Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 10:29 PM

189 posts, read 335,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
"Self-determination" to do what? Own slaves?
You need to dig deeper than your elementary school history book. The northern states who wanted cheap raw materials for their factories tried to stop the southern states from trading with any of the European powers.

No one denies that slavery was an abomination and a blot on America's history. But it was NOT the reason the Confederate States left the union. The abolition movement was strong and growing at the time, both in the north and the south. But it was ignored by the federal government until it became a convenient propoganda tool against the south DURING the war.

Give some thought to what I posted about the economic nature of war. EVERY war has an economic motive. A moral whitewash is always provided as a propoganda tool to make mom feel better about Johnny coming home in a box.

If you've never read General Smedley Butler's "War is a Racket" you should. He names every campaign he was involved in, and the economic reason they did it. These campaigns all had "justifications" as well. But those justifications were NEVER the real reason for the war.

Another question you should find the answer for: How did Britain end slavery? Why was their solution not done in America?

EDIT: Here's a linkie for you. It's a very quick read, but very enlightening. It was written by the man who was, at the time, the most decorated Marine in history, including two Medals of Honor. http://www.lexrex.com/enlightened/ar...risaracket.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:30 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Obama is not a "leftist." I'm sorry, but he absolutely is not. Do you even know what a "leftist" is? OR are you just repeating the FOX talking points?

And spare me the "greater government" and "redistribution of wealth" nonsense--unless, of course, you were just as concerned with those issues during the Bush years--when the government grew as never before, and the redistribution of wealth to the wealthy also grew as never before.

Why the love for GWB? Economically Bush was surely no conservative. Greater government involvement and redistribution of wealth is a leftist cornerstone. (By the way Bush didn't redistribute wealth, and please don't start with the wealthy nonsense. Allowing someone to keep their wealth is not redistribution. Taking wealth from one party and giving it to another is redistribution.)

Old 08-04-2009, 10:51 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
No, one can be well read, undersatand issues, argue from a position of being informed, and have knowledge of an issue at hand and come to a completely different conclusion than you. I really truely believe that you don't think that is possible. That is why you are condecending and elitist.
I just indicated that people can be well read, etc., and come to a completely different conclusion than me.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klapton View Post
You need to dig deeper than your elementary school history book. The northern states who wanted cheap raw materials for their factories tried to stop the southern states from trading with any of the European powers.

No one denies that slavery was an abomination and a blot on America's history. But it was NOT the reason the Confederate States left the union. The abolition movement was strong and growing at the time, both in the north and the south. But it was ignored by the federal government until it became a convenient propoganda tool against the south DURING the war.

Give some thought to what I posted about the economic nature of war. EVERY war has an economic motive. A moral whitewash is always provided as a propoganda tool to make mom feel better about Johnny coming home in a box.

If you've never read General Smedley Butler's "War is a Racket" you should. He names every campaign he was involved in, and the economic reason they did it. These campaigns all had "justifications" as well. But those justifications were NEVER the real reason for the war.

Another question you should find the answer for: How did Britain end slavery? Why was their solution not done in America?

EDIT: Here's a linkie for you. It's a very quick read, but very enlightening. It was written by the man who was, at the time, the most decorated Marine in history, including two Medals of Honor. WAR IS A RACKET - Major General Smedley D. Butler - USMC Retired
I don't need a link. I don't disagree with you, entirely, about the reasons for the Civil War. But you still haven't answered my question of why 1861 stripped the states of self-determination.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:54 PM

720 posts, read 705,661 times
The lunatics are the ones who have fallen for this debacle called heath care reform and yes I want my country back also!

Old 08-04-2009, 10:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I agree.

Real Americans, the other group/side hate America and our freedoms.
Please define "Real Americans". I already asked someone else, and she has apparently declined to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicWings View Post
Gray haired Americans creating civil disobedience. Ya gotta love it.
What worries me is this:

"There is a lot of disinformation about health insurance reform out there, spanning from control of personal finances to end of life care. These rumors often travel just below the surface via chain emails or through casual conversation. Since we can’t keep track of all of them here at the White House, we’re asking for your help. If you get an email or see something on the web about health insurance reform that seems fishy, send it to flag@whitehouse.gov"
Been there, done that! Ever heard of the Gray Panthers?

Something tells me that e-mail address is bogus. I'm not going to try it; we just got our computer back up and running again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicWings View Post
The mayor of New York city wanted to secede with the South...oh I forgot...there was no Civil War. My Great Great Grandfather, 3rd Cavalry, Tennessee Volunteers (Lillards)
MY great-grandfather was with the Wisconsin Infantry.

Quote:
I guess it depends on what part of the country you live in. There was a veteran on the forum just a couple of weeks ago who raved about his medical care in his VA hospital. And yes, I have been to a VA hospital, in Oregon. Many times. My aunt was a veteran, and it was excellent.
My uncle (related to the ggf above) gets care for his heart condition from the VA. He lives in a rural area, and the VA is the best care for him in that little neck of the North Woods.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:01 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post

The lunatics are the ones who have fallen for this debacle called heath care reform and yes I want my country back also!
Sorry, your party destroyed it, so the rest of us kicked your butts to the curb so we could clean up the mess. It's our country, too. We wanted it back and we took it back.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Why the love for GWB? Economically Bush was surely no conservative. Greater government involvement and redistribution of wealth is a leftist cornerstone. (By the way Bush didn't redistribute wealth, and please don't start with the wealthy nonsense. Allowing someone to keep their wealth is not redistribution. Taking wealth from one party and giving it to another is redistribution.)
He absolutely and most certainly DID redistribute wealth. He took the wealth from the middle class to run his war, gave tax breaks to the wealthy (in which they paid lower taxes than ever before, and promptly took their businesses offshore).

Seriously, dude, stop watching FOX!

Old 08-04-2009, 11:19 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Sorry, your party destroyed it, so the rest of us kicked your butts to the curb so we could clean up the mess. It's our country, too. We wanted it back and we took it back.
No, you want government to control your life because you are too lazy to make any decisions for yourself.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:29 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
You'll have a chance in 2010. It's called voting. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies