Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:07 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marfa View Post
That is not true. He didn't call anyone "stupid." He said the officers "acted stupidly" by arresting the man after he had proven that it was his home. (Words matter, Atilla.) He never gave any indication that he "assume" the police "were being racist." Also, that the man was arrested after police knew he was the homeowner was a known fact, admitted publicly by all involved, so he didn't state that "before he had the facts." He never said the police "were being racist"; indeed, he clearly indicated that he did not believe race played a role in this incident. So, again, please indicate what about his words were "prejudice[d]." Perhaps it is you who speaks "before [you have] the facts." Or are you simply being dishonest and twisting the truth?
Mistakes were made by all parties involved.

This thing was way overblown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 11:55 AM

Location: A wonderful, socioeconomically, ethnically, and culturally diverse little town
70 posts, read 74,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Mistakes were made by all parties involved.

This thing was way overblown.
I agree completely. The officers, Gates, the media, and the President, all made mistakes. However, I wish that when discussing this issue, people would not twist the truth into falsehood in order to make the President's share of blame seem worse than it actually is, or to make him seem like a racist. It's clear that some here are looking to demonize him in any way they can, and they're practicing dishonesty in order to do so. The truth is, the media gave it way too much attention and distracted from far more important issues. The officer was being too prideful and wouldn't just drop it and leave once he saw that everything was okay. Gates was extremely unreasonable in his response to a perfectly legitimate inquiry by the police, and helped provoke the officer's own inappropriate behavior. For the President's part, he chose his own words "stupidly." He should not have used the word "stupidly," but rather "inappropriately." He didn't attempt to make it into a race issue, as many have wrongly alleged, and he was not wrong in answering the question. If one listens objectively and reasonably to his comments, it is clear that he was indeed attempting to diffuse the notion that race played a role in the incident. I feel I have done a good job of explaining how the President's own comments show this truth - word for word. However, some here continuously ignore those portions of his statements, and insist on removing selected comments from their surrounding context and misquoting them in a fashion that seems to prove their false allegations. Whether they are simply being reckless, or are intentionally dishonest, I cannot say.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:02 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,243,697 times
Obama should have said "no comment." The teachable moment should be Obama's. Shut your mouth and refrain from calling people or their actions names until you have all the facts.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:06 PM

Location: A wonderful, socioeconomically, ethnically, and culturally diverse little town
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Obama should have said "no comment." The teachable moment should be Obama's. Shut your mouth and refrain from calling people or their actions names until you have all the facts.
Do you see what I mean, Yaz?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:26 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marfa View Post
That is not true. He didn't call anyone "stupid." He said the officers "acted stupidly" by arresting the man after he had proven that it was his home. (Words matter, Atilla.) He never gave any indication that he "assume" the police "were being racist." Also, that the man was arrested after police knew he was the homeowner was a known fact, admitted publicly by all involved, so he didn't state that "before he had the facts." He never said the police "were being racist"; indeed, he clearly indicated that he did not believe race played a role in this incident. So, again, please indicate what about his words were "prejudice[d]." Perhaps it is you who speaks "before [you have] the facts." Or are you simply being dishonest and twisting the truth?

I disagree. If he didn't believe that race had anything to do with the Gates arrest, then why did he continue to speak about racial profiling in America? If a man was accused of a sex crime and the President said "I don't know this man" and continued to speak about sexual predators and how we need to stop them etc., he would still be condemning the suspect, even before his trial.

Oh, speaking of racial profling, the 911 tapes were released today. The caller never mentioned race or color and said

"I don't know if they live there and they just had a hard time with their key. But I did notice they used their shoulder to try to barge in and they got in. I don't know if they had a key or not cause I couldn't see from my angle."

In fact, at one point she said that one of the men might be Hispanic!

Funny that it was the final question after an unproductive press conference about health care reform. Although I've been a strong supporter of Obama and voted for him, it seems odd that he ended the conference with a speech about race relations in America. Coincidence?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:35 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
I agree. People really do need to just shut up.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I disagree. If he didn't believe that race had anything to do with the Gates arrest, then why did he continue to speak about racial profiling in America? If a man was accused of a sex crime and the President said "I don't know this man" and continued to speak about sexual predators and how we need to stop them etc., he would still be condemning the suspect, even before his trial.
He spoke further about racial profiling for two reasons: First, it was a two-part question, which concerned both the individual incident, and what it says about America. Second, the President pointed out that because America has a history of racial profiling there are times that people mistakenly believe that racial profiling is occurring when it is not, alluding to the Gates incident. He was clearly trying to diffuse the idea that racial profiling occurred in this case. His exact words were:

“What we know *separate and apart from this incident* is that there is a long history in this country of African Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately…That is a sign – an example – of how race remains a factor in this society. That doesn’t lessen the incredible progress that has been made; I am standing here as testimony to the progress that’s been made. And yet, the fact of the matter is that this still haunts us. And *even when there are honest misunderstandings,* the fact that blacks and Hispanics are picked up more frequently – and often times for no cause – can add suspicion, *even when there is good cause.*â€

Please note the phrases "honest misunderstandings," and "add suspicion, even when there is good cause [for being stopped]." To what do you think the President was referring? Did you not read this explanation in my previous comments? No one will address this. People simply keep presenting the same allegations, as though they do not know of this.

Quote:
Oh, speaking of racial profling, the 911 tapes were released today. The caller never mentioned race or color and said

"I don't know if they live there and they just had a hard time with their key. But I did notice they used their shoulder to try to barge in and they got in. I don't know if they had a key or not cause I couldn't see from my angle."

In fact, at one point she said that one of the men might be Hispanic!
I'm not sure why you're telling me this. I never alleged that this incident involved racial profiling, or that the caller was wrong in making the call. Indeed, I have expressed that she was right to do so, and that I do not believe this was a case of racism. In fact, I have stated that I believe the professor overreacted and wrongly made it race issue.

Quote:
Funny that it was the final question after an unproductive press conference about health care reform. Although I've been a strong supporter of Obama and voted for him, it seems odd that he ended the conference with a speech about race relations in America. Coincidence?
I will not speculate concerning the President's motives, which I could not possibly know.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:46 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,981,476 times
I'm so proud that they all got together, to wash up this BS!

Hopefully this will be a learning Tool!

1. If a Person shows you proof leave his property immediately!

2. If a cop comes to your house and ask you for proof that you live there, Show him the proof and be careful what you say! ( I know it will be very hard !)

3. Be careful to not disrespect the entire Police Dept.

Shake hands and move on!!

Old 07-27-2009, 12:51 PM

537 posts, read 291,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
This country elected one in 2000 and 2004 that never saw anyone as human even when he was drunk as a lord.

Our current President is a huge improvement.
I did not vote for Bush. But Obama is not a huge improvement over our previous President.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:53 PM

537 posts, read 291,980 times
Quote:
Well said.

He started with "I don't have all the facts" and I thought it was a good start. He did not know when to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies