Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 02:59 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep Me Amadeus View Post
You didn't answer the question. What about the people who work hard, get sick, lose their job and then have no insurance?
You should hope karma never comes back to bite people like you on the ass. You might be surprised how humble and empathetic it makes you all of a sudden.
Then they should have a back up plan, it's called taking care of your family. If at any point in time you don't have at least one years wages in reserve, then you are just asking to get screwed over.

Most of you either won't save that kind of money, or more commonly don't see why you should save that kind of money.

My question is why should hard working people have to suddenly have some of their money be used to support folks who either were to stupid or were to lazy to make sure they were able to take care of their own?

Karma is what you make of it, I made sure I was able to take care of myself and my wife before I got married, and then made sure I had the means to take care of my first child before we started a family, then I made sure we could handle a second child. After that I knew I would be pushing it for a third so we took steps to make sure we would only have two.

See, common sense, my wife and kids had insurance because I made sure it happened. I didn't go, "Geez, wouldn't it be great if the government would just give me insurance?"

As to why most Republicans didn't or don't come up with a solution to the health care "problem" is because there isn't a problem that the Federal government needs to deal with. It's a state issue, and federal dollars should not be used to in this situation.

But the more liberal side of CD only sees what they want to see, "But that nice young man we voted into office said I could have UHC, I want it, gimmie gimmie gimmie."

Just remember, nothing is ever free, and whenever the government tries to make things better, they usually just screw it up and make matters worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 03:04 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,387,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
I'm I republican, and I have a great health care plan.

Get a freaking job and then buy some freaking insurance already!

If you don't have enough insurance to have a kid, don't have a kid yet!

For the love of God, what happened to the concept of taking care of yourself, being responsible for your own well being?
The f uped cost of health insurance shouldn't dictate the number of children you have. Consult the results if you like. But I won't wait for a more favorable price that can be changed the following day. What then, an abortion?

Old 07-24-2009, 03:04 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
And what about people who can't work, for legitimate reasons? Do you expect paraplegics to flip burgers? People with Lou Gehrig's disease to become sanitation workers? Have someone with Multiple Sclerosis get up out of that bed and work? What if your IQ is below 70? Or you're missing your legs? Or a DS baby like Palin's? Eventually Sarah and Todd will pass, but Trig will likely remain alive for some time, with no guarantee that his
siblings will be able to either care for him or pay for a caregiver. It is simplistic beyond belief that a person would believe that not working is nothing but a sign of laziness. One suspects that this tack is taken because the Republican's have no alternative plan, much like the infamous
"budget without numbers."
These people that you guys love to point out to should be taken care of by their families. But what if they don't have the insurance? Then they damn well shouldn't have been making kids to begin with.

Far to many Americans go thru life winging it instead of actually thinking about what their actions might mean for them and for others in the future. Heck, why should they, their good friend the government will bail them out if things get to bad, eh?

Old 07-24-2009, 06:59 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,872,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
These people that you guys love to point out to should be taken care of by their families. But what if they don't have the insurance? Then they damn well shouldn't have been making kids to begin with.

Far to many Americans go thru life winging it instead of actually thinking about what their actions might mean for them and for others in the future. Heck, why should they, their good friend the government will bail them out if things get to bad, eh?
What happens if they don't have families or their families won't or can't take care of them? I've been in this position BTW.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:04 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,846,822 times
I love the democrat plan. add a layer of government. throughout history, adding a layer of government has proven successful on several occasions. for example:

YouTube - Cricket Sound

Old 07-24-2009, 07:20 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,312,469 times
Quote:
Besides defending the status quo and sitting on the sidelines with their arms crossed, what do they actually propose to fix this broken system we have?
The GOP plan is: Most Americans are satisfied with what they have(including the 47 milllion who do not have ANY coverage) therefore, there is nothing to fix. Rush said that our health care system is the best in the world and Rush is a smart man. END OF THE ARGUMENT

Old 07-24-2009, 07:26 AM

3,332 posts, read 1,965,974 times
Default change the subject? WHAT subject?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Why change the subject?
Look at the op, and answers from the right. The right had total control of congress and the presidency... They didn't address the problem and are now complaining about how someone else is addressing the problem.. If they wanted it fixed their way they had their chance.
So again what are their alternatives?
Just because lefties see a "problem" doesn't mean everyone else is obligated to fix it. To start with a flawed premise like "healthcare is a right for all people and we have to fix it NOW" and then using that premise to bash posters shows the mean-spirited contempt that is part of the left's debate strategy.
If the left had been listening instead of bashing, there have been plenty of workable solutions put forth by the right. But no, these other plans didn't fit your "healthcare now" pie-in-the-sky, beads and sandals, acorn-thug ideals, so to you the right has no plan.

So, I ask you: What is the lefties plan? I certainly couldn't tell after obama's race-baiting theatrics last nite.
Perhaps the left really has no plan, other than the usual "corporations are evil" clap trap.
So I ask YOU once again, what is the left's plan? And please, no cut and paste from the huffpo, moveondotorgasm, or the other hate-screeds on the web. Just tell us in your own words if you can find any without consulting liberal talking points.
We are waiting..........

Oh. OK. You have no financially workable plan that will be palatable to the people who will have to pay for it.

You have recieved an incomplete in debate 101.
Now put your hand down and be quiet.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:31 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,868,200 times
If you think the Reps, or for that matter Dems, have any motivation other than re-election, you are dillusional. Our Healthcare is of no concern to virtually any of them.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:34 AM

989 posts, read 2,499,442 times
Quote:
Besides defending the status quo and sitting on the sidelines with their arms crossed, what do they actually propose to fix this broken system we have?
Why assume that the government needs to be involved in the health care business at all?

Old 07-24-2009, 07:37 AM

433 posts, read 1,770,556 times
The Republicans have many proposals, amendments and healthcare plans but the Democrats don't want to hear them. This is the Democrats thing and they want all of the credit. The Democrats don't want the Republicans involved because the Republicans' plan wouldn't give the government control of our lives. That is the real issue here.

One proposed Republican bill is for everyone to have a healthcare account that would allow the people to purchase their own insurance and have control of their own lives. It leaves government out of our healthcare decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies