Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:05 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times

Advertisements

Although I've posted about this in the past, now that the Republicans are trying to frighten people by talking about Death Panels, I think it's a good time to bring up the subject once again.

When George W. Bush was governor, he signed the Texas Futile Care Law. This allows a hospital to stop care when the patient's care is considered to be wasteful. Babies have been killed too. Here's one case.

[URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/10/AR2007041001620.html"]Case Puts Texas Futile-Treatment Law Under a Microscope - washingtonpost.com[/URL]

Here's another

[URL="http://www.prolifeblogs.com/articles/archives/2006/05/another_potenti.php"]Another Potential Texas Futile Care Law Victim :: Futile Care :: ProLifeBlogs[/URL]

and another

[URL="http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/healthlawprof_blog/2005/03/lifesupport_sto.html"]HealthLawProf Blog: Life-Support Stopped for 6-Month-Old in Houston[/URL]

Even if a patient's family does not agree with the doctor or hospital, if they cannot afford to pay, this law gives permission to the hospital to refuse care.

As I've said many times, the hypocrisy of the Republicans is shameless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 12:19 AM

I posted links about the babies whose lives were ended by the Texas Law, also known as the Advance Directives Act, but I want to add that, while the Republicans (including George Bush and his brother Jeb) were raising questions about the ethics of allowing Michael Schiavo to stop life support for his brain-dead wife, families in Texas who didn't have the means to pay for private care were frantically trying to save their loved ones. Even if a man or woman has a Living Will and requested life support, that care is denied if the hospital feels it's futile. Ask the family of Spiro Nikolouzos who was 68. Ask the family of Edith Pereira who was 91.

Last edited by justNancy; 10-08-2009 at 12:29 AM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 10-08-2009, 12:49 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Although I've posted about this in the past, now that the Republicans are trying to frighten people by talking about Death Panels, I think it's a good time to bring up the subject once again.

When George W. Bush was governor, he signed the Texas Futile Care Law. This allows a hospital to stop care when the patient's care is considered to be wasteful. Babies have been killed too. Here's one case.

Case Puts Texas Futile-Treatment Law Under a Microscope - washingtonpost.com

Here's another

Another Potential Texas Futile Care Law Victim :: Futile Care :: ProLifeBlogs

and another

HealthLawProf Blog: Life-Support Stopped for 6-Month-Old in Houston

Even if a patient's family does not agree with the doctor or hospital, if they cannot afford to pay, this law gives permission to the hospital to refuse care.

Sounds like something we should rally against. Steven Hawkin would agree.

I was in Geneva, at CERN, the big particle accelerator, in the summer of 1985. ... I caught pneumonia and was rushed to hospital. The hospital in Geneva suggested to my wife that it was not worth keeping the life support machine on. But she was having none of that. I was flown back to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge, where a surgeon called Roger Grey carried out a tracheotomy. That operation saved my life but took away my voice.

Hawking biography

Thanks but you can keep that government run health care system. If they wanted to pull the plug on a smart guy like Steven Hawkin, most of the rest of us would be screwed.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:28 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,580 times
Well it looks like Bush and hussein obama have more in common then just being cousins.

Last edited by dcsldcd; 10-08-2009 at 01:28 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-08-2009, 05:52 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,141 times
I'm curious. If Bush had been from, say, New Mexico or even Oklahoma, would he still be railed against?

Old 10-08-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Sounds like something we should rally against. Steven Hawkin would agree.
Where the heck do you get this stuff? Stephen Hawking said he's been misquoted by the conservatives in the U.S. many times. The more lies that are spread, the more the right wing conservatives lose their credibility. So, to use a popular expression, let's hear it directly from the horses mouth.

Stephen Hawking defends British health care system against U.S. conservatives - Posted (http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/posted/archive/2009/08/12/stephen-hawking-defends-british-health-care-system-against-u-s-conservatives.aspx - broken link)

[URL]http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=8326680[/URL]

"The superheated debate broadened this week to include renowned physicist Stephen Hawking, a British icon who suffers from motor neurone disease. A U.S. newspaper wrote that under the British system Hawking would be allowed to die — an assertion that Hawking said was absurd.
"

"I wouldn't be here today if it were not for the NHS," Hawking said, joining the ranks of those praising Britain's system."

"I have received a large amount of high-quality treatment without which I would not have survived."

In fact, Hawking asked the anti-Obama groups to stop posting lies about the NHS in Great Britain. Here are 2 publications from the UK disputing the claims of the anti-health reform groups in the United States.

[URL]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1205953/NHS-branded-evil-Orwellian-high-level-US-politicians.html[/URL]

'I owe my life to the NHS': Stephen Hawking tells US to stop attacking health service

[URL]http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/aug/12/birthers-stephen-hawking-paul-rowen[/URL]

Last edited by justNancy; 10-08-2009 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: fix post, add links

Old 10-08-2009, 12:33 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,685,741 times
Quote:

Here's another

and another

So, basically, you expectation is that a hospital should have to provide continued care, for somebody they believe it won't affect, at a loss, which in turn is written off and covered by the public.... because, the family can't come to terms that its a lost cause?

I suppose, if I were spending other peoples money, I wouldn't have any consideration of the costs either... wouldn't really matter if its a lost cause.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:39 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,685,741 times
From the article posted:

"I believe there is a hospital that is going to accept my son," said Gonzales following the brief hearing. "I just want to spend time with my son. . . . I want to let him die naturally without someone coming up and saying we're going to cut off on a certain day." -Said the mother

Does she not realize that her son WOULD die if left to being natural? The machines she can't pay for is whats keeping him alive.

Additionally, the hospital offered all of this care for free from December - April and only then said that either she has to find another hospital to continue care, or they are shutting off the machines.

Sorry, I just don't really see the problem here. The hospital offered MONTHS of services for free and determined that after little improvement, it was spending money that was not helping the situation or offering improvement.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:

Here's another

and another

Hardloy shocking coming from a party that believes in executing babies if born alive in a abortion.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:46 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
So, basically, you expectation is that a hospital should have to provide continued care, for somebody they believe it won't affect, at a loss, which in turn is written off and covered by the public.... because, the family can't come to terms that its a lost cause?

I suppose, if I were spending other peoples money, I wouldn't have any consideration of the costs either... wouldn't really matter if its a lost cause.
I don't think that was the OP's point at all. I think her point was that these sorts of decisions are already made every day so for some to argue that a government-run system would somehow institute or encourage these decisions is simply hypocritical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies