Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 03:56 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
The Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution officially abolished and continues to prohibit slavery and involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime. It was adopted on December 6, 1865, and was then declared in a proclamation of Secretary of State William H. Seward on December 18.

Lincoln and others were concerned that the Emancipation Proclamation would be seen as a temporary war measure, and so, besides freeing slaves in those states where slavery was still legal, they supported the Amendment as a means to guarantee the permanent abolition of slavery.

The Thirteenth Amendment is the first of the Reconstruction Amendments.
Is there a possibility that Lincoln included only those states still in rebellion to be the ones that he abolished slaver in to keep the others as supporters for his war? I know that to be true but just wondered what you think. Lincoln wasn't an idiot even if he was the first Republican President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 03:57 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Ladies and Gentlemen I have found the probelm with the healthcare bill!

The bill regarding medical issues is written in Lawyerese! This is like translating Greek to Ebonics and than trying to explain it to someone from England. Put the bill in plain english so that the average joe with a 8th grade education can understand it. I really feel that the reason that so many people (including the politicians) are confused is b/c the damn thing is written by lawyers who manage to make some parts of it seem to have different intepretations....kind of like the bible. How else can you have a woman like Betsy with the bill right in front of her read and interperted totally different than what it was meant. I'm sure that she is not stupid but I don't think that her background is medical law either.

Can anyone tell me how many politicians have a degree in medical law? If so they are the only ones who reallyshould be explaining why there is so much confusing regarding it. Here is a thought.... How about they translate it and explain it to everyone else or to at least explain it to their fellow politicians.

Just a though.....stepping off of soapbox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies