Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 11:54 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,929 times

Advertisements

Saw Kyl on Fox this morning and I've heard this idea from others. The idea I'm talking about is the co-op approach for small business. It sounds interesting to me at least for the small business person.

Kathleen Sebelius thinks there might be room for it:
Sebelius Sees Room for U.S. Health Cooperative, Few GOP Votes - Bloomberg.com

I can see co-ops as an option, don't know why they aren't here now... but I'd still want a public option. Seems to me that the co-op is another private insurer option which is good, but I don't see it as being the overall answer. While I think that the co-op idea is interesting, I don't think it answers how we provide accessible and affordable health insurance for everyone in the country. That's why I think a public option is still required. But, maybe it's a good idea for small business?

From Media Matters on this topic (I know, there are some of you out there that would rather eat a 5 day old rotten fish than go here but I thought it was an interesting view point):
Progressive economists' critiques missing from coverage of "compromise" health co-op plan | Media Matters for America

Finally, when I heard Kyl on Fox this morning, I thought he listed what I were 3 points to the Republican plan. I did a quick search and I'll be darned if I could find a site that outlined these points. Found plenty on co-op though. I believe one of the 3 was allowing health insurance to be sold across state lines, but I can't remember the third. And, I don't know if selling across state lines would help much... I think a public option is still needed.. but since private insurance would still be availble, maybe these two ideas have a place in the overall plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 12:50 PM

Bump...
No comments on this?
Oh well...

Old 07-26-2009, 01:18 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
I can see co-ops as an option, don't know why they aren't here now... but I'd still want a public option.
85% of people have HC insurance, 70-80% are satisfied with the quality.

Why does obama and the dems/libs insist on a complete overhaul of the system - one reason - the ultimate goal of a single payer - the government.

They should focus on the actual problems in the system - and there is no way you will fix those problems by creating a huge, bloated government bureaucracy.

Access to quality HC, controlling costs, portability without creating a new monstrous government entitlement.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
85% of people have HC insurance, 70-80% are satisfied with the quality.

Why does obama and the dems/libs insist on a complete overhaul of the system - one reason - the ultimate goal of a single payer - the government.

They should focus on the actual problems in the system - and there is no way you will fix those problems by creating a huge, bloated government bureaucracy.

Access to quality HC, controlling costs, portability without creating a new monstrous government entitlement.
Well, I think that having accessible and affordable insurance to everyone is a problem and I don't see it fully addressed without a lot of revision of what we currently have. Seems to me that you want to make insurance for those who already have it better and cheaper but don't care much about those who do work hard but still can't afford it.

Since a combination of private and public is being proposed, I'm thinking that the changes suggested by the republicans to the private insurers has merit and should be considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies