Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:49 AM

192 posts, read 219,847 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this rule can be applied to everyone in the military, but throughout my life I have known many people in all branches of the military and almost all of them have said that most, NOT ALL, of the people in the military support Republican politicians, policies, and candidates. Even the black people I know in the military did not support Chairman 0bama.

Are there any statistics on whether or not the military supports one party over another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 09:44 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,259,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyholiday View Post
I don't know if this rule can be applied to everyone in the military, but throughout my life I have known many people in all branches of the military and almost all of them have said that most, NOT ALL, of the people in the military support Republican politicians, policies, and candidates. Even the black people I know in the military did not support Chairman 0bama.

Are there any statistics on whether or not the military supports one party over another?
I guess the Algore people in 2000 must have thought that the military people would lean heavily Republican since they worked so hard to keep the overseas military votes from being counted.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:21 AM

272 posts, read 215,808 times
Yes i think you will find that the majority of military personnel and even Civilians in the DOD support th republican party. otherwise You would be biting the hand the feeds you.

As a republican myself I dont like the idea of unions but have had no qualms throughout my working life supporting unions that I was a member.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:02 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,032 times
Quote:

I know in the 04 election it's was around four out of every 5 military members supported President Bush. I think McCain got 56-60% of the vote in 08.

I was talking with my Brother in Law who is an Officer in the Marine Corps about this. Myself who got out of the Army coming up on 2 years ago, both feel President Bush had his values and stuck with his guns. I think alot of his morals made him very likable to the military. Say what you want but look at the videos of when President Bush would speak at a military installation, the military LOVED him.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:09 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,347,398 times
I can only say that forty years ago the military was not all Republican. I recall a New York pimp and a Chicago gang member in my F111 squadron who were Dems.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:10 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Code Pink, these people are constantly outside Walter Reed Medical Centre protesting. Liberals are traitors. You guys would give us over to the terrorists so quick our heads would spin. My grandparents go to a large Unitarian Universalist Church, and every single member there thinks we need to demilitarise, because they believe if we put down our guns then the terrorists will too. Not going to happen. Again, liberals are traitors.

And YOU, are a LIAR!

Old 09-12-2009, 01:59 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,652 times
The likes of Ike and Reagan assured the military vote would be a Republican bloc. The demilitarization that occurred in the post-Cold War 90s contributed to Democrats slipping on military support. A lot of local economies (esp. in the Midwest and South) depend on military bases, and when the budget was nerfed, many of them fell into decay. There was also the fiasco of Gore trying to keep military personnel overseas from having their votes counted..

Not sure how Obama will affect the military vote, guess we will see how Afghanistan fairs between now and 2012.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:06 PM

639 posts, read 1,142,559 times
Tough question....support those who support you.......or support those who hate, condemn, endanger, vilify, undermine, you.......what do you think????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-12-2009, 02:06 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,339,666 times
This information is from 2004.
Military vote softens but doesn't shift - Politics- msnbc.com
A poll conducted late last year by the Military Times found that 57 percent of those surveyed consider themselves Republican, while 13 percent identified with the Democrats. Among the officer corps the numbers were different. Nearly 66 percent of officers considered themselves Republican compared with 9 percent Democratic. Nearly 30 percent of those surveyed by the Military Times declined to answer the questions or said they were independent.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:23 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,902,996 times
Losing The Military Vote (http://www.newmajority.com/losing-the-military-vote - broken link)
Quote:
A recent study by the Center for Responsive Politics (August, 2008) indicated that Barack Obama raised more money from military people than any other presidential candidate. Obama’s donations far exceed the amount raised by John McCain, the Republican candidate who represents the party that traditionally receives the bulk of military support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies