Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:43 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Wrong. Advance directives can be changed anytime by the patient. You obviously don't work in health care. You're just faking it.
And these advanced directives are required every 5 years?

Your attitude sucks, and its quite apparent that you have a true inability to have a discussion of any issue people have. In some instances, people may not have a clear idea of what is going on, and points are raised. Instead of coming into a thread and attacking that person as an idiot, which subsquently makes you appear that you take the stance that anybody that questions Obama is a moron, maybe you should take the time to explain to them in a respectful manner.

The only idiot I see on this board is the one who thinks they sit so high on a pedestal, they don't have to treat anybody with respect and can call anybody names that doesn't tow the political line. Grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Thanks to Emerlamaiden, we have a link. It requires advance planning consultation IF, IF, IF, IF the patient has not done so in the past 5 years. If you have an advance directive that is more than 5 years old. IF, IF, IF, IF, IF, IF, IF. What part of IF do some of you not understand?

No one is required to go to a "consultation" every 5 years. You are just required to update your plans if it has been more than 5 years. Why is this a good idea? Because circumstances change. Your spouse might be your POA, and s/he is no longer alive to do so, etc.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:46 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,055,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
There's nothing wrong about patients discussing ahead of time with their doctors what their wishes are for end of life care. That's what advance directives are all about.
but why does the government have to make it a law? Why is Government making private decisions for people?

Who cares how long this has been a law? Its a Government intrusion in private lives. I know you liberals love it when the government tells you what to do.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:48 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,055,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Thanks to Emerlamaiden, we have a link. It requires advance planning consultation IF, IF, IF, IF the patient has not done so in the past 5 years. If you have an advance directive that is more than 5 years old. IF, IF, IF, IF, IF, IF, IF. What part of IF do some of you not understand?

No one is required to go to a "consultation" every 5 years. You are just required to update your plans if it has been more than 5 years. Why is this a good idea? Because circumstances change. Your spouse might be your POA, and s/he is no longer alive to do so, etc.
So the Government has to tell you to update your plans. I will write them a thank you letter for being such a good parental influence.

Soon we will live in the complete nanny state and the Government will be requiring us to brush our teeth twice a day.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:50 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,059,627 times
It's just smoke to promote negative publicity about the bill.

I don't like the bill myself, but making crap up is ridiculous....it's just propaganda. Base the debate on the facts and don't insult the listener that they cannot make their own decision by lying and fear mongering to the to decide your way.

If they did it half of congress would be asked if they want to end their lives, which would last about 30 seconds.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I gave you a link on another thread and you attacked me instead of going to look at it. The thing I told you to google gave almost 80,000 hits and that was not enough for you. Now tell another one before that one get cold.

But your whole reasoning here is to start a fight so as to call attention away from the bad health plan. Why don't we all get back to the health plan. If there is something positive about throwing the old people out to pasture, tell me what it is. Honor thy Father and thy Mother would not go well with this health plan.
Well, I don't keep track like you do. I don't specifically remember that situation, but if you google, say, "Obama" you will get numerous hits, most of which are irrelevant. I think that is what happened previously. And you have argued strenuously with me in the past that you don't give links, that the person who questions YOU should do the research, etc.

Back to topic, I related my experience at my church. I will add, this was a talk to the senior citizens group. Many had bad experiences with their own parents dying, while health care providers were trying to prolong their lives. They didn't want that to happen to them. The vast majority filled out advance directives right there.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:51 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
but why does the government have to make it a law? Why is Government making private decisions for people?

Who cares how long this has been a law? Its a Government intrusion in private lives. I know you liberals love it when the government tells you what to do.
I disagree. The government is not making the decision for you. It's saying - hey, we need you and your doctors to know what YOU want your doctors to do in case you can't tell them. Who speaks for you when you can't talk? Your Advance Directive speaks for you. This section of the bill simply says that your health care professionals need to educate you on your options.

The meeting is not between an agent of the federal government and a citizen, it is between a person and their chosen doctor. As it should be.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post

Because the health care facility has a responsiblity to the patient. Patients come in with no AD, the hosp. doesn't know what the pt. wants, so has to do everything possible to keep the pt. alive. It should be a "personal responsibility". But lots of people don't do it. How many on here have an AD? I do.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:55 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVIa4xm...551/hr3200.pdf

Just so everyone is on the same page, I've linked to the bill above, and quoted part of the section Jenny is talking about. Obviously, there is more to the section. Section 1233 begins on page 424 and ends on page 434.

Here's part of the relevant section:

[/indent]
So, if you haven't had this sort of discussion with your doctor in the past 5 years, you should have one. What is wrong with this exactly?
Things can change a lot in five years.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:57 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Back to topic, I related my experience at my church. I will add, this was a talk to the senior citizens group. Many had bad experiences with their own parents dying, while health care providers were trying to prolong their lives. They didn't want that to happen to them. The vast majority filled out advance directives right there.
Katiana, my family has had to go through meetings with my mother's doctors to determine how far we wanted to go to keep her alive. She has a rare autoimmune disorder (Wegener's Granulomatosis), which, at its peak, involved almost all body systems. Since she also has severe osteoporosis, the doctors advised us of what would happen to her if they attempted CPR. Even my stepfather, who would move heaven and earth to keep her here, agreed that a DNR was in order, should her heart become involved. Thankfully, it did not, and she is still with us, 9 years later.

And, yet - I don't know if she has an Advance Directive. I hope she does, but I doubt it. She's a procrastinator (must be where I get it from!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies