Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 09:48 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times

Advertisements

I have a son in the Navy and my nephew wants to join. He just finished high school but the recruiter told him there are no jobs in any field right now. He said he could probably get him in but he would be put on a waiting list for a job assignment and a school.
That strikes me as odd. What is he supposed to do while on the waiting list? Nothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 09:50 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have a son in the Navy and my nephew wants to join. He just finished high school but the recruiter told him there are no jobs in any field right now. He said he could probably get him in but he would be put on a waiting list for a job assignment and a school.
That strikes me as odd. What is he supposed to do while on the waiting list? Nothing?
Tell him to try the Army.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:12 PM

439 posts, read 443,545 times
It is Obama's intention to gut the US military, as Carter did.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:13 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
National Guard also. If you need a number I can get you one. In 2 weeks my friend leaves for the reserves (boot camp part deux) and will be getting a heft signing bonus.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:37 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,425 times
Quote:
It is not uncommon for a branch of the military to say that their are no jobs available, and there can be several difference reasons for saying this:

1. Currently all recruiting quotas are filled, which means no one is immediately being shipped out. In this case you sign up and what until the next batch of openings occurs. This is what happened in my case, signed up in October, didn't ship out until March, no biggie.

2. His scores are good enough to get into the navy, but low enough that he is way behind others being picked to go in now. The military will always pick the better qualified folks first. A recruiter might tell them there are no jobs now in order not to discourage them for the future, just because they fall under the current cut off doesn't mean 3 months down the line they will need any qualified applicant they can get their hands on.

3. He just doesn't qualify and the recruiter doesn't want to tell him for some reason, so he makes up a lie.

Now, before you get upset, I am not saying your nephew isn't skilled and talented, I am just giving you possible reasons. Tell him to get more info, find out things like if he signs up now, how soon do you think before I would ship out to boot camp, is there a recruiting freeze, are my scores good enough, etc.

Another thing you got to remember is that in times of bad economy, the rate of folks separating from the military drops massively. Why go into a bad job market when you have a guaranteed income doing what you are already doing?

Tell your nephew to keep trying, and wish him luck for me.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:09 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Geez, the Navy is now welfare?
Why does he automatically deserve a job in the military?
He's supposed to get a job, learn a trade, take responsibility for himself.
Just like millions of other people do.

Try the Army and/or Marines if he can't make it on the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Joe White View Post
We have too many people in the military now.
We need to right-size it; just like they do in every field, company, corporate entity.
I thought you were against welfare; I could be wrong.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:15 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,305,742 times
Chielgirl,

You have no clue about this topic and did not help Kevk out!

I am retired Marines and can tel, you we are always looking
for a few good people. Army is hungry for more troops as will
as the Navy is, but know that want smart people who past
the asvab with a high score.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Why do you think I suggested Marines and/or Army.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:21 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,305,742 times
The Marines don't take anyone and their boot camp is very hard to pass.
20% that join drop out or get booted out!
That doesn't happen in any other branch!

Old 07-26-2009, 05:29 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Joe White View Post
The military is a wasting machine. The need to learn the meaning of efficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies