Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 11:05 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
When the police tell you to do something, you do it. You answer their questions respectfully and without raising your voice at them. If they ask for proper ID, you produce it. If they tell you to keep your hands out of your pockets, you do that. They will be on their way in a minute and so will you. Isn't that simple?
Police officers should be expected to behave within the bounds of reason as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 11:10 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
But, but, but... I been told on these very pages that if you dress like a gangster rapper you should expect to be pulled over by the police! Based upon that new found knowledge Gates has only himself to blame!

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ap_Henry_Louis_GatesJr_090720_mn.jpg (broken link)

http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/image/20090721/black-AP.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-21-2009, 11:15 AM

7 posts, read 7,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
This is absolutely an example of racial profiling. Once the officer saw HLG's id, he should have apologized for disturbing him and continued on his way. The fact that he was arrested for disorderly conduct - not B&E is even more telling, as it is the typical BS charge cops pull out of their behinds when they have nothing else to hold you on.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Guess you are not a fan of Chris Rock.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:18 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
But, but, but... I been told on these very pages that if you dress like a gangster rapper you should expect to be pulled over by the police! Based upon that new found knowledge Gates has only himself to blame!

My word! What an absolutely terrifying demeanour!

Old 07-21-2009, 11:53 AM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Seems like all parties involved over-reacted and it got into a pissing contest. Frankly, I think both parties should be ashamed of their behavior and should have extended the other more common courtesy.

Cops deal with scum all day and it jades them. The professor is probably also jaded and sees racism at every turn.

Hey, I got pulled over a few months ago for putting my registration sticker in the wrong place. He explained, I noted my error and fixed it...no fuss, no muss....no cries of racism.

P.S. It's at least a little ironic that in this evil racist society the guy is somehow a professor at Harvard, is well respected, makes a ton of money and lives in Cambridge. I mean...I can't think of any other blacks that are widely respected and admired....well except for Obama, Collin Powell, Oprah, Tiger, Lebron, Beyonce, Maya Angelou, Will Smith, Bill Cosby, Condoleeza Rice....lol.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:54 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
I had a neighbor call the police on me for "breaking in" to my investment property once. The electricity had gone off and I went outside looking for the breaker box with a flash light. Two cop cars sped up from opposite sides and asked me what I was doing. When I told them who I was (ie, the owner) they wanted ID. I showed them ID and they left. It was a little irritating, but I was glad that somebody was watching out for our street. We laughed about it later. The one thing I didn't do was go yelling at the police.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:04 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:

yeah he does look rather thuggish

Old 07-21-2009, 12:38 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
This is absolutely an example of racial profiling. Once the officer saw HLG's id, he should have apologized for disturbing him and continued on his way. The fact that he was arrested for disorderly conduct - not B&E is even more telling, as it is the typical BS charge cops pull out of their behinds when they have nothing else to hold you on.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Talking from experience?

Old 07-21-2009, 12:48 PM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Exactly. Not that anyone wants to get out of being black. We would appreciate not having to deal with the BS that goes with it though. And yes, what was up with that neighbor?
I have a lot of friends of a variety of colors, social classes, sexual orientation etc. I've also met a few people along the way that have the mindset of the "African American Studies" or "Womyns studies" types. I've never ever succeeded in making friends with that type because frankly....I'm lily white male and you can literally sense the unease and distrust coming off of them. To this point, I wonder how chummy this guy is with his neighbors and if they even know each other?

While I agree that there is profiling and other examples of true racism...the above case seems to be two people just not behaving well. Remember the cop was called to investigate a possible crime...he HAD to go to the house.
Imagine if he'd just left and later it turned out the prof was being beaten to death etc. by a burglar....oh my the screams of racism we'd hear.

There are other posters here that have identified being in similar circumstances, been asked to provide ID and then went on with their business.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:57 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,713 times
Quote:
but, but, but... I been told on these very pages that if you dress like a gangster rapper you should expect to be pulled over by the police! Based upon that new found knowledge gates has only himself to blame!

lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies