Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 05:08 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Are you really surprised? It seems to be very common on this and other forums,as of late.
No, just quoting the text of the Treason law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 05:12 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I'm thinking that Nancy Genovese is behind this.

I started a thread on this the other day but nobody responded:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...nger-goes.html
A reasonable assumption - though clearly not a proven one.
But, maybe you are right, maybe Beck is worried he pushed too hard.

Ken

Old 08-04-2009, 06:57 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,420,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Very odd. A subdued Glenn Beck asks his viewers to remain calm and not turn violent. What could have provoked this?

Beck implores viewers to not turn violent: "Just one lunatic like Timothy McVeigh could ruin everything"
he has been saying this for YEARS!!! I suggest you actually listen to him instead of listening to blogs. He has said that the movement that is happening in this country should be a peaceful one, if someone goes mcvey and uses the name of the movement to give as reason, then they ruin it for all Americans.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It's another left wing attempt to make Beck look bad.
Not at all. I think you're being a little bit paranoid.

I just found it interesting that he took the time to remind his viewers to not become violent. It's not something you see every day.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:07 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,420,941 times
Quote:
Not at all. I think you're being a little bit paranoid.

I just found it interesting that he took the time to remind his viewers to not become violent. It's not something you see every day.
with Glenn, he warns of this regularly to not allow the "freaks" to ruin a peaceful movement. I am surprised the bloggers have not tried to use this before. He started with the warnings occasionally when Bush was in office doing the idiotic things he did.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:19 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Noahma
with Glenn, he warns of this regularly to not allow the "freaks" to ruin a peaceful movement. I am surprised the bloggers have not tried to use this before. He started with the warnings occasionally when Bush was in office doing the idiotic things he did.
But here's what I don't get: Why does he even feel he has to regularly remind his viewers not to resort to violence? That tells me that a sizeable part of his audience is unstable and potentially dangerous, and that something he's saying is--dare I say it?--inciting them to think about getting violent.

I still say that if a commentator has to regularly say that to his audience, to remind them of Timothy McVeigh, then there's something horribly wrong with the picture.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:22 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
But here's what I don't get: Why does he even feel he has to regularly remind his viewers not to resort to violence? That tells me that a sizeable part of his audience is unstable and potentially dangerous, and that something he's saying is--dare I say it?--inciting them to think about getting violent.

I still say that if a commentator has to regularly say that to his audience, to remind them of Timothy McVeigh, then there's something horribly wrong with the picture.
I agree. I'm glad you said it for me, though. I didn't want to get into a back and forth with anyone over it.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:26 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,378,115 times
Quote:
Very odd. A subdued Glenn Beck asks his viewers to remain calm and not turn violent. What could have provoked this?

Beck implores viewers to not turn violent: "Just one lunatic like Timothy McVeigh could ruin everything"
Glenn always tells his listeners to be respectful and peaceful while letting their voices be heard:
The press won't have a reason to denigrade the messenger.
The issue will be heard and there will be no reason to ignore or label the messenger.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:31 AM

And here's what else I notice and this is anecdotal, I know: Everyone I've met who watches Glenn Beck has a lot of irrational fears. I'm not talking about traditional coservative opposition to Obama, but people who say that the country is no longer worth saving, that liberals shouldn't be part of America anymore, that The Democrats will turn us into a communist country. I don't know if Beck says this stuff, but his listeners seem to come to these conclusions.

They just live in this paranoid fear of everything even remotely left wing. But it's not the fear that Democrat policies will bring problems. It's that they will destroy america itself. Ironic that these guys who talk about the greatness of America have so little faith in it's resilience to withstand what they see as an assault on it, and transmit that pessimism on to their listeners who no longer believe in America anymore. Sapping American morale can be just as destructive, IMO.

Anyway, I'm just reporting what I see.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AnUnidentifiedMale
I agree. I'm glad you said it for me, though. I didn't want to get into a back and forth with anyone over it.
No problem. Don't blame ya one bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies