really need it, especially nowdays given the current state of the economy. Yeah there are alot of people that take advantage of the system and I can understand how that would **** you off. But for everyone that takes advantage of the system, I promise you there are alot more that are putting it to good use.
I would bet that for every one person who really needs it, there is another person who is on it that doesn't really qualify.
It's amazing, I could "pretend" to move out on my wife and kids, even keep paying the bills, and she would be able to go out and get state assistance.
One of her ex-friends has 2 kids. She claims one to get benefits and her mother claims the other to get her own set of benefits, including section 8 housing. And her mother isn't even here legally!!!

and people wonder why we shudder when the gov't wants to more involved in our lives.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Could be.

I also wonder how the OP knew that the people buying all that food in the store were using food stamps. The last food stamp thread had an OP who would look closely at the cards, but surely not everyone does that.
I do. It's something I do just to get the BP up. The woman in front of me with the $300 hair extensions, manicured nails and $400 smartphone swiping her food stamps card. It is easy to tell here in texas at walmart because they now have their own slot to slide in to.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Like its many brothers and sisters, this entire thread is a complete crock. The actual national fraud rate for the food stamp program is about 2%. In states that have stricter monitoring programs such as Pennsylvania, it's about one-half of 1%. Where food stamp fraud does occur, many more dollars worth of it are perpetrated by the rightwing's beloved small businesses than by recipients.

The current general benefit per month for a family of two is $367 MINUS 30% of net household income. For a family of four, it is $668 MINUS 30% of net household income. The average per person monthly benefit is just over $100.
so you really think they know everyone that defrauds the gov't??? That 2% are only the ones that get caught.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
It does not take into account others who find themselves in a position to need assistance. For instance - my first husband was disabled. He was legally blind (and has probably lost all of his sight by now) and had disabling asthma. Even though he was more than willing to work, no one could hire him because of insurance issues. In the mid-1980's, he received $276 a month in SSI benefits, plus Medicaid. Had I worked over a certain (very low) amount, he would have lost his benefits, which would have included losing Medicaid. At an average of 6 hospitalizations per year for asthma, plus multiple ER visits, I don't think we'd have been off assistance for very long.

Now, to look at us at the time - a young couple in our 20's, apparently healthy - you would never have known that he was disabled. When I was with him, he didn't use a cane, so we used a hand-holding guiding system. The poster who suggested that anyone who isn't very old or very young is lazy would have immediately decided that we were scamming the system. In reality, our worst offense was buying items a few cents over a dollar so that we could use the change to buy luxuries like toilet paper, tampons, and laundry detergent.

That's why it's cruel.
but that doesn't include the regular social security disability that you can get regardless of family income or the medicare that he also qualifies for.
talk about b/s.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emh View Post
My my you do have a way with words. I'll grant you that.

Let's see....in your original story you stated that your co-worker drives a brand new corvette. Of course, it turns out that the corvette doesn't belong to her. So what was the point of putting that in the original story? It seems to me that the reason you did this was to embellish your story and make the situation sound worse than it really is. And yet, somehow, I'm supposed to take your word that the rest of your story is 100% true??? Sorry, but I'll pass.

Secondly, as has been pointed out my multiple posters, Food Stamps can only be used at McDonald's in rare circumstances. Circumstances that clearly don't apply to your co-worker. You have yet to offer any explanation for that.
no, you just have your head so far up obama's rear, that you couldn't possibly believe that people cheat the system. you are probably one of those people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies