Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:38 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,320,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
Why assume that the government needs to be involved in the health care business at all?
Right! The free market will take care of itself. Heck, premiums rose 5 times faster than earnings in the last 10 years but that is really irrelevant. Rush said we have the best health system in the world and Rush is a smart man, no need to discuss this any further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 07:41 AM

769 posts, read 889,255 times
Ok, while it is true the GOP isn't going to draft legislation, that does not mean they do not want to do anything. They clearly stated that they were not going to draft legislation because it would not even be looked at and would draw needed attention away from the current one being drafted by the Democrats that will actually be considered. Conservatives have a lot of things they would like to see done with healthcare, and this whole thread is nothing more than elitist s**t eating grin trying to make Republicans look like they want sick people to die painful, poor, lonely deaths.

A quick Google search would have productive conservative ideas on healthcare reform.
The Rationale for a Statewide Health Insurance Exchange
A Bipartisan Push on Healthcare
State Health Care Reform: The Benefits and Limits of "Reinsurance"

Old 07-24-2009, 07:47 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,173,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Right! The free market will take care of itself. Heck, premiums rose 5 times faster than earnings in the last 10 years but that is really irrelevant. Rush said we have the best health system in the world and Rush is a smart man, no need to discuss this any further.
And Rush is an expert in prescription drug abuse.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:56 AM

989 posts, read 2,501,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Yes, the free markets WILL take care of themselves. When insurers are too expensive the free market will allow for smaller companies to undercut prices and offer cheaper prices. You want your health care run like the Post Office, the DMV, Amtrak, etc? I cannot think of any area that the government can run better than the private sector can.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:04 AM

[
Quote:
quote=Tymberwulf;9923112]Then they should have a back up plan, it's called taking care of your family. If at any point in time you don't have at least one years wages in reserve, then you are just asking to get screwed over.

Most of you either won't save that kind of money, or more commonly don't see why you should save that kind of money.

This is the personal responsibility that conservatives always demand but seldom show.

Quote:
As to why most Republicans didn't or don't come up with a solution to the health care "problem" is because there isn't a problem that the Federal government needs to deal with. It's a state issue, and federal dollars should not be used to in this situation.
Good now we can just argue jurisdiction, we don't need a solution.

Quote:
But the more liberal side of CD only sees what they want to see, "But that nice young man we voted into office said I could have UHC, I want it, gimmie gimmie gimmie."

Just remember, nothing is ever free, and whenever the government tries to make things better, they usually just screw it up and make matters worse.
Please show a link to any liberal that has said UHC will be free.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
Yes, the free markets WILL take care of themselves. When insurers are too expensive the free market will allow for smaller companies to undercut prices and offer cheaper prices. You want your health care run like the Post Office, the DMV, Amtrak, etc? I cannot think of any area that the government can run better than the private sector can.
You seem to know a lot about health care could you tell me why health insurance is going up 9-15% next year. When we know that health providers are laying off.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:25 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,317,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep Me Amadeus View Post
Besides defending the status quo and sitting on the sidelines with their arms crossed, what do they actually propose to fix this broken system we have?
They don't really have a plan.

Their "plan" amounts to the Vincent LaGuardia Gambini opening statement from 'My Cousin Vinny'...

"Everything that guy just said is bull****, thank you...".

Old 07-24-2009, 08:31 AM

769 posts, read 889,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
They don't really have a plan.
Am I on your ignore list or did you just not read my links.

Quote:
Their "plan" amounts to the Vincent LaGuardia Gambini opening statement from 'My Cousin Vinny'...

"Everything that guy just said is bull****, thank you...".
Heh, this needs to be used more often here at CD, it seems like we spend lots of words agruing with each other when this is what we mean, haha

Old 07-24-2009, 08:41 AM

8,652 posts, read 9,171,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You're missing the point. Maybe they didn't address the problem bc the 'problem' isn't as pressing as everyone would have you believe.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem. I'm saying that it may have been spun into something bigger than it is in order to further agendas or be used as a bandwagon.

And the complaining? Throwing the baby out with the bathwater for some ludicrously expensive idiotic plan that will tank the system and raise taxes.
You are absolutely wrong that the problem isn't as bad as it seems. Take away all employer contributions then you'll see the problem immediately, not to mention all the manipulation the insurance and State laws have warped the system. And it's only going to get worse not better as it stands and that is a fact. I'm a conservative who strives to keep an opened mind. There is no doubt the republicans are and have been blowing this opportunity to articulate a plan that works in the framework of the free market that works for the American people, not just big business in which they've always been accused of doing. I live and contract work from the republican party in Washington.
What I'm hearing mostly from the republicans is preventive care. Don't smoke, jog, eat right, leaving the impression that most of the problem is we do not take care of ourselves. This might be true in some but not in others, however, it still does not address the main issue but instead leaves the impression that the government, with the blessing of the GOP, is going to enter our lives and regulate it to insure no one smokes, the body fat content is correct, no more mountain climbing etc., your sugar level is just fine. If not, then what, what are the repercussions? Is this what the GOP stands for?
Could it be many Americans simply are not under a doctor's care at all for a host of reasons? If so, what are those reasons?

Old 07-24-2009, 08:49 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,963,052 times
On June 17th, House Republicans put forth this four page document , outlining a plan to reform health care. They would like it to be discussed and possibly implemented, but so far the guys in control are having no part of it. No need to discuss viable alternatives when you have the votes necessary to push forward your own power grabbing, economy crushing, freedom squashing plan.
Some key points from the document include;
Quote:
Brings greater fairness to the tax code by extending tax savings to those who currently do not have employer-provided insurance but purchase health insurance on their own. This provision would provide an “above the line” deduction that is equal to the cost of an individual’s or family’s insurance premium.

Quote:
Recognizes that one of the largest obstacles for many small businesses when it comes to retaining current employees or creating new jobs is the cost of health insurance. The plan allows states, small businesses, associations, and other organizations to band together and offer health insurance at lower costs.

Quote:
Implements comprehensive medical liability reform that will reduce costly, unnecessary defensive medicine practiced by doctors trying to protect themselves from overzealous trial lawyers

Quote:
Encourages states to create a Universal Access Program by establishing and/or reforming existing programs to guarantee all Americans, regardless of pre-existing conditions or past illnesses, have access to affordable coverage.

Quote:
Recognizes that not all high school and college graduates are able to find a job that offers health care coverage after graduation. By allowing dependents to remain on their parents’ health policies up to the age of 25, the number of uninsured Americans could be reduced by up to 7 million.

And to me, one of the most important aspects of the Republicans plan is that it DOES NOT make the government responsible for or in control of, anyone's health care, nor does it create another GIGANTIC beaurocracy that will need to be funded by our tax dollars.[/LEFT]

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 07-24-2009 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: font issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies