Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 02:15 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

This happened in Hamtramck Michigan back in 2004 Cultures Collide in Diverse Hamtramck (http://www.amren.com/news/news04/04/27/hamtramckmosque.html - broken link)
I don't live there so I can't comment, and I don't know what the current status of this is.
Personally, I would not want to hear these "calls to prayer" from my home or office and would fight against it if that were the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 03:54 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
This happened in Hamtramck Michigan back in 2004 Cultures Collide in Diverse Hamtramck (http://www.amren.com/news/news04/04/27/hamtramckmosque.html - broken link)
I don't live there so I can't comment, and I don't know what the current status of this is.
Personally, I would not want to hear these "calls to prayer" from my home or office and would fight against it if that were the case.
Then keep your church bells silent for those of other cultures and religious beliefs.

Calls to prayer occur 5 times per day.

This is what you get with the first amendment; freedom of (and from) religion.
Do I like the wacked xians yelling bible passages on the corners of busy streets in major cities?
No, do they have a right to do it, so long as they don't touch me, yes.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:34 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times
The OP is the typical GOP Limbaugh lemming, always lives in fear and always has a theory about the end of America or America being taken over by Hispanics, Arabs, etc. Such a distorted notion of reality!

Old 07-21-2009, 05:03 AM

125 posts, read 140,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
So are you saying that legal permanent residents(people with Green Cards) are not protected by the Constitution?

All legal American citizens are protected under the Constitution.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:19 AM

37,213 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americaloveitorlveit View Post
All legal American citizens are protected under the Constitution.
Anyone on American soil, American or not, is protected completely under the Constitution.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Like church bells...?

I'm assuming by your use of the phrase "overrun by middle eastern people", this discussion is going nowhere enlightened.

I highly doubt they were going to court as illegals. Perhaps they had green cards? That makes them, for all intents and purposes, legal citizens. If not, then you have a point. But I'm just skeptical that they did not have some documentation allowing them to be in the country and, therefore, allowing them freedoms afforded citizens of our country.

You are incorrect. You should learn more about this nation you claim as yours.

So, I'm sure you know that the United States has no official language then. If we all chose to speak Mandarin, the government would have to adjust its documentation and such to reflect our choice.

Or, as some might dare to call it, our freedom.

Now Obama gets dragged into this? Come on. There most certainly are legitimate concerns about illegal immigration, but what you speak of is precisely what my own relatives did when they came over in their own way. They held onto their eastern European heritage for all it was worth, and only subsequent generations adopted what you call "American" customs.
I don't know why English is not Americas official language, but it's mine.
Freedom didn't just happen in our Country, Americans gave up their lives for it so people like you could make pea-brain comments and misinterpret what I was trying to say.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:

Thank you for the correction.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:10 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
Quote:
They also do the calls to prayer in Dearborn (also known as 'Little Gaza'). There are entire neighborhoods there where not one sign is in English. It can be very surreal.

As far as I know, they still do the calls to prayer in Hamtramck, but I could be wrong.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:20 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americaloveitorlveit View Post

I don't know why English is not Americas official language, but it's mine.
Freedom didn't just happen in our Country, Americans gave up their lives for it so people like you could make pea-brain comments and misinterpret what I was trying to say.
What, prey tell, did I misinterpret?

You choose to speak English. Others do not. That's the very freedom of which you speak.

Certainly nothing pea-brain about my comments. I've simply noticed that those who shout "freedom" the loudest ultimately only desire it to look, think, have sex, love, and sound just like them. It's really not freedom at all.

I don't think you fully understand what freedom really means and why so many sacrificed so much to establish this unique nation. What you are complaining about is precisely what the founding fathers sacrificed to create - allowing each individual's personal journey with their higher power to play itself out as each individual desires.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:24 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
They also do the calls to prayer in Dearborn (also known as 'Little Gaza'). There are entire neighborhoods there where not one sign is in English. It can be very surreal.

As far as I know, they still do the calls to prayer in Hamtramck, but I could be wrong.
Have you ever been to New York City or San Francisco or certain neighborhoods in other major cities for the past 100 years?

There are neighborhoods where you see and hear nothing but Chinese or Hebrew or Polish. It's really not that uncommon. I just think that what was once an urban melting pot is now reaching into suburban and rural areas. Perhaps that is surreal in some ways, but not unprecedented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies