Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 03:21 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
And, it has been introduced into the Congress - of course the leftist media has not told you very much about it.

See for yourself:

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/GO...in;contentBody

http://www.house.gov/ryan/PCA/PCAsummary15p.pdf
your source cbs would qualify as the "liberal media" wouldn't it??
their plan is not reform... its more of the same..just packaged under a new name...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 03:45 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
your source cbs would qualify as the "liberal media" wouldn't it??
their plan is not reform... its more of the same..just packaged under a new name...
Read the legislation.

It is NOT "more of the same"

One example is - the GOP bill would eliminate "pre-existing conditions" as an impediment to getting health insurance

And, there is a lot more.

Read the bill -

Old 08-07-2009, 03:51 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Sigh...With a Govt. sponsored program, they will dictate what procedures are reimbursed and how often they will be accepted. Private insurance will follow in suit just like they do with Medicare. Furthermore, as more people enroll in the cheaper Govt. option, the govt. option will have more leverage and can increasingly dictate policy. This will also cause many private insurers to go out of business thereby increasing the power of the Govt. option. It's essentially the roots that will lead to a single payer system.

I'm a physician that works in both the private world (private practice) and the govt area (the VA). Although private insurance has it's share of problems, the are a godsen compared to the VA system. The VA is just a joke and offers some of the worst healthcare in the country. We have to alter the way we practice and the veterans who are there complain about the quality of care. There are so many veterans who pay for private insurance despite receiving free care from the govt because the VA standard of care is poor. I would say the majority of patients in the VA are poor patients who have no choice but to settle for the government treating them. It's pretty obvious to any physician who works in a VA system. People don't go to the VA by choice. I would love if some of the liberals could work in a VA hospital. Their opinion would be drastically changed.
So you're saying the people shouldn't have a choice between a public option or private health insurance because private health insurers will go out of of business? I need something better than that.

I actually know a man right now being treated at a VA hospital and he and his wife agree he is getting quality care. They had their choice of hospitals but they chose VA.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
So you're saying the people shouldn't have a choice between a public option or private health insurance because private health insurers will go out of of business? I need something better than that.

I actually know a man right now being treated at a VA hospital and he and his wife agree he is getting quality care. They had their choice of hospitals but they chose VA.
First off - the "man" you know can only be treated there for service connected disabilities

Second - as the other person - someone in a position to know a lot more than you - said - the VA is the last place most vets want to go to.

You could not understand this as you a) are not a Vet b) never been to a VA hospital c) never encounter the crap treatment at a va hospital d) never seen the outdated and rusty equipment at some VA hospitals

Old 08-07-2009, 04:27 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
First off - the "man" you know can only be treated there for service connected disabilities

Second - as the other person - someone in a position to know a lot more than you - said - the VA is the last place most vets want to go to.

You could not understand this as you a) are not a Vet b) never been to a VA hospital c) never encounter the crap treatment at a va hospital d) never seen the outdated and rusty equipment at some VA hospitals
That's funny.....my BIL didn't get his cancer in the service some 50 years ago but they let him in.
(Course, he may have lived if he didn't keep going there to keep being told they couldn't figure out what his problem was)

Old 08-07-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
That's funny.....my BIL didn't get his cancer in the service some 50 years ago but they let him in.
Service connected does not necessarily mean the illness manifested itself during military service.

One example today (in litigation) are Vietnam vets exposed to Agent Orange.

Cancers manifested YEARS after service - but are attributed to AO.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:22 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:

So the man's and his own wife's own words don't count? This is rich!
I've never been to a VA hospital? Between visiting the family friend and going with my dad ever so often (because he is also a vet), I'm pretty sure I have some VA hospital experience.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:27 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
The masses are asses. Not a new phrase, but applicable here.

So you so underestimate the political savvy and PR knowhow of the Repubs that you think their wonderful plan isn't getting any play? Give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies