Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:17 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Nobody is defending Obama by pointing fingers at Bush. Rather the author is calling the GOP out for being a group of HYPOCRITES.

Just like the same group of usual suspects who post here every day. They are choosing to ignore their own behavior, and history, while vilifying Obama in the next breath. The same group of people who applauded tax cuts while taking part in two wars simultaneously, now cry out loud about fiscal irresponsibility.

They vehemently defended this man until the bitter end. Bush could have eaten a child on live TV and they would have said the kid had it coming. Now they say they were against his spending the entire time....sure thing.

"They"? Who are we talking about? I don't know of a single conservative that I know that liked Bush 2. I voted for him, as the alternatives were worse.

I also do not think any conservative supports out of control spending and "republicans" who promote this practice are not real republicans. Keep in mind that since the Eisenhower administration, the budget has only been in balance under one year of Nixon and two of Clinton. A cumulative debt was still in place. Both presidents added to the total deficit. There was never a "surplus", which makes it sound like there was no debt- only for that year. That what was so funny about the Clinton admin talking about "spending the surplus". We all knew that "surplus" had already been spent years before, so there was no need to go looking for more things to blow it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 03:36 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
Dick Cheney was right

"March 27, 2009 | Dick Cheney once observed that "deficits don't matter," which may well have been the most honest phrase he ever uttered. His words were at least partly true, which is more than can be said for the great majority of the vice president's remarks -- and they certainly expressed the candid attitude of Republicans whenever they attain power. His pithy fiscal slogan should remind us that much of the current political furor over deficit spending in the Obama budget is wrong, hypocritical, and worthy of the deepest skepticism."

Snip, snip

"As for the Republicans, it is difficult to listen to their doomsaying predictions without laughing. They want us to worry about the evils of deficit spending when they obviously don't worry about that at all. Just yesterday, the House Republican leadership distributed what they called an alternative budget. Missing from that thin sheaf of papers was any attempt to estimate what their plan would cost and how much it would increase the deficit. Their ironic ignorance of history was illustrated by their single concrete proposal. They insist that we must cut the maximum tax rate from 36 percent to 25 percent – or the same as the top rate in 1929, on the eve of the Great Depression."

Dick Cheney was right | Salon
I didnt vote for Bush nor Obama so I guess I can complain then.

I think its also being a hypocrite when you complained about them when Bush was president but approve of them now which is even higher then Bush as democrats do now. So that can go both ways

Old 07-29-2009, 03:39 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I agree. I don't think many conservatives were happy with Bush. He was liberal in action and a republican only in name.

Then WHY was he nominated and elected by Republicans......................TWICE?

Old 07-29-2009, 03:41 PM

785 posts, read 1,050,241 times
Good point. On innaguration day the defecit, which was a surplus just 8 years prior to this day, was forecast to hit $1.3 trillion. Most of what Obama has added to the debt came from the stimulus (remember that the Republicans were advocating spending $600 billion for a stimulus) the TARP bailout (which was merely a continuation of Bush's policies) and war funding (which was another continuation of Bush's policies). For the record, I don't agree with Obama continuing the wars and the TARP bailout. But when Obama wants to spend a dime on anything that doesn't include killing people or lining the pockets of incompetent, moronic, greedy millionaires, some of these same people that didn't say a damn thing about the defecit for 8 years are saying "oh my god, Obama's created a $1.8 trillion defecit." If you weren't complaining when Bush was running up the debt, keep your mouth shut.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:45 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
Good point. On innaguration day the defecit, which was a surplus just 8 years prior to this day, was forecast to hit $1.3 trillion. Most of what Obama has added to the debt came from the stimulus (remember that the Republicans were advocating spending $600 billion for a stimulus) the TARP bailout (which was merely a continuation of Bush's policies) and war funding (which was another continuation of Bush's policies). For the record, I don't agree with Obama continuing the wars and the TARP bailout. But when Obama wants to spend a dime on anything that doesn't include killing people or lining the pockets of incompetent, moronic, greedy millionaires, some of these same people that didn't say a damn thing about the defecit for 8 years are saying "oh my god, Obama's created a $1.8 trillion defecit." If you weren't complaining when Bush was running up the debt, keep your mouth shut.

So when do you say enough is enough?

So Obama can spend as much as he wants to as long as its on things you want to spend on. lmbo

There is a word for that but I'll let you figure it out

Old 07-29-2009, 03:58 PM

353 posts, read 552,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Then WHY was he nominated and elected by Republicans......................TWICE?
Democrat swing voters got Bush nominated. Gore and Kerry got him elected.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:00 PM

785 posts, read 1,050,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
So when do you say enough is enough?

So Obama can spend as much as he wants to as long as its on things you want to spend on. lmbo

There is a word for that but I'll let you figure it out
I've actually already said enough. I've written numerous letters to President Obama saying that I oppose excessive military spending, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, the TARP bailout, and the war on Drugs, all of which adds billions to the red ink. I've also said that any new spending should be accompanied by spending cuts and/or tax increases. I have participated in many groups that advocate for the causes that I mentioned as well.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:08 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The alternatives were Gore and Kerry.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:00 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
I've actually already said enough. I've written numerous letters to President Obama saying that I oppose excessive military spending, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, the TARP bailout, and the war on Drugs, all of which adds billions to the red ink. I've also said that any new spending should be accompanied by spending cuts and/or tax increases. I have participated in many groups that advocate for the causes that I mentioned as well.
Hope you aren't complaining about excessive military spending when your backyard gets all blown up during the next round from the friendly ME.

I've written letters saying that I oppose illegals getting health care, college tuition and illegal kids in public schools needing ESL classes who eat up tax payers monies. He didn't get back to me either.

Clinton rode the wave of previous policies coming to fruition while his stupid behind was in office. He had a terrorists head on a platter and said, "ah, let him go and while I'm in a good mood because the IT world is booming all around me, let's never assassinate the head of any state...PETA would object to the slaying of pigs. And anyway, I have to entertain Babs with my sax..then Monica's coming over".

Democrats NEVER cut spending. NEVER EVER. Fiscal responsibility is a pipe dream when there's a (D) after the names of the majority in office.

Turn your lights off at night and on weekends? Are they for real or just really STUPID?

Don't re-decorate...save money...after Michelle added an addition and redecorated...are you kidding? She can but we are supposed to turn the lights out and live with last seasons fabrics?

Perhaps you should have asked Obama about his role in ACORN and his role in the risky loans that shoved this country into the position it's in today.

But Obama's too busy inviting a PO for a beer. On who's buck? To make up for Obama's hot head for calling "racism" where there was none. I hope Obama chokes on his beer or gets really bad heartburn.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:18 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
A $158 billion deficit was considered out of sight by Conservatives? I wonder what libs think about $787 billion in one bill and over $400 billion in the next one. Not much comparison there.

I used to think that $500 billion was a horribly big number and then my entitlement, Medicare, had that same amount cut from it by the Obama group. No wonder they want all of us dead. They can save even more money without us.

No friend, they don't want to kill you. They want to control you. You can't vote for them if you're dead. Well, that is unless ACORN pulls yor name off your tombstone and...

Never mind. As it turns out, you can vote for them if you're dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies