Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:24 PM

46,940 posts, read 25,969,275 times

Advertisements

I suspect the good Visvaldis is having little joke on our expense, here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 03:26 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,387,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
No one should be banned from seeking office or voting based solely on their ideas, unless one seeks to create an entirely less free and more tyrannical nation.

Absolutely,at the same time whoever wins power should not have power to do whatever they want.So far the Constitution and Bill of Rights has done a decent job protecting against "mob rules".However it is a fight never ending.And there is a certain truth to the fact that the erosion of our Bill of Rights has been occuring,some people call it "progress".

Last edited by lionking; 07-16-2009 at 03:35 PM..

Old 07-16-2009, 04:08 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,454,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Exactly....there has to be a middle ground for folks like me and if left wingers ruled only,I would be left out and if right wingers ruled,again I and the folks like me would be left out.
Same

Quote:
Get rid of the extremists from both parties and it would be a perfect country again
I don't know about perfect - but we'd certainly be on a much better track.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:14 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times
Quote:
Exactly....there has to be a middle ground for folks like me and if left wingers ruled only,I would be left out and if right wingers ruled,again I and the folks like me would be left out.

Get rid of the extremists from both parties and it would be a perfect country again
(except for the "again")

Old 07-16-2009, 04:15 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Absolutely,at the same time whoever wins power should not have power to do whatever they want.So far the Constitution and Bill of Rights has done a decent job protecting against "mob rules".However it is a fight never ending.And there is a certain truth to the fact that the erosion of our Bill of Rights has been occuring,some people call it "progress".
I agree. Mob rule is potentially one of the worst things that could happen. Personally my preference is to have divided government between the parties preferably with a Democratic president and Republican congress, (better SCOTUS justices, less spending and fewer wars that way imho). Though at the same time I will not vote against individuals I like just because they do not fit this formula.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:26 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Should Liberals Be Kept Out Of All Local, State, and National Government?
Some threads suggest that liberals are communists. One recent thread tried to make the case that liberalism is a psychological disorder.
If liberals are insane, never do anything right and are always wrong about everything all the time...if liberals have a secret agenda (either intentional or unintentional) to destroy America...should they be allowed to make any decisions for local, state, or national government?
They've tried that experiment already. It's called "Arizona" and it completely sucks to live there.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:12 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
In the spirit of the original poster: you want a liberal or two on local elected boards, that way the officials that actually get things accomplished, like building roads, schools and sewers, have someone to make fun of when the liberal brings up things like prettier street lights, nuclear free zones, requiring people in town own no more than one car and different flowers in the planting beds.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:16 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Liberalism is one of the best things ever for America and Her People.

Long live Liberalism!

Ya its working wonders.... Trillions in the hole and only 6 months in...

"Only problem with Soicalism is....Sooner or later you run out of other peoples money"

Old 07-16-2009, 05:41 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Should Liberals Be Kept Out Of All Local, State, and National Government
Absolutely NOT!

For heavens sakes - we need all the ideas we can get - Conservative, Liberal, Libertarian etc.

What we DO NEED however is an informed electorate.

We need voters who get to know the issues - get to know the candidates - communicate with their elected officials - hold their feet to the fire.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:42 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Long live Liberalism!
How about; Long live Liberalism, Conservatism, Libertarianism ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies