Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:28 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times

Advertisements

I'm not a Caliphobic. That's hilarious. I don't think most of the rest of us are either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 08:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
My response to them would be: Too bad. As Americans, we can move to whatever state we want.

There's a long history of animosity toward Californians. A lot of people are envious, jealous, intimidated, or even afraid of California. One might call it "Caliphobia". With just a little bit of talk therapy, most Caliphobics can overcome their fear and hatred of people and things associated with California.
I agree. I've met people over the course of my life who have moved here and are seriously star struck, and not just in a "Hollywood" way although I'm sure that's part of it. CA has been built up in the minds of many people through the movies, music, culture, boom times (from the gold rush to the Dot.com era) so they come here. And they will continue to come here. Even now with people leaving to lower COL states there are still those who think of CA as the promised land. Don't know if that will ever change regardless of the economy. To me it's just home and I'm not going anywhere.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:33 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Well then CA and TX seem to have a lot in Common.
Texaphobia, mostly created by HOLLYWOOD, is very strong.
Hmm. Mostly created by Hollywood? I don't know. For me, I think it comes naturally. But I have rational reasons for my Texaphobia - although I guess it's a little oxymoronic to say that. (And please, hold the jokes about me being a moron. )

Old 07-13-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'm not a Caliphobic. That's hilarious. I don't think most of the rest of us are either.
You're in denial. Admitting it is the first step to recovery.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:35 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Quote:
Hmm. Mostly created by Hollywood? I don't know. For me, I think it comes naturally. But I have rational reasons for my Texaphobia.

Really? They are very much like Sonoma County residents in my VAST experience.

edit- NATIVE Sonoma County that is

Old 07-13-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I agree. I've met people over the course of my life who have moved here and are seriously star struck, and not just in a "Hollywood" way although I'm sure that's part of it. CA has been built up in the minds of many people through the movies, music, culture, boom times (from the gold rush to the Dot.com era) so they come here. And they will continue to come here. Even now with people leaving to lower COL states there are still those who think of CA as the promised land. Don't know if that will ever change regardless of the economy. To me it's just home and I'm not going anywhere.
I know. When I look at the Los Angeles forum and see how many people are starry-eyed about moving to California, I almost feel bad for them. A lot of them are very young and don't have much money.

I was never really into "Hollywood" so I never had any fantasies about L.A. I was mostly unimpressed with the place from the first time I was there as an adult. It's definitely not an aesthetically attractive place - at least not to me.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:40 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
You're in denial. Admitting it is the first step to recovery.
I was voluntarily in California in May. I will be voluntarily in California again in September.

I have family and friends in California and, no, I do not view them in some weird, "phobic" manner for being Californians.

Not Caliphobic.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Really? They are very much like Sonoma County residents in my VAST experience.

edit- NATIVE Sonoma County that is
It's mostly the laws and the influence of religion on the culture of Texas that turns me off. It's not a live-and-let-live-type of place, in my opinion.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:46 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
I know. When I look at the Los Angeles forum and see how many people are starry-eyed about moving to California, I almost feel bad for them. A lot of them are very young and don't have much money.

I was never really into "Hollywood" so I never had any fantasies about L.A. I was mostly unimpressed with the place from the first time I was there as an adult. It's definitely not an aesthetically attractive place - at least not to me.
Yes. I'm from NorCal and SoCal is like another world to me. I think that is one of the draws of CA...it's large coast line and the enormous North/South expanse provides so many different environments.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:49 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Quote:
It's mostly the laws and the influence of religion on the culture of Texas that turns me off. It's not a live-and-let-live-type of place, in my opinion.

really? hmmm. As an atheist, I haven hit religious "influence" in decades. HUGE gay population.

have you really ever spent time here? Dallas or Houston? Pretty damn close to live and let live. More so than provencial NYC areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies