Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:27 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,230,174 times

Advertisements

Greatday
Clarify something.
You are arguing mightily about one issue....being fined if not carrying insurance.
You have stated that you do have a policy, that it provides extensive coverage and you consider it reasonable.
There is currently no such fine now so why are you insured ?

You know I am for reform, not a government plan but if it comes to pass I must agree that it's "everybody in the pool"
Since no program will ever satisfy everybody, the percentage of people that can and would prefer to self-insure is vastly smaller than the percentgage of people that would be helped.
And that small number is a group that would not be financially hurt if they are mandated to pay one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 07:36 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,018,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No - I'm happy with a couple of things in the Dem plan:

Elimination of pre-existing conditions

Opening up the insurance pool

Some tort reform

And a few other things

I do oppose the "public option" and the fine if you don't have insurance.

As for the GOP plan - I gave you my opinion earlier.

We need health insurance reform - no question. But, we do not need to get to a government run / sponsored program -
AGain.. you fail to acknowledge why lifting pre-existing condition clauses and then NOT mandating coverage is a DANGEROUS game to play with insurance.. it's common sense right there as clear as the nose on your face.

Also.. NOT mandating and NOT collecting fines for following the mandate still leaves the problem of some remaining uninsured (because they DO exist) that in the end will end up costing more of us money.BTW.. not mandating but lifting pre-existing condition clauses will probably prompt people to FOREGO insurance unless and until it is needed.. which, as we all know doesn't make any kind of sense.

As far as me being on my high horse.. hardly. You're the one who talks about proving financial capability should you "elect" not to have insurance. Well the last time I looked there are a ton of illnesses that could befalll and individual.. most of which cost more money than the AVERAGE American has..hence the HIGH RATE of bankruptcy as a result of medical bills.

Let's look at the average cost of some things.. AVERAGE;;

Medicare Costs for Cancer Treatment Soar - washingtonpost.com
Quote:
Over the course of the study, the average cost for treating a lung cancer patient went up $7,139, to an average of $39,891. With prostate cancer, the average price tag for treatment went up $5,345, to an average of $41,134. The cost of treating breast cancer went up $4,189, to an average cost of $20,964.
If I had more time right now, I'd pull out more "averages". Most AVERAGE people couldn't afford any of this without losing EVERYTHING including their homes to treat.

And.. if they remain uninsured, then get cancer, then sign up for insurane and the insurance has to pay..well guess what.. the REST OF US.. will make up the short fall of the payout the insurance company is making vs. the premiums they NEVER collected because the person didnn't have insurance until they needed it!!!

Common sense.. At least the lawmakers realize the signifigance of removing pre-existing conditions and then not mandating coverage..and at the very least imposing fines for those that do not get coverage.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:19 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,851,772 times
Greatday, Did I miss your post where you answered these question?

However my question is this; how did you reach your conclusions by which you based your recommendations on? Was it from the personal experience of the 100 people "from all walks of life" in this group? If so, how many of those 100 were without health insurance, how many had their insurance rescinded or claims denied, and how many were unemployed?

Did you do any polling or independent research of the general public? Who sponsored this committee? Who paid for the meeting places and the meals?

Also are the results and recommendation of the focus group published anywhere so the general public can view it?

I am very interested so I will thank you in advance for your answers!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:42 AM

351 posts, read 376,194 times
Quote:
And, it has been introduced into the Congress - of course the leftist media has not told you very much about it.

See for yourself:

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/GO...in;contentBody

http://www.house.gov/ryan/PCA/PCAsummary15p.pdf
THIS is the republican plan? No wonder they got destroyed in the last election.
This is nothing more than more of the same and where was the health plan when Bush was President? Didn't need it then ?
This is pathetic and probably short because they ran out of toilet paper to write it on.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:58 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,851,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The Democratic healh care plan costs money. The Republican plan costs lives. Take your choice.

VERO BEACH — The woman who is accused of stabbing a priest at Holy Cross Catholic Church now has a more earthly explanation for her actions.

Woman who stabbed Indian River priest says she couldn't afford her medication.

At the time of her arrest on April 26, Josephine Gatchell, 57, said the priest, the Rev. Michael Massaro, was the devil.

Now, after months in jail, she blamed her actions on having stopped buying medication because her house payments had gone up, forcing her into foreclosure, according to her hand-written letter in court files.

Woman who stabbed Indian River priest says she couldn't afford her medication : Police : TCPalm

Old 08-05-2009, 10:20 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,288,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
However my question is this; how did you reach your conclusions by which you based your recommendations on? Was it from the personal experience of the 100 people "from all walks of life" in this group? If so, how many of those 100 were without health insurance, how many had their insurance rescinded or claims denied, and how many were unemployed?
To be clear - there were more than a 100 in the group.

I do not know/remember the exact numbers but, there were members who had no insurance - for various reasons: a) they could not afford it b) their employer dropped providing insurance, c) they lost their job

We had several who were unemployed at the time -

Again - several who were very vocal about claims being denied - VERY vocal

Quote:
Did you do any polling or independent research of the general public? Who sponsored this committee? Who paid for the meeting places and the meals?
The group themselves did not do any polling.

The Sponsor? The United States Congress

The Meeting places were generally in Washington - at various government office buildings

The Meals - pizza and subs. I do not know who paid - maybe a specific member of Congress did -

Quote:
Also are the results and recommendation of the focus group published anywhere so the general public can view it?
Not that I am aware of.

Senator Backus did mention the group when he opened the hearings on healthcare reform though. I was there (as were other members) - it was nice to be recognized.

I am very interested so I will thank you in advance for your answers![/quote]

Old 08-07-2009, 02:49 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,798,787 times

Can someone show me where people will be FORCED to go on the "government" plan?

I think people should have the option to choose from the public plan (if there will be one...) or from a private insurer.

Republicans love to talk about personality liberty and freedoms but yet they are taking the freedom to choose away from Americans by insisting they stay with private insurance companies. By wanting to take the public plan out of the health care reform/health insurance reform, you are taking away choice.

Quote:
4. Ensure that medical decisions are made by patients and their doctors, not
government bureaucrats.
What about medical decisions being made by someone working for a private insurer?

YouTube - Fight back against health insurance lies

A young woman was going to die without her health insurance company paying for a certain treatment and as she was explaining this to an insurance rep, the woman just replied, "Ok."

Maybe I missed the name of this bill while reading but can you tell me the name of it? H.R.????

Old 08-07-2009, 02:52 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,288,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

Maybe I missed the name of this bill while reading but can you tell me the name of it? H.R.????
You will be forced to have insurance

And, read on - the bill numbers - plural - House and Senate, are there

Old 08-07-2009, 02:58 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,313,506 times
Quote:
And, it has been introduced into the Congress - of course the leftist media has not told you very much about it.

See for yourself:

http://www.house.gov/ryan/PCA/PCAsummary15p.pdf
Thank you for sharing what many of us have known all along. It's just sad because the common excuse among the liberals is the Republicals are being naysayers without offering their own plan.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:09 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,313,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

I think people should have the option to choose from the public plan (if there will be one...) or from a private insurer.
Sigh...With a Govt. sponsored program, they will dictate what procedures are reimbursed and how often they will be accepted. Private insurance will follow in suit just like they do with Medicare. Furthermore, as more people enroll in the cheaper Govt. option, the govt. option will have more leverage and can increasingly dictate policy. This will also cause many private insurers to go out of business thereby increasing the power of the Govt. option. It's essentially the roots that will lead to a single payer system.

Quote:
Republicans love to talk about personality liberty and freedoms but yet they are taking the freedom to choose away from Americans by insisting they stay with private insurance companies. By wanting to take the public plan out of the health care reform/health insurance reform, you are taking away choice.
No, the Republicans see the writing on the wall and understand these Private options can't compete when one of the competitors is the Federal Govt and has unlimited resources. It's not true competition like you think. It's not like choosing between U.S. Mail and FedEx. This is our healthcare we are talking about. It's not about paying a few more dollars for better quality shipping.

Quote:
What about medical decisions being made by someone working for a private insurer?
I'm a physician that works in both the private world (private practice) and the govt area (the VA). Although private insurance has it's share of problems, the are a godsen compared to the VA system. The VA is just a joke and offers some of the worst healthcare in the country. We have to alter the way we practice and the veterans who are there complain about the quality of care. There are so many veterans who pay for private insurance despite receiving free care from the govt because the VA standard of care is poor. I would say the majority of patients in the VA are poor patients who have no choice but to settle for the government treating them. It's pretty obvious to any physician who works in a VA system. People don't go to the VA by choice. I would love if some of the liberals could work in a VA hospital. Their opinion would be drastically changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies