Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:20 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americaloveitorlveit View Post
Some of you may remember this story, I believe it happened in Chicago a few years ago.
A small town there had been over run with middle eastern people and throughout the day and night they would blast their call to prayer at least 8 to 10 times every day. The hometown people were sick of it and they all went to court, the Americans lost! The judge said they have the right to practice their religion because of our Constitution ( they were not legal citizens). The last I heard, these poor people were getting blasted several times a day with a call to prayer over a loud speaker like over in the middle east. Sorry, if you're not a legal citizen, I don't feel you have any rights under our Constitution.
You have a right to believe whatever you want, whoever you are, but this is America and we have our own traditions which never included scaring people to death with a sudden blast in a foreign language to pray. Last I heard, Americans had the right to pray if and when they want to. Hope that doesn't change.
Because I'm an American, I speak English. It is my only language and I'm proud of it. Why should we be forced to learn another language because non Americans are being hired in the workplace? If you want to learn, fine, but it should not be forced. There are places for them to learn English, they don't seem to be interested.
I know that we are a melting pot, but that pot is now boiling over. More and more it seems these non Americans are offended with our cultures and traditions, so why are they here? How long will it be before our American Flag has to come down because Obama says it offends too many people from other countries? Where I live, in some areas you wouldn't know you are in America because they have turned places into replicas of their country.
On the news I've seen groups holding " I hate America " rallies. People walk by and ignore it, and I'm not sure what to do either, but this is our Country and we are losing it.
One more thing, a group wants the term illegal to stopped being used. I don't know what else to call them because that's exactly what they are.If you have lied and stole someones SS# and you sneak over here, you are here illegally,and you are a criminal.
America, we need to start holding serious rallies of our own!
So how many of these things have YOU actually seen or been subjected to? The rest have been fed to you by someone with an agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 08:51 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I don't even know what this means.

Oh, I know, things can get esoteric in here. Careful focus and close reading (between the lines) can sometimes help elucidate a point.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:52 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Oh, I know, things can get esoteric in here. Careful focus and close reading can sometimes help elucidate a point.
Oh I know, it helps when people actually post coherently. I guess that eludes some on here.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:54 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Oh I know, it helps when people actually post coherently. I guess that eludes some on here.
Yes, the coherence leaves something to be desired most times for sure.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:55 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Yes, the coherence leaves something to be desired most times for sure.
Exactly.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:00 PM

132 posts, read 159,418 times
Quote:
Oh, I know, things can get esoteric in here. Careful focus and close reading (between the lines) can sometimes help elucidate a point.
Yes, I agree and find that sometimes my inner light of wisdom cannot properly shine through the thick outer dull coating of the swiss-cheese minded myrmidons who roam these parts calling themselves "people" when in fact they compared to me are barely even apes, more like monkeys actually. Or even lemurs, in fact. I can see that we are truly the smartest two people in this virtual room, and that our conservative genius cannot possibly break through the barrier of these liberal mushminds that appear to have wandered into my sphere of brilliant radiance that I display with every breath and syllable, and even every episode of aromatic flatulence. For it is a flatulence like no other. A flatulence that makes wilted flowers stand erect, and that makes old people young again. All who disagree with its scent deserved to be flogged mercilessly by, an elephant man.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:34 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
This is the kind of schizoid debate that drives me crazy. Because neither side is being honest.

The OP is completely over-the-top with fear of losing her/his cultural identity due to the enormous wave of immigrants that have come to this country over the past 15 years or so. Always, the native population reacts with fear. By the second or third generation, it's forgotten. Nevertheless, he/she is right: there has been too much immigration, too quickly. And in a post 9/11 world, some Americans are understandably freaked-out by Islam. And it doesn't help when Muslim immigrants try to impose their cultural mores on the country to which they've immigrated. And, as is typical with first-generation immigrants, they tend to create their own communities, not being particularly interested in either the history or the culture of the U.S. They are here almost exclusively for financial gain. Period. And often disdain and reject the very culture to which they've immigrated. The fact that there are so many, in so short a time period, is--of course--culturally threatening to many American communities. And this is the same the world over. The OP's fears are thus, in a sense, "normal."

Furthermore, many of these immigrants are here illegally, and many American communities have been torn apart by the presence of absurd numbers of illegal immigrants: enormous pressure on school systems and medical care facilities, for example. And formerly safe neighborhoods have become broken through illegal activity--often on the part of illegal immigrants. The middle-class and upper-middle-class, who are far removed from the realities of the real-world effects of illegal immigration, love to dismiss or mock such concerns as "racist." But it's not "racist." It's reality. Yes, racists and xenophobes abound--in the U.S. and elsewhere. But affected Americans--of any race (and it's not just white Americans who are feeling the fallout from illegal immigration, you know)--respond to uncontrolled immigration in exactly the same way as people anywhere. It's anthropologically "normal." Take, for example, San Miguel de Allende.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/21/gr...pagewanted=all

Americans Living in San Miguel De Allende, Mexico - Associated Content

What do you make of the Mexican concern about the threat to Mexican culture by the influx of "white" Americans? Are the Mexicans also "racist"? No, they are not. They love their culture; they don't want to see it diluted. Normal. And, in my opinion, they should limit the number of foreign immigrants. Sadly, there is too much money to be made--and people more powerful than the residents of San Miguel de Allende will sell their culture to the highest bidder. The people will lose. And all because of a bunch of idiotic Americans who are looking for Eden. The Mexican concern regarding cultural loss--in the face of this mounting immigration--is legitimate. And so is the American concern. So please: enough with the sanctimonious demonizing of Americans who feel the real effects of over-immigration in their own lives and communities.

Last edited by MovingForward; 07-20-2009 at 10:26 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 10:03 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americaloveitorlveit View Post
Some of you may remember this story, I believe it happened in Chicago a few years ago.
A small town there had been over run with middle eastern people and throughout the day and night they would blast their call to prayer at least 8 to 10 times every day.
Like church bells...?

I'm assuming by your use of the phrase "overrun by middle eastern people", this discussion is going nowhere enlightened.

Quote:
The hometown people were sick of it and they all went to court, the Americans lost! The judge said they have the right to practice their religion because of our Constitution ( they were not legal citizens).
I highly doubt they were going to court as illegals. Perhaps they had green cards? That makes them, for all intents and purposes, legal citizens. If not, then you have a point. But I'm just skeptical that they did not have some documentation allowing them to be in the country and, therefore, allowing them freedoms afforded citizens of our country.

Quote:
The last I heard, these poor people were getting blasted several times a day with a call to prayer over a loud speaker like over in the middle east. Sorry, if you're not a legal citizen, I don't feel you have any rights under our Constitution.
You are incorrect. You should learn more about this nation you claim as yours.

Quote:
You have a right to believe whatever you want, whoever you are, but this is America and we have our own traditions which never included scaring people to death with a sudden blast in a foreign language to pray.
Because I'm an American, I speak English. It is my only language and I'm proud of it.
So, I'm sure you know that the United States has no official language then. If we all chose to speak Mandarin, the government would have to adjust its documentation and such to reflect our choice.

Or, as some might dare to call it, our freedom.

Quote:
I know that we are a melting pot, but that pot is now boiling over. More and more it seems these non Americans are offended with our cultures and traditions, so why are they here? How long will it be before our American Flag has to come down because Obama says it offends too many people from other countries? Where I live, in some areas you wouldn't know you are in America because they have turned places into replicas of their country.
Now Obama gets dragged into this? Come on. There most certainly are legitimate concerns about illegal immigration, but what you speak of is precisely what my own relatives did when they came over in their own way. They held onto their eastern European heritage for all it was worth, and only subsequent generations adopted what you call "American" customs.

Last edited by Bluefly; 07-20-2009 at 10:30 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 10:27 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Ooooh, another Stormfront or other hate site poster.
Lucky us. Twit filter "on".

Old 07-20-2009, 10:31 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
This is the kind of schizoid debate that drives me crazy. Because neither side is being honest.

The OP is completely over-the-top with fear of losing her/his cultural identity due to the enormous wave of immigrants that have come to this country over the past 15 years or so. Always, the native population reacts with fear. By the second or third generation, it's forgotten. Nevertheless, he/she is right: there has been too much immigration, too quickly. And in a post 9/11 world, some Americans are understandably freaked-out by Islam. And it doesn't help when Muslim immigrants try to impose their cultural mores on the country to which they've immigrated. And, as is typical with first-generation immigrants, they tend to create their own communities, not being particularly interested in either the history or the culture of the U.S. They are here almost exclusively for financial gain. Period. And often disdain and reject the very culture to which they've immigrated. The fact that there are so many, in so short a time period, is--of course--culturally threatening to many American communities. And this is the same the world over. The OP's fears are thus, in a sense, "normal."

Furthermore, many of these immigrants are here illegally, and many American communities have been torn apart by the presence of absurd numbers of illegal immigrants: enormous pressure on school systems and medical care facilities, for example. And formerly safe neighborhoods have become broken through illegal activity--often on the part of illegal immigrants. The middle-class and upper-middle-class, who are far removed from the realities of the real-world effects of illegal immigration, love to dismiss or mock such concerns as "racist." But it's not "racist." It's reality. Yes, racists and xenophobes abound--in the U.S. and elsewhere. But affected Americans--of any race (and it's not just white Americans who are feeling the fallout from illegal immigration, you know)--respond to uncontrolled immigration in exactly the same way as people anywhere. It's anthropologically "normal." Take, for example, San Miguel de Allende.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/21/gr...pagewanted=all

Americans Living in San Miguel De Allende, Mexico - Associated Content

What do you make of the Mexican concern about the threat to Mexican culture by the influx of "white" Americans? Are the Mexicans also "racist"? No, they are not. They love their culture; they don't want to see it diluted. Normal. And, in my opinion, they should limit the number of foreign immigrants. Sadly, there is too much money to be made--and people more powerful than the residents of San Miguel de Allende will sell their culture to the highest bidder. The people will lose. And all because of a bunch of idiotic Americans who are looking for Eden. The Mexican concern regarding cultural loss--in the face of this mounting immigration--is legitimate. And so is the American concern. So please: enough with the sanctimonious demonizing of Americans who feel the real effects of over-immigration in their own lives and communities.

Great post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies