Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:27 PM

247 posts, read 538,458 times

Advertisements

Who is responsible for the current state of big money pit of the military and why are so many repubs against paying taxes to support it but in favor of keeping it overstuffed and inefficient?Fyi, i am neither a democrat or republican.I think labels are worthless.I know there is hypocrisy and a lot of waste on the left side of the fence as well but thought i'd start on the right.Am i wrong to ask this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 08:29 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Which republicans are we talking about?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:33 PM

Maybe i asked the question wrong, let me try again.Why are so many republican not in favor of raising taxes but yet so favor of a large and ominous military power.WHERE IS THE MONEY SUPPOSED TO COME FROM TO SUPPORT IT?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:37 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No attitude View Post
Maybe i asked the question wrong, let me try again.Why are so many republican not in favor of raising taxes but yet so favor of a large and ominous military power.WHERE IS THE MONEY SUPPOSED TO COME FROM TO SUPPORT IT?

Mmmm perhaps cutting other programs. Stimulus for a start. But no, there are some dopes discussing a second stimulus.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:41 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,188 times
Corporate taxes cover the military budget in its entirety, or at least it used to..

Old 01-25-2010, 08:41 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No attitude View Post
Well imagine how much further our defence budget would go if politicians stopped attaching so much pork to it.
Imagine how much money would be saved ,if we actually brought our troops home from bases in other countries, and used them to seal our southern border.
Imagine if we told the Military no more building gulf courses on their bases?
What if we told our elected reps that they need to fly commercial airlines instead of using our military planes for a Taxi service.
This country is hemorrhaging tax dollars. The military is a favorite for our elected reps to use for their pork projects and earmarks.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:42 PM

Appreciate any "smart republicans" coming forward with any responses that may educate a little about this.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:42 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Last time I checked, I pay income taxes. And the last time I checked, income taxes are used first and foremost to fund national security.

Not sure where the disconnect is.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:43 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Last time I checked, I pay income taxes. And the last time I checked, income taxes are used first and foremost to fund national security.

Not sure where the disconnect is.
Bzzzzt. Income taxes are used first and foremost to pay interest on our loans. Not one dime goes to the troops until that obligation is satisfied.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well imagine how much further our defence budget would go if politicians stopped attaching so much pork to it.
Imagine how much money would be saved ,if we actually brought our troops home from bases in other countries, and used them to seal our southern border.
Imagine if we told the Military no more building gulf courses on their bases?
What if we told our elected reps that they need to fly commercial airlines instead of using our military planes for a Taxi service.
This country is hemorrhaging tax dollars. The military is a favorite for our elected reps to use for their pork projects and earmarks.
So the miltary has become a business in a way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies