Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:18 AM

8,653 posts, read 9,174,347 times

Advertisements

"Encourages states to create a Universal Access Program by establishing and/or reforming existing programs to guarantee all Americans, regardless of pre-existing conditions or past illnesses, have access to affordable coverage."

Encourage is not enough because it will not happen, I'm afraid. Big business payoffs and the consolidation of the insurance industry. No true competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 09:27 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,318,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
Ok, while it is true the GOP isn't going to draft legislation, that does not mean they do not want to do anything. They clearly stated that they were not going to draft legislation because it would not even be looked at and would draw needed attention away from the current one being drafted by the Democrats that will actually be considered. Conservatives have a lot of things they would like to see done with healthcare, and this whole thread is nothing more than elitist s**t eating grin trying to make Republicans look like they want sick people to die painful, poor, lonely deaths.

A quick Google search would have productive conservative ideas on healthcare reform.
The Rationale for a Statewide Health Insurance Exchange
A Bipartisan Push on Healthcare
State Health Care Reform: The Benefits and Limits of "Reinsurance"
I did miss this, my apologies, you aren't on 'ignore'.... The ignore list is for babies...

Anyway, so the Reps aren't going to put forward their great idea on healthcare now because they don't want to get in the way of the Dem plan and they probably wouldn't be listened to now anyway, got it....

......And the reason they didn't put forth any of this during W's 8 years, is???

That is my problem with the Reps on this one. They offered NOTHING until it was clear that Barry was going to put it on the table. You cannot claim there is no problem and then a few years later claim that you have the solution to the problem that wasn't there in the first place....

Old 07-24-2009, 10:17 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,064,901 times
Hysterical yet quite telling of how rediculous his outlook is ..

President Barack Obama is likening overhaul of the nation's health care system to one of the government's greatest triumphs: the NASA program that landed astronauts on the moon 40 years ago.

Actually it is a complete insult to all the scientists, astronomists, astronauts and NASA employees who worked their asses off to get us to the moon to compare them to a bunch of DO NOTHING, SLICK TALKING, USLESS POLITICIANS.

The Associated Press: Deadline broken, talks continue for health bill

Old 07-24-2009, 10:17 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,076,278 times
I'm having difficulty understanding exactly why we need the government to manage our healthcare.

I keep seeing people who can afford a Big screen TV, a new luxury car, and all the latest gizmos who can't seem to afford health insurance. I could be wrong but I'd hazard a guess that the avearge American spends more on entertainment (high speed internet, cable or satellite TV, movie rentals, pizza, beer, etc) than they do on healthcare.

Sorry, but it sounds more like another entitlement issue to me. If some of the "poor" people would stop yakking on their latest and greatest cell phone and running up hundreds of dollars in charges every month, they might be able to see a doc.

I'm not trying to be judgemental but it's not my job to take up the slack for people who can't manage their money.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:46 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,026,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Joe White View Post
Please offer proof that ALL of the '46 million uninsured' are in the same or similar circumstances that you cite.

Persons unable to work will fall below the poverty line and are currently covered ALREADY by Medicaid, aren't they?
Why should I, when I never made that claim? I merely noted a few circumstances where people are unable to work: there are more. Please offer proof that all 46 million of America's uninsured are lazy, since you are making that claim.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:56 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,450,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep Me Amadeus View Post
Besides defending the status quo and sitting on the sidelines with their arms crossed, what do they actually propose to fix this broken system we have?

I have not read this entire thread so excuse me if I repeat things.

One of the first things that we MUST get under control are the lawyers. Law suits drive up doctors insurance which in turn drives up the costs they have to charge. Second, thing is to put caps on what procedures cost. Third, there should be a government OPTION that you can BUY into. The cost can be a % of your annual salary, this would force private insures to lower their costs to compete. If I chose to keep my private coverage then I should not have to pay anything. For people without jobs they can get a reduced rate until they find work but they still must pay something. People need to understand that NOTHING is free it all must be paid for somehow and it is not fair to expect that burden to be placed on others, we all must share it.

Oh and give companies tax breaks for lowering the cost they charge their workers for insurance.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:08 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,026,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
All those people qualify for SS/disability. Sorry your 'logic' doesn't work there. Nice attitude, by the way. If you are going to rant, at least know what you're talking about.

The Republican plan? I'm not sure we need to overhaul the whole system. The majority of people get great care and are happy with their insurance.

Allowing more competition across state lines amongst the insurance companies would be helpful.

Eliminating fraud and abuse of the current government systems available would free up some money for funding of more local, sliding scale clinics.

Eliminating any funding for the illegals would be great...but then the hospitals would still be forced to see and treat them and just never get reimbursed. How about we amend that to just getting rid of illegals?
For the love of God, what happened to the concept of taking care of yourself, being responsible for your own well being? [Quoted from Tymberwulf]
This is the statement to which I was responding, and clearly those that I
cited aren't able to do that. Your "suggestions" have no bearing on the assertion that people who are without insurance are simply lazy. My "attitude" comes from many years of work as a nurse; I find it impossible to justify withholding care from anyone who needs health care. Clearly the parable of the Good Samaritan has been forgotten or ignored by many.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:10 PM

422 posts, read 758,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
I'm I republican, and I have a great health care plan.

Get a freaking job and then buy some freaking insurance already!

If you don't have enough insurance to have a kid, don't have a kid yet!

For the love of God, what happened to the concept of taking care of yourself, being responsible for your own well being?

this is just pure ignorance

Old 07-24-2009, 01:12 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,543,544 times
Well, one Repub is proposing something. Where have ya'll been?

Home | Center for Health Transformation

Old 07-24-2009, 01:14 PM

422 posts, read 758,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Why change the subject?
Look at the op, and answers from the right. The right had total control of congress and the presidency... They didn't address the problem and are now complaining about how someone else is addressing the problem.. If they wanted it fixed their way they had their chance.
So again what are their alternatives?

For the last 8 years the Fat Republican Party has benefited from them just sitting back and watching the Health Insurance Industry together with high health costs just rape the country for whatever it wanted. They are the ones who should be fixing Health Care they were too busy invading countries.......this is embarrassing how they get on TV and talk about how it's broken but this is not the way to fix it, should of thought about that for the last 8 years instead of letting this problem snowball on us, thanks again Republicans for your hard work in congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies