Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you content with the current healthcare system in America
Yes 52 20.55%
No 104 41.11%
Yes and No (Some parts are good, some are bad) 97 38.34%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:22 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,469,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Agreed, if anything single payer is a pipe dream. Oh well at least I still have my job and benefits, screw everyone else.

I agree, I want my flat screen TV and Ipod, and a bi**tchen Scion, screw everyone else, I'll just go bankrupt if I get sick or hurt, that's my idea of insurance.

Hey, you only live once right

Old 07-21-2009, 01:29 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
I agree, I want my flat screen TV and Ipod, and a bi**tchen Scion, screw everyone else, I'll just go bankrupt if I get sick or hurt, that's my idea of insurance.

Hey, you only live once right
Or,

I studied my a** off when everyone around me was partying/screwing around...I took lower paying jobs that look better on resumes so I could get a good job with benefits. I live in a sh*t apartment so I can save money every month just in case of an emergency. Why shouldn't I be content with my job and my money and my insurance I worked so hard for?

maybe people need to put less effort into trying to get insurance from the government and more effort into their careers so they can afford to pay their own way through life.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:31 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
healthcare isnt a right

Old 07-21-2009, 01:41 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,862,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Or,

I studied my a** off when everyone around me was partying/screwing around...I took lower paying jobs that look better on resumes so I could get a good job with benefits. I live in a sh*t apartment so I can save money every month just in case of an emergency. Why shouldn't I be content with my job and my money and my insurance I worked so hard for?

maybe people need to put less effort into trying to get insurance from the government and more effort into their careers so they can afford to pay their own way through life.
Oh now you've done it. You've gone and proven the value of personal responsibility, sound decision making and self reliance. Now you'll wind up as one of 'the rich' and end up paying for the 50% of the population that serves as a drain on society. How could you be so bloody selfish when you could have chosen the easy way out, done nothing and bitched and moaned about how unfair life has been to you?

Old 07-21-2009, 02:01 PM

8,633 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
healthcare isnt a right
You're right, we don't have rights in this country do we. No right to eat, no right to call the cops if need be, no right to send your spawn to a public school, no right to a library, no right to have your house protected from fires. I think fire departments should be privately owned. When your $1,000,000 home is on fire you should have a seat at a table by the Joe's Fire House inc. secretary, to fill out forms while your house is burning down.

Got cancer, forget about it.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
You're right, we don't have rights in this country do we. No right to eat, no right to call the cops if need be, no right to send your spawn to a public school, no right to a library, no right to have your house protected from fires. I think fire departments should be privately owned. When your $1,000,000 home is on fire you should have a seat at a table by the Joe's Fire House inc. secretary, to fill out forms while your house is burning down.

Got cancer, forget about it.
We have rights to those specified in the Constitution, everything else was meant to be on us. This is how the country was founded. Isn't this common knowledge?

Go back and read through it please! We don't have a right to eat! We have a right to pursue means to get food, but it isn't the government's job to take care of us - only to give us the freedom to take care of ourselves!

The government isn't your mother, cut the apronstrings.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:13 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,519,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
healthcare isnt a right
Why don't we take this a step further. Is everyone "entitled" to the same level of medical care?

Old 07-21-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
We have rights to those specified in the Constitution, everything else was meant to be on us. This is how the country was founded. Isn't this common knowledge?

Go back and read through it please! We don't have a right to eat! We have a right to pursue means to get food, but it isn't the government's job to take care of us - only to give us the freedom to take care of ourselves!

The government isn't your mother, cut the apronstrings.
You read the Constitution. Nothing in it says anything about fire departments, schools etc. What were you doing in 1971? I've not stopped working since, so don't blather on about cutting apronstrings sonny.

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence,[1] promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

See the bolded part? At this moment in time the American public is getting screwed out of trillions of their hard earned money not to mention small businesses. And it aint going to get better. Promote the general Welfare!

Old 07-21-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
You read the Constitution. Nothing in it says anything about fire departments, schools etc. What were you doing in 1971? I've not stopped working since, so don't blather on about cutting apronstrings sonny.

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence,[1] promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

See the bolded part? At this moment in time the American public is getting screwed out of trillions of their hard earned money not to mention small businesses. And it aint going to get better. Promote the general Welfare!
I don't think the government should run fire departments or schools! I agree with that completely. And the section you posted is taken out of contex SO often. It is in the middle of explaining taxation. The government has the right to provide for the general welfare by taxing the citizens. That statement was a clarification of the government's right to tax, and nothing more. I certainly do not think that gives the government the right to create schools, health care systems, take over GM, etc.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I don't think the government should run fire departments or schools! I agree with that completely. And the section you posted is taken out of contex SO often. It is in the middle of explaining taxation. The government has the right to provide for the general welfare by taxing the citizens. That statement was a clarification of the government's right to tax, and nothing more. I certainly do not think that gives the government the right to create schools, health care systems, take over GM, etc.
Hey, I've never ever claimed to be an Obama supporter, so don't talk to me like I'm one. Folks like you complain about this health care mess only to state there is nothing wrong with what we've got. You're in your little safe box and since you are safe everyone must be safe too. But as soon as a snake bites you in the ass you'll be the first one to complain about your safe little box which is often times a kid who doesn't pay for their insurance or they work for a large company who does pay their insurance or a State or Federal job that pays for their insurance. Many don't have that luxury and I'm not talking about those uninsured, I talking about those who are. By the way, those countries that have UHC, they all have private insurance too. Every last one of them. And guess what? They are much cheaper to purchase, covers more and many give you rebates. Another thing, no pre-existing condition applies. Imagine that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies