Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 04:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Maybe yes... maybe no. Other countries' businesses are positioning themselves to compete more favorably with US businesses. Plus, they're not saddled with and stunted by Obama's Crap and Raid (Cap and Trade). US businesses: shut out.
I've been studying the latest quarterly earnings reports.
Coca Cola is a good example..they are up but not from sales in North America.

I found their 1Q09 earnings..2Q09 isn't posted yet but they did just announce and it was along the same vein.

First Quarter 2009 Results - Press Release - Coca-Cola (http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/presscenter/nr_20090421_corporate_first_qtr_earnings.html - broken link)
snippet:
"Internationally, the Company achieved broad-based unit case volume growth of 3 percent. Unit case volume increased in key emerging markets, with 31 percent growth in India, 10 percent growth in China, high single-digit growth in Southern Eurasia, Thailand and Vietnam and mid single-digit growth in Korea and Nigeria.
North America realized sequential improvement with unit case volume declining 2 percent in the quarter. "

This kind of info is not hitting the MSM; people are not looking into the details and think OUR economy is rebounding when it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 05:01 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I've been studying the latest quarterly earnings reports.
Coca Cola is a good example..they are up but not from sales in North America.

I found their 1Q09 earnings..2Q09 isn't posted yet but they did just announce and it was along the same vein.

First Quarter 2009 Results - Press Release - Coca-Cola (http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/presscenter/nr_20090421_corporate_first_qtr_earnings.html - broken link)
snippet:
"Internationally, the Company achieved broad-based unit case volume growth of 3 percent. Unit case volume increased in key emerging markets, with 31 percent growth in India, 10 percent growth in China, high single-digit growth in Southern Eurasia, Thailand and Vietnam and mid single-digit growth in Korea and Nigeria.
North America realized sequential improvement with unit case volume declining 2 percent in the quarter. "

This kind of info is not hitting the MSM; people are not looking into the details and think OUR economy is rebounding when it's not.
Fair enough, esp the coca-cola thing. I see a silver lining here, which is that there's less HF corn syrup being guzzled, fewer rotting teeth and fewer empty calories being consumed. I know, coca-cola rotted my teeth as a child.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:03 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
“New foreclosure notices will total 2.4 million this year, which could trigger price drops in 69.5 million nearby homes, estimates the Center for Responsible Lending, a financial-services research and policy firm. At an average decline of $7,200 a house, that translates to a potential drop of $502 billion in total U.S. property values.”

i don't think that the gloomers are gloomy in general. i consider myself a temporary gloomer and just want people to have the actual facts so they can make informed decisions. people have been misled previously and some have lost a lot of money. i have already posted in the business forum on the option arm resets to come, and commercial loan statistics, none of it good.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:25 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i don't think that the gloomers are gloomy in general. i consider myself a temporary gloomer and just want people to have the actual facts so they can make informed decisions. people have been misled previously and some have lost a lot of money. i have already posted in the business forum on the option arm resets to come, and commercial loan statistics, none of it good.
Exactly! It's not gloominess; it's pragmatism.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:38 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Yup, it's well known that Wall Street prefers Republicans in power.... The only problem is your assumption that they'll actually GET power back in the '12 election...
Republicans? Really? And how would you explain the Dow's huge rise from 4,000 to 10,000 during Clinton?

Or the Republicans presidents who were IN CHARGE during ALL THREE stock market crashes: 1929, 1987, 2008?

Old 07-25-2009, 05:40 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,116,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Republicans? Really? And how would you explain the Dow' huge rise from 4,000 to 10,000 rise during Clinton?

Or the Republicans presidents who were IN CHARGE during ALL THREE stock market crashes: 1929, 1987, 2008?
Ohhh, that's a simple one!!1

Internet - Al Gore said he invented it too!!

Old 07-25-2009, 05:49 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Republicans? Really? And how would you explain the Dow's huge rise from 4,000 to 10,000 during Clinton?

i would explain it by saying that wall street loves government intervention because the big players, particularly goldman sachs, can and do manipulate government actions to their advantage. who did the bailouts actually benefit?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:08 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:

I understand that, but if you ask any big cat on Wall Street they'll claim that Republican policies are more "market friendly"... The stats show otherwise.

It's called sarcasm ace...

Old 07-25-2009, 10:22 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Cool. Let us know when it gets back to 14,000 and returns value to my 401k.
Well, I can't speak for you, but thanks to the fact that I pulled out of the market for a little while (then jumped back in just 2 days or so after the bottom), the 40+% rise in the markets since then, and the fact that I've continuously added more money - I've nearly recovered. I calculate that if the S&P can go up another 75 points or so I'm in positive territory and at my all-time high for my 401K.

Needless to say, I'm a happy camper.
Would I be happier (and have a higher balance) if the market had never crashed to begin with - or had I gotten out earlier? Of course I would. But none of that can be changed and I'm generally pleased to have done as well as I have.

Ken

Old 07-25-2009, 10:46 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,027,839 times
Yea Obama!! Your healthcare plan is loosing steam and your popularity is dropping. Investors like that. Also it is earning season and 70% of companies are beating there projections. Take your profits kiddies, any thing can happen. But for all you Obama fans we will give you all the credit, lord knows you need it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies