Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 04:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
This is a tired old ploy used by liberals, and the sheeple in the Democratic Party fall for it every time.

This is a tired old ploy used by conservatives, and the sheeple in the Republican Party fall for it every time.
And fits in quite well with their lets hate everything philosophy.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:06 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Hey Mercury Cougar,

You and sanrene, continue to deny the genetic factor, regarding being fat. You think that being overweight, is a moralistic issue. You think that all fat people, are addicted to food, by comparing all of them to alcoholics.

You want to just blame the victim. Some people ARE victims of bad genes, regardless of their level of willpower. And you STILL refuse to explain, why some thin people who eat like truck drivers, can't gain weight!

You didn't read the link I supplied, did you? It explains exactly why. And as long as you whine and complain about being a "victim" of your overeating, you'll be fat. It's when someone takes responsibility for their daily food intake and their daily exercise that they'll start losing weight. It's simple math. More calories in than out = you'll gain weight. It's been proven time and time again.

For a rather grotesque example of this, go watch this season's "Biggest Loser". Even the woman who said she'd tried and failed at everything including gastric bypass has been losing weight through proper nutrition and exercise.

But go ahead and whine about how it's not your fault, that you have no control over it. Don't take responsibility for your own body, and don't admit that you can fix it. After all, personal responsibility isn't in vogue anymore.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:30 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,868 times
Hey Mercury Cougar,

You don't know me, so don't assume that I'm overeating (I don't), or don't exercise (I do). You'r just another blame-the-victim person, who assumes that everybody who has any problems, brought them on themselves. Never mind that being fat, CAN INDEED be a result of low thyroid, genetics, and/or metabolic disorders.

You also assume that all people are equal, regarding their metabolisms. If that's so, how come many thin people, can gorge on junk food and not exercise, but still can't gain weight! That throws your 'calories in calories out' argument, in the dumpster.

And I don't 'whine', I just tell it like it is. So don't preach to me, regarding 'personal responsibility'. As I've said earlier, those like you, like to look down your nose at others. Well you're no better than anyone else, fat or thin!

Old 10-12-2010, 07:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Lot of poor people are fat not because they over eat its because protein and fruits and vegetables cost a lot more than high calorie/carb food, if you are living on a limited budget for food then pasta and rice are going to be a staple in your diet, think Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, Ramin Noodles etc.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:11 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I agree, most people who are fat are lazy, eat crap all day and don't ever work out. I hate how these stupid Liberals are always trying to stand up for the rights of the fat people, rapists, terrorists, child molesters, illegal immigrants, etc.
First of all, I am not a liberal.

Second, did you just list fat people with rapists, terrorists, child molesters, illegal immigrants ?????
Really? Are you serious??

Because I eat too much, I get lumped with these people?

Old 10-12-2010, 08:30 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post

You also assume that all people are equal, regarding their metabolisms. If that's so, how come many thin people, can gorge on junk food and not exercise, but still can't gain weight! That throws your 'calories in calories out' argument, in the dumpster.
You still didn't read that link I posted, did you? Never mind, don't answer that...it was a rhetorical question. What I would like you to answer is where did I ever EVER state that fat and thin people have the same metabolism? Show me, or stop accusing me of something I didn't do. If you bother to actually use your reading comprehension on my first post in this thread, you'll see that I said:

Quote:
...one can have a genetic predisposition to being fat
Nowhere did I say that everyone has a similar metabolism, and if you'd pull your head out of your angry red ball of rage and read the link I posted, you'd see that it says exactly that.

I also stated that:

Quote:
Almost every single fat person consumes more calories than they burn
Is that all fat people? No. Most, yes, because it's a proven fact that most fat people simply eat more calories than they need. But of course you don't see those points I posted. You only see what you want to see, and you fill in the rest with your anger and your bitterness.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:33 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Suddenly it's okay to hate fat people.

Articles about obesity have been flooding the media. I can't turn on CNN lately without them going on and on about the deleterious effects fat people are having on our insurance rates.

People are actually suggesting the obese be refused certain kinds of foods at restaurants...imagine that...are we going to have to have cards with our daily BMI listed before can be seated by the maitre d'? Will my wife and I have to step on a scale before we are allowed into a restaurant? What kind of society are we turning into?

And the wave of disdain being unleashed on the obese is staggering. News shows love to depict fat tummies and rears walking by, and suggestions are made that Congress has to step in.

I don't give a damn is someone wants to pudge out, and I'm sure as hell not worried about health costs because of fat people. If Congress really wanted to help the public they would put the screws to the lawyers and come up with strict limits on malpractice lawsuits. My $85 annual medical checkup in 1995 is now $450 in 2009. That's to pay for all the people my doctor had to hire for his backoffice paperwork and his malpractice insurance.

It doesn't have a damn thing to do with obese people and health insurance premiums...that's a red herring folks, and we are being told it's okay to hate fat people because it's all their fault.

This is evil, vile stuff that this country is being sold.
I completely disagree. No one is telling anyone to hate "fat people".

Obesity in this country has a medical deifinition:

20% above ideal body weight, which is generally 30-40 pounds extra.

In this country adult obesity has gone from only 20-30% in the 1970's

to 75% in 2010!

In 2003 obesity surpassed tobacco as the number one contributor to disease in 2003.

Hence the high rates of type II diabetes, high cholesterol, arthritis in younger patients etc...

In 2003 obesity among kids in this country were about 22%
in 2010 that number has risen dramatically to 35%

It is that obesity has become so prevalent that you see so much coverage on it, not because they are telling people to hate other people.

It is a problem in this country and we need to solve it. Hating on people would not help solve the problem.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:59 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Feed the skinny, starve the fat.

One almond per day. They come in chewables.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:30 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,868 times
Hey Mercury Cougar,

YOU'RE the one who's been angry and hostile. You called me a 'whiner', and lectured me, regarding 'personal responsibility'. Your hostility towards heavy people, is blatantly obvious.

When you talk about 'calories in calories out', you assume that this formula will work the same way, for everyone. I just pointed out, that it's not that simple, for all people (fat or thin).

And where is your proof, that MOST fat people eat too much?? You keep asserting that, but never provide any hard evidence. Again, you're still assuming that most fat people are lazy gluttons. Well that's just you, being judgemental about fat folks!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:38 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I agree, most people who are fat are lazy, eat crap all day and don't ever work out. I hate how these stupid Liberals are always trying to stand up for the rights of the fat people, rapists, terrorists, child molesters, illegal immigrants, etc.

In the Liberal world, everybody gets along, no one ever get hurt and people who express their thoughts get punished, if what they say is not PC. In the Liberal world, calling someone fat is very "hurtful", so we need to come up with some BS term to make them feel better about themselves, I am sure it was some dumb Liberal who came up with the term BBW(big and beautiful woman LOL), these people live in a world of fantasy!
Just curious - Do you go around addressing folks as fat Joe, stupid Jane, rapist immigrant. I bet you even call women the B word, and I don't mean big It has nothing to do with being PC, it has to do with decency

But... since you seem to have a negative for
everyone else, I'll just call you RepuboCRAP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies