Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Ha! I knew it! I knew the word they used did not mean "inappropriate"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 10:08 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
The Provocateur: A Troubling Meeting

Quote:
Several former Bush administration officials, including Dana Perino, have said in the last couple days that no one in the administration ever met with the CBO director. In the meantime, Bob Beckel, Democratic operative, said that when he worked in the White House he met with CBO staffers regularly. Something is amiss. No one can find another example of a President ever inviting the CBO director to a private meeting in the White House. That is the real problem. Such a high level contact in such a setting is totally inappropriate. If all the president wanted was some guidance on ways to improve health care there were many ways to get that from the CBO. He invited its director to a private meeting in the White House. That raises the spector that this meeting was about a lot more.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Ha! I knew it! I knew the word they used did not mean "inappropriate"!
I guess that's the word you will cling to in denying the obvious, right?

Old 07-23-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I guess that's the word you will cling to in denying the obvious, right?
Even Fox News just calls it unusual. You have to go to some RW blogger to get the word inappropriate. I am not impressed.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Even Fox News just calls it unusual. You have to go to some RW blogger to get the word inappropriate. I am not impressed.
Well, surprise, surprise. Obviously, if no one can remember it being done or there being a record of such a meeting in previous administrations, one could certainly think it "unusual", "inappropriate". Of course, you never set any conditions before the fact - just after I was able to "prove" it to you by providing a link. Incredible, much?

Even the previous CBO director claiming he never did it or heard of it being done will not sway you in your fanatical love affair with obama.

Oh, I forget to whom I'm talking.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:24 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Obama will be holding a prime-time news conference tonight, July 22.

It will be aired on all major networks at 8pm eastern standard / 5PM pacific standard.

This is the 4th such prime-time news conference held by Obama so far.

In contrast, Bush held a total of only 4 prime-time news conferences during his entire 8 years as president.
For anyone who remembers (not a necessity; I probably don't remember yours either) my position Re: Mr. Obama knows I'm not a fan.
For myself, I found his speech lacking in what was promised during the campaign, and too centered on money, not people (as befitting a corporatist whose concern is money not people).

That said, Obama scored 100%-at minimum- over his Insurance Industry critics, and surrogates, last night.

The BEST indicator of this fact was today's reaction from our radicalized media:

Their "story" was of course, the racial profiling after-thought of Mr. Obama's friend. That was because there were NO other options open to them, Mr. Obama having so sucessfully given no openings.

So, "Good Morning America" (Disney TV) lead with the race story. Diane Sawyer tried to work her maternal magic, but it was such a brazenly obvious attempt to deflect from the real NEWS that even my apolitical wife said, "Do you see what they're trying to do!?"

Yes, dear, I did- Akre v Fox News was my first clue.

Ms. Sawyer tried, and failed. In the end she looked like a grand dame of the theater trying to play Lady MacBeth- with a chicken tied to her head.

Fast Forward to Corporate Chris Matthews on MSNBC. Seems that GE's boardroom had given the same orders, and old "LardBalls" tried his best.

In the end, even the Matthews' swager (and occasional drool) couldn't save the day.

Lastly, CBS's (aka, Corporate B*** S***) own Katie Couric tried her best to jump the Great White Shark. Katie tried the semi-hysterical piercing stare technique that's lost so much of the viewership ever since Viacom canned Dan Rather, cause he told the truth.( Dan is doing just fine, by the way- reputation is back , and in the graces of enough Americans that even Mika Brzenzsky (hope I got her name spelled correctly) of "The Morning Joe" has him as an occasional guest commentator- sometimes when Joe Scarborough is there!)

Katie also HAD to do it. An added incentive for her was that Obama showcased "Ace" CBS correspondent Chip Reid as a potential winner of the 2010 Shephard Smith "stooge of last resort" award for the assininity of his question, which the Prez so easily deflected, then used to launch a show and tell on why those who ask such questions are forgetting (conveniently) the past 8 years.

So, in the end, Barack won. Not even close.

What we all witnessed- those foolish enough like myself who waste time chronicling the biggest propaganda machine since Tass/Izvestia/Pravda- was how the game works:

There was a major truth spill in Aisle 4, so the corporate store owners in the head shed dispatched their bagboys to clean it up, asap. But the bagboys saw they couldn't, so they tried the only option left to them- they put up a big sign with cardboard grinning celeb on it that redirected the customers to a "great" deal on week-old pork cutlets at the Deli.

Unfortunately, few customers went for it..............

Last edited by Geechie North; 07-23-2009 at 10:32 PM..

Old 07-23-2009, 10:24 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,973 times
Bush didn't listen to the CBO...i am surprised if you even knew the CBO existed before last week

Old 07-23-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
The BEST indicator of this fact was today's reaction from our radicalized media:
Uh, sorry, but you're not looking in the right places. The pundocracy gave him a failing grade for his performance.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/25335.html

Old 07-23-2009, 10:42 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Uh, sorry, but you're not looking in the right places. The pundocracy gave him a failing grade for his performance.

Pundits unimpressed with Obama's press conference - Melanie Mason - POLITICO.com

The punditocracy (e.g., the bagboys of whom I spoke earlier) ALL (yep, 100%) said that McCain and Obama tied during their debates.

So anxious were the corporations for Johnny Mac to try and get close.

But alas for them............

Old 07-23-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Well, surprise, surprise. Obviously, if no one can remember it being done or there being a record of such a meeting in previous administrations, one could certainly think it "unusual", "inappropriate". Of course, you never set any conditions before the fact - just after I was able to "prove" it to you by providing a link. Incredible, much?

Even the previous CBO director claiming he never did it or heard of it being done will not sway you in your fanatical love affair with obama.

Oh, I forget to whom I'm talking.
Oh, quit insulting me. It just makes you look small. Who said I had a fanatical love affair with Obama. You certainly don't know me if you think that!

Here is your original post:

Quote:
If he needs someone to explain the CBO scoring on the bills in congress, he has his own budget director, OMB, to do that.

The CBO is not in the business of helping to craft policy - they are there for one reason - to give an independent analysis of the bills coming out of the WH and Congress.

To "summon" the director to the WH could be construed as a pressure tactic in order to get them to soften their number crunching. The CBO does not report to the executive.

Bush staffers were asked about this - it was never done during the eight years and is considered inappropriate.
I asked for some proof that the Bushies used this word. You responded with a link from FOX calling it "unusual". You then posted from some RW blogger, who gave his/her opinion, calling it inappropriate.

Here is the definition of "unusual".

unusual - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

"UNCOMMON, RARE"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies