Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:42 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Who is talking about a health care provider? This is about the health insurance companies and their corrupt practices. The only reason I can think of somebody defending what they have been doing, is if they are working for a health insurance company and are void of a moral compass.
Why is it OK for providers to make a profit and not insurers?

I was responding to your assertion that healthcare is a right. Every other right we have is free except for the responsibilities we have in relation to that right. The "right" to healthcare you are inventing has a cost and requires no responsibilities.

By the way anyone who disagrees with you doesn't lack a moral compass. Just as I would be wrong to suggest anyone who bashes insurance companies lacks a brain. Of course health insurance companies need greater oversight but destroying our current system where the vast majority of people are satisfied with their insurance company makes no sense.

Most People Satisfied With Their Health Insurance Plans, Consumer Reports Finds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 10:19 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Why is it OK for providers to make a profit and not insurers?

I was responding to your assertion that healthcare is a right. Every other right we have is free except for the responsibilities we have in relation to that right. The "right" to healthcare you are inventing has a cost and requires no responsibilities.

By the way anyone who disagrees with you doesn't lack a moral compass. Just as I would be wrong to suggest anyone who bashes insurance companies lacks a brain. Of course health insurance companies need greater oversight but destroying our current system where the vast majority of people are satisfied with their insurance company makes no sense.
Most People Satisfied With Their Health Insurance Plans, Consumer Reports Finds
Look, I get that you can be antagonistic because nobody can be that obtuse. Who the hell said that insureers do not have a right to make a profit? Did you read that somewhere on my post? G-O-U-G-I-N-G...look it up.

Debate Focuses on A Satisfied Majority
Those With Health Insurance Are Vital

But that does not mean that most Americans necessarily oppose change. In fact, polls also show that a majority of Americans think the health-care system needs alteration.

" 'Satisfied' means they like their doctor and have insurance to go to that doctor," said Stan Greenberg, a Democratic pollster. "Maybe they think their policy is better than what most people have. But it doesn't mean they don't want reform."

A Kaiser poll conducted this month, for example, found that 56 percent of Americans think health-care reform is particularly important, given the state of the economy, and most say the country will be better off if reform happens. But that poll found far less agreement about what changes might mean to individual families.

The reason for the apparent paradox is that even though most people are satisfied with their insurance, they harbor deep concerns about losing their coverage or their ability to afford it and medical care if costs continue rising.

washingtonpost.com

Giving people a public option will force competition of the corrupt insurance companies, not destroy them. Nobody is forced to change the coverage that they already have.

BTW...I would gladly help someone in need even if it mean that they were not able to reciprocate. I guess that speaks volumes about the difference between someone like me and someone such as yourself. Some of us are more socially conscious and understand the benefit of a healthier society as a whole. Healthcare is a right...it is a moral right.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 07-29-2009 at 10:46 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 03:54 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Giving people a public option will force competition of the corrupt insurance companies, not destroy them. Nobody is forced to change the coverage that they already have.
This keeps getting brought up.
How can it not be understood that when the competition can operate on an un-ceilinged deficit there is no "competition"

Old 07-30-2009, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Look, I get that you can be antagonistic because nobody can be that obtuse. Who the hell said that insureers do not have a right to make a profit? Did you read that somewhere on my post? G-O-U-G-I-N-G...look it up.

Debate Focuses on A Satisfied Majority
Those With Health Insurance Are Vital

But that does not mean that most Americans necessarily oppose change. In fact, polls also show that a majority of Americans think the health-care system needs alteration.

" 'Satisfied' means they like their doctor and have insurance to go to that doctor," said Stan Greenberg, a Democratic pollster. "Maybe they think their policy is better than what most people have. But it doesn't mean they don't want reform."

A Kaiser poll conducted this month, for example, found that 56 percent of Americans think health-care reform is particularly important, given the state of the economy, and most say the country will be better off if reform happens. But that poll found far less agreement about what changes might mean to individual families.

The reason for the apparent paradox is that even though most people are satisfied with their insurance, they harbor deep concerns about losing their coverage or their ability to afford it and medical care if costs continue rising.

washingtonpost.com

BTW...I would gladly help someone in need even if it mean that they were not able to reciprocate. I guess that speaks volumes about the difference between someone like me and someone such as yourself. Some of us are more socially conscious and understand the benefit of a healthier society as a whole. Healthcare is a right...it is a moral right.

Who are you to determine price gouging? Reducing insurance company profits will not make a dent in health care costs, only rationing will. Get ready!

Talk about obtuse. You and the dear leader make the false choice between what you want and nothing. No on is suggesting we do nothing.

My goodness aren't you self rightous? Get off your high horse. "Socially conscious to benefit society" with my labor. Very generous of you.

By the way people are happy with their insurance. The public choice will be underwritten by the tax payers. Saying the public plan won't affect choice is like saying the fact that people pay for public schools through property tax doesn't affect private schools. Of course it does, most people can't afford both.

Public insurance can print money to stay in business, the private sector has no such luxury!

Old 07-30-2009, 04:46 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
If insurance companies cannot make a profit, they go bankrupt and close. You have no idea of the costs some people can run up in medical care while the majority of people never have any health problems.

If the government loses money with health insurance, they will simply print it and raise taxes; no private insurance company can do that. The government at every level is expanding to where the United State's largest employer does not have to worry about a profit or efficiency.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:11 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Humana Inc. — $ 834 million - Google Search

Old 07-30-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

CBO health care to cost $1 trillion, that is 1,000 billion or more than 1,000 times Humana's profits. Yeah I can see how much closing insurance companies will contribute to containing costs.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Being a patriotic American I hope that the insurance corporations increase their profits tenfold. Profits is what America is all about. Luxury cars, golf club memberships, yachts, furs, diamonds, all cost money.
Those people who don't have insurance when they need medical care can jump in front of a train. God Ble$$ America.
I responded to this post previously and I probably owe you an apology. I realize that you were just being sarcastic... I must have been tired and fed up with how the right is responding to this issue. I was a bit too quick on the trigger.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Who are you to determine price gouging? Reducing insurance company profits will not make a dent in health care costs, only rationing will. Get ready!

Talk about obtuse. You and the dear leader make the false choice between what you want and nothing. No on is suggesting we do nothing.

My goodness aren't you self rightous? Get off your high horse. "Socially conscious to benefit society" with my labor. Very generous of you.
By the way people are happy with their insurance. The public choice will be underwritten by the tax payers. Saying the public plan won't affect choice is like saying the fact that people pay for public schools through property tax doesn't affect private schools. Of course it does, most people can't afford both.

Public insurance can print money to stay in business, the private sector has no such luxury!
Yeah, you must work for an insurance company...I"m quite sure of that now.
How else would you explain your insistance that it is just fair profits and not gouging. There are tons of articles about the obscene practices and I have posted several links on this very thread. That's right, your statement just proved my point...as if you are not driving on the roads that have been built with society's labor or would not call a fire department that is paid for with everyone's tax dollars. I suppose you'd let a less fortunate person's house burn down. Let's face it, some people do have far more scruples than others, in fact, some people are just plain unscrupulous. I think that has been proven when you take a look at the health insurance companies CEO's ridiculously big bonuses. What determines price gouging? You might want to to do a bit of reading about the people that have suffered due to the greed of the health insurance industrial complex.
BTW...It's not that I am sitting on a high horse, it's just that your point of view is not coming from a very elevated place.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 07-30-2009 at 07:51 AM..

Old 07-30-2009, 07:49 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Yeah, you must work for an insurance company...I"m quite sure of that now.
Glad you finally figured it out....considering he said it one page back.

Quote:
Wait a minute, I am a healthcare provider, are you saying I do not have a right to make a profit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies