Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:13 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,087,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I'm against Affirmative Action. Maybe back in the day, I'd have approved of it, but I think it's run its course now
I forgot that one on my list too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 09:14 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,079,236 times
I also lean towards the abolishment of welfare and am against legalizing all drugs that aren't marijuana.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:59 PM

785 posts, read 1,050,484 times
I thought of another one. I'm at the very least skeptical of corn-based ethanol. I've read studies that show it may actually increase our carbon footprint if we take non-direct effects into account. For example, as we use more of our farmland to produce ethanol, it causes less food to be produced which causes people in other countries to do things like cut down rainforests to make farmland. It's caused alot of problems in Mexico becuase the price of tortillas skyrocketed due to ethanol production. We've spend like 14 out of the last 15 years dumping heavily subsidized corn on mexico's market, driving their small corn farmers out of business. Now that so many Mexican corn farmers have been forced to sell their land, we start using our corn to produce fuel. With that said, I'm not against all forms of ethanol, I'm just very leery of corn ethanol.

Alot of staunch right wingers seem to be against corporate farm subsidies as well. While I'm a staunch opponent of corporate farm subsidies, the form asked me to name 1 or more issues where you disagree with those that you usually agree with politically. I'd say that almost anyone that usually agrees with me politically isn't going to approve of the government using tax money to subsidize the wealthy.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:17 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,535,386 times
I am very left wing as far as social equality.......but believe in being fiscally conservative.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:52 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I cant STAND political correctness. I hate what has happened to "academia". Im against illegal immigration, think English should be the official language. I have no patience with people who say we need to get out of the Mideast "NOW." I wish the unions hadnt become corrupt and dont see a way to change them. I wish the only drug people were interested in was pot.
You just destroyed yourself as a lib. I say that because I agree with you on almost every thing you said and that is a normal conservative and a sometimes lib talking. Sometimes is about all you can claim and that is why I so often agree with you. Neither of us is very heavily the way we take sides.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:58 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I'm a liberal but I support:

1. Gun rights because otherwise only criminals will have guns. Guns are ubiquitous and they aren't going anywhere. Most people would like to live in a place where they would never need a gun to protect themselves, but that's not America in 2009. If someone breaks into my house and threatens my family they are getting double-tapped.

2. States rights, I think the feds have too much power. More local control will lead to better, more responsive government.

3. Fiscal responsibility on the part of government. Taxes are fine, but spend it wisely or give it back to the people and let them spend it.

4. Further welfare reform that enables and requires people recieving benefits to work. Nobody should be getting a paycheck for sitting at home watching Oprah.

5. Strengthening the border so that nobody is able to sneak through illegally. Even if we have to change the law and put the military on the border, let's get it done.

6. Ending the P.C. era in academia. Some "ideas" are just stupid. Also, some people are just stupid and shouldn't be "socially promoted" by the school system. Not everyone is gifted. Live with it.

7. Making English the official language. This includes ending the practice of printing government forms in any other language. Learn English if you want to live in the US. It's not that hard.

8. Ending late-term abortion. If the baby can survive outside the womb, it's not a choice, it's murder. Anyone practicing partial-birth abortion should be put in prison. That's cold blooded killing.

9. Letting people drive any car and live in any house they can afford. It's their business. I care about the environment and would support higher gas taxes, but I won't tell people not to drive an SUV if that's their preference.

10. Tougher laws for violent crime, although I also think our drug laws are ridiculous and should be tossed.
Isn't that something? I have called you lib more than once and with that long line of stuff you listed I find that there are only a couple of tiny things that I disagree with you about.

This darned thread is going to bring out too much about too many of us and we are going to find that we really aren't so much different at all.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:09 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,943,571 times
I am pretty far right, so I can't really think of many issues that I disagree with the Republican party. I suppose the pure religion-based issues I dissent from the party line a bit. My concerns are mostly with the Republican politicians that constantly betray the party platform.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:45 AM

4 posts, read 6,836 times
A very good thread and quite frankly I'm stunned at the core themes people seem to agree on.

Count me in - and I think much of America as well.

This party needs a name, candidate, and grass roots movement.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:57 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,087,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinva View Post
A very good thread and quite frankly I'm stunned at the core themes people seem to agree on.

Count me in - and I think much of America as well.

This party needs a name, candidate, and grass roots movement.
We've KIND of been working on that

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...would-you.html

Old 07-20-2009, 10:21 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,611,203 times
I'm anti-welfare and pro-greater fiscal conservatism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies