Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 02:40 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,031 times

Advertisements

I don't hate obese people but I don't want to pay for their health problems that are in large part caused by lazyness and gluttony and I don't want to have to pretend that obese people are attractive. I'm a 34 professional single male and take care of myself and the vast majority of women my age are FAT. I'm sure many of those women are funny, articulate, intelligent and kind but I'm not gonna be attracted to them. Call me shallow all you want but I can't MAKE myself be into someone who is sloppy and doesn't take care of themselves. Again, not saying that these women are bad people but I can't force myself to be physically attracted to someone who is fat.

There is a percentage of folks that are overweight due to illness or injury but the vast majority of fat people are fat because of diet and lack of exersise. Staying in shape can be a grind but it's better than having a heart attack at 53 or being so fat you can't fit the seat at the movie theater.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:43 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,228 times
Hey sanrene,

You still don't get it! If overeating always makes a person fat, then why don't many thin people who eat like mad, also become obese?? And you STILL have no proof, that the majority of fat people, eat like starved dogs!! And where do you get the only 3% figure, of fat people who have metabolic issues?? You really don't know, what on earth you're talking about!

Here's a link to an article, that you desperately need to read:
Obesity is Genetic - Newsweek
Maybe after you read it, then you'll finally get a clue, about genetics and obesity.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:45 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,031 times
I will agree that genetics play some part in body shape but in most cases morbidly obese peopel are morbidly obese because they eat too much and won't work out.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:49 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Hey sanrene,

You still don't get it! If overeating always makes a person fat, then why don't many thin people who eat like mad, also become obese?? And you STILL have no proof, that the majority of fat people, eat like starved dogs!! And where do you get the only 3% figure, of fat people who have metabolic issues?? You really don't know, what on earth you're talking about!

Here's a link to an article, that you desperately need to read:
Obesity is Genetic - Newsweek
Maybe after you read it, then you'll finally get a clue, about genetics and obesity.
Blaming fatness on genetics is a lazy cop-out.

Much like alcoholism, one can have a genetic predisposition to being fat. Someone who knows they are predisposed to being an alcoholic should not drink, because then they will not become an alcoholic, and someone with a predisposition to being fat, should not overeat because then they will not become fat. Obesity is a lifestyle choice.

Almost every single fat person consumes more calories than they burn, period. That's called overeating. If your opinion of basically "they can't help it" was correct, then even gastric bypass wouldn't work.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/tr.../fatthin.shtml

Old 10-11-2010, 03:12 PM

30,059 posts, read 18,656,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Suddenly it's okay to hate fat people.

Articles about obesity have been flooding the media. I can't turn on CNN lately without them going on and on about the deleterious effects fat people are having on our insurance rates.

People are actually suggesting the obese be refused certain kinds of foods at restaurants...imagine that...are we going to have to have cards with our daily BMI listed before can be seated by the maitre d'? Will my wife and I have to step on a scale before we are allowed into a restaurant? What kind of society are we turning into?

And the wave of disdain being unleashed on the obese is staggering. News shows love to depict fat tummies and rears walking by, and suggestions are made that Congress has to step in.

I don't give a damn is someone wants to pudge out, and I'm sure as hell not worried about health costs because of fat people. If Congress really wanted to help the public they would put the screws to the lawyers and come up with strict limits on malpractice lawsuits. My $85 annual medical checkup in 1995 is now $450 in 2009. That's to pay for all the people my doctor had to hire for his backoffice paperwork and his malpractice insurance.

It doesn't have a damn thing to do with obese people and health insurance premiums...that's a red herring folks, and we are being told it's okay to hate fat people because it's all their fault.

This is evil, vile stuff that this country is being sold.

Agreed.

I somewhat like Santa, and thus have nothing against fat people. I find it difficult to tell patients to cut weight when I need to shed a few pounds myself.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:18 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,228 times
Hey Mercury Cougar,

You and sanrene, continue to deny the genetic factor, regarding being fat. You think that being overweight, is a moralistic issue. You think that all fat people, are addicted to food, by comparing all of them to alcoholics.

You want to just blame the victim. Some people ARE victims of bad genes, regardless of their level of willpower. And you STILL refuse to explain, why some thin people who eat like truck drivers, can't gain weight!

I have two friends, and neither of them weighs over 97 pounds. They both eat healthy foods, don't overeat, and they exercise regularly. But, they both have type 2 diabetes! Why? Because of their genes!

I'd say that it's become okay to hate the obese, because they're just one more group, that people can look down on in society. Just like it's now okay, for people to bash those on Welfare, the unemployed, the homeless, etc., etc. It's too bad that some people in our society, have to stoop to that level, to make themselves feel good.

Last edited by artwomyn; 10-11-2010 at 03:40 PM..

Old 10-11-2010, 07:59 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
When Did it Become Okay to Start Hating the Obese?

In the third grade

I think fat people have been mocked not only by other children, but in movies, culture, etc... This is nothing new.

Being thin, I've been mocked too, but not to the intensity
I've seen fat people mocked.

It's wrong. It's cruel. It should stop.

Will it. Never, because it makes someone else feel better to mock someone else. A juvenile society I could learn to live without.
Thank you for your answer and insight. I agree with you.

The cruelty (in lieu of compassion) will always be there.

For those who gripe about where 'their' tax money goes, we don't get to designate where it's spent. It's (supposedly) spent on those that need it. However we all know that isn't the case.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:15 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,934,385 times
Quote:
Hey Mercury Cougar,

You and sanrene, continue to deny the genetic factor, regarding being fat. You think that being overweight, is a moralistic issue. You think that all fat people, are addicted to food, by comparing all of them to alcoholics.
Very few people can use the legitimate excuse of metabolic and genetic factors - for the vast majority of obese and grossly overweight people, it just comes down to how much food they stuff themselves with.

Just because an aunt, uncle, sister, mother is fat or plump doesn't mean you are destined to the same fate.

A general lack of will power and discipline, along with lifestyle changes are necessary and most are too lazy and discouraged to get it done.

I KNOW reducing your caloric intake will result in weight loss - but you have to stick with it more than 2 weeks. I've done it.

I also know that eating more than you are burning will result in weight gain for 99% of people.

You aren't going to convince people that the VAST majority of obese and overweight people didn't get that way by eating way, way too much food.

Did you list all you have eaten today?

Give it a try - you might be surprised how quickly those calories add up, especially the ones your body doesn't really need.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:57 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Some of us 'Pariahs' are fat because we have Arthritis and Heart conditions which make exercise difficult.

The main reason we are 'not loved' is, the people to make fun of are limited, with PC being so strong.

It's OK to make fun of fat people, because it is their fault, or at least the perception.
I don't know about pariahs, or lack of love.

People are overweight because they eat too many calories relative to their enery consumption. If you can't exercise because of medical conditions, you really shouldn't eat more than 1,500 calories a day- and that's not much.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:32 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,307,654 times
I agree, most people who are fat are lazy, eat crap all day and don't ever work out. I hate how these stupid Liberals are always trying to stand up for the rights of the fat people, rapists, terrorists, child molesters, illegal immigrants, etc.

In the Liberal world, everybody gets along, no one ever get hurt and people who express their thoughts get punished, if what they say is not PC. In the Liberal world, calling someone fat is very "hurtful", so we need to come up with some BS term to make them feel better about themselves, I am sure it was some dumb Liberal who came up with the term BBW(big and beautiful woman LOL), these people live in a world of fantasy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies