Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:13 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
It would be different if the clowns holding the meetings had something worth saying, but all they want to do is say we know what is good for you
Well then there's really no point in attending the meeting at all, right?

Quote:
you might want to hop on board with this plan, but more of us do not.
That's not what the CNN poll released today says, but if you want to doubt it, that's your prerogative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 06:39 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
So what if protesters don't live there? Is there a constitutional provision that says you can only protest in a specific place?

Old 08-05-2009, 06:46 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The crowd was so disrespectful that one frustrated attendee said he had come to the town hall with the intention of giving Rep. Green “a really hard time,” but changed his mind because he was fed up with another man who was “screaming behind my head for the last hour.”

Local Fox Reporter Attends Town Hall And Finds Some Attendees Admit They Don't Live In The District
Well, if your representitive is not having a town hall meeting, is it wrong to go where there is one? I mean as long as you try to remain civil, after all, you are in other people's district.

Some people may just want to voice their opinion to someone in the US congress, and going all the way to Washington DC may be too far for them to go.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Last night, Rep. Gene Green (D-TX) hosted a rowdy town hall meeting to discuss health care reform. Fox’s local Houston affiliate reporter, Duarte Geraldino (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/health/090803_health_care_meeting - broken link), reported that he talked to the participants and found that “some attendees admit they don’t live in the district.” How did they get there? Geraldino noted “an internet campaign” by far right activists urging their allies to attend and heckle Democratic Representatives. Watch it:

Think Progress » Local Fox Reporter Attends Town Hall And Finds ‘Some Attendees Admit They Don’t Live In The District’
I'm shocked! Just shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
So what if people if people are being bussed to rallies. BFD!

Dems and libs hate when their own tactics are used against them...when Republicans do it, then it's an abuse of democracy!
Funny how I remember the Repubs accusing any size crowd of Obama supporters as having been bussed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Think Progress? And why should we believe anything one of the mouthpieces for the democrat party says?

I wouldn't put it past left-wing nuts to "infiltrate" these town halls pretending to be a protester while saying things they can later be quoted by the liberal media as proof that the insurance companies are behind them.

That is a page from their tired old playbook.
This is a post from a tired old playbook. When the Repubs do something that make themselves look completely riduculous, say they're not really Repubs, they're "left wing plants". LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Most of them are shills for the big pharma and insurance companies who are likely paying for these busses.
You think these guys would ride a bus? They probably don't really know how to act like idiots, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Well, if your representitive is not having a town hall meeting, is it wrong to go where there is one? I mean as long as you try to remain civil, after all, you are in other people's district.

Some people may just want to voice their opinion to someone in the US congress, and going all the way to Washington DC may be too far for them to go.
You make some good points. I think the bolded part is most important.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:35 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Freshman Democratic lawmaker ‘physically assaulted at a local event’ by activists.

As lobbyist-run groups encourage conservative activists to “rattle” members of Congress at local town hall events, Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-VA), the president of the freshman Democratic class has revealed that "at least one freshman Democrat" has already been "physically assaulted at a local event." Connolly warned that conservative groups had taken things to a "dangerous level".

Old 08-05-2009, 09:04 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
So what if protesters don't live there? Is there a constitutional provision that says you can only protest in a specific place?
The point being addressed was that there are rumors that some of the protesters are being paid to go to these town hall meetings to cause disruptions and make it impossible for the meeting to go on. Hopefully you're at least in favor of civil discussions where people can finish a sentence without being booed and yelled at.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:16 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I saw this and I was shocked! Not that the nutcases and the "birthers" came from another district to scream at a Congressman that was not even theirs but because it was a reporter for Faux News that spilled the beans. That reporter will probably be looking for another gig soon! At Faux News, only conservative news is allowed!
Uh, I don't think you read the story. The reporter is not from Fox News. The reporter is from the local Fox station.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Uh, I don't think you read the story. The reporter is not from Fox News. The reporter is from the local Fox station.
That means he works for FOX doesn't it?

Old 08-05-2009, 09:28 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
The crowd was so disrespectful that one frustrated attendee said he had come to the town hall with the intention of giving Rep. Green “a really hard time,” but changed his mind because he was fed up with another man who was “screaming behind my head for the last hour.”

Local Fox Reporter Attends Town Hall And Finds Some Attendees Admit They Don't Live In The District
Don't live in the district? Wonder if they even live in the same state?

Last weekend a pro-Obama healthcare & pro-union rally was held in our state - directed at swaying our elected officials. Featured speakers were National AFL-CIO Secretary-Treasurer Rich Trumka and United Mine Workers President Cecil Roberts.

Fine for them EXCEPT for the fact that some/many of the attendees weren't even from our state.

One lady had on a SEIU shirt (SEIU = Acorn).

Old 08-05-2009, 11:12 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
The point being addressed was that there are rumors that some of the protesters are being paid to go to these town hall meetings to cause disruptions and make it impossible for the meeting to go on. Hopefully you're at least in favor of civil discussions where people can finish a sentence without being booed and yelled at.
I'm all in favor of politeness and decorum, but the Constitution doesn't say anything about that. Unless someone is being directly threatened, screaming is protected language.

Before you get all upset, I felt the same way about Cindy Sheehan and all the anti-war protesters, also. I support ACORN as well, as long as they follow all laws.

I value the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies