Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 11:39 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchcock View Post
Have you some statistics to back this up?
There are statistics, however that show nearly 40,million without health cover. These statitistics do not include people who have the most basic cover and cannot get full healthcare coverage.
I don't need to provide you with any stats other than your own.
What percent is 40 million of 300million?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 11:43 AM

351 posts, read 375,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I don't need to provide you with any stats other than your own.
What percent is 40 million of 300million?
The 40 million are just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We do not have to have a government run system to affect reforms.
We obviously do as the present system that is monopolised by private companies has failed miserably.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:48 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
The 40 million are just the tip of the iceberg.
Oh, please. This has been clearly disputed. That figure is inaccurate and you know it. There are not 40 M folks in the USA who do not have access to healthcare - and there surely are not 40M folks in the USA who do not have access to healthcare insurance.

It's crap statistics like this which have gotten us legislation which is little more than insurance mandates, when what we need is REFORM.

If the COST of healthcare were addressed, then it really would not be such a big issue about insurance, now would it?

Accessibility and cost are the issues that need addressing.

And get your info straight. Dang.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:57 AM

Then give me stats that show that most American indeed do have adequate health cover.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
We obviously do as the present system that is monopolised by private companies has failed miserably.
How's about enforcing the current regulations on insurance ?
How's about an investigation into insurance regulation at both the state level and the federal level. How did insurance get the way it is today in spite of regulation being in place; health insurance today operates like it's de-regulated. Everyone can get car insurance but not health insurance yet every state has an Insurance Commissioner.

While Congress is doing that ...fixing what is wrong to begin with, expand Medicaid to include those that cannot afford or are refused insurance.

Then Congress can take the time to really "fix" the problem.

This bill is a bandaid to the problem as the underlying problem is not being addressed.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How's about enforcing the current regulations on insurance ?
How's about an investigation into insurance regulation at both the state level and the federal level. How did insurance get the way it is today in spite of regulation being in place; health insurance today operates like it's de-regulated. Everyone can get car insurance but not health insurance yet every state has an Insurance Commissioner.

While Congress is doing that ...fixing what is wrong to begin with, expand Medicaid to include those that cannot afford or are refused insurance.

Then Congress can take the time to really "fix" the problem.

This bill is a bandaid to the problem as the underlying problem is not being addressed.
I completely agree with you.
I just cannot understand the hysteria whenever a different system such as a uhc is proposed.
I have used both systems and i would love a system put in place in America that stopped this lottery that we now have for health cover.
Private insurance companies will not be the way forward as they will never put treatment before profit.
When i used the UHC system it was extremely affordable and extremely efficient for all users. If America could get a system that was for all Americans regardless of their position or wealth, no one would be happier than me or indeed the millions now without a hope of good healthcare.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:08 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh, please. This has been clearly disputed. That figure is inaccurate and you know it. There are not 40 M folks in the USA who do not have access to healthcare - and there surely are not 40M folks in the USA who do not have access to healthcare insurance.
Don't forget that, in that 40 million figure are those in this country Illegally.

Then, there is the percentage of people who, although they CAN afford health insurance, have VOLUNTARILY CHOSEN not to purchase health insurance.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:12 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
I just cannot understand the hysteria whenever a different system such as a uhc is proposed.
I have used both systems and i would love a system put in place in America that stopped this lottery that we now have for health cover.
Private insurance companies will not be the way forward as they will never put treatment before profit.
When i used the UHC system it was extremely affordable and extremely efficient for all users. If America could get a system that was for all Americans regardless of their position or wealth, no one would be happier than me or indeed the millions now without a hope of good healthcare.
And years ago people paid voluntarily (didn't need mandatory deductibles and co-pays) for small bills and insurance companies legitimately provided coverage for hospitals,surgeries and other expensive occurances.

It was a good workable system
Insurance companies have grown to be as they are with the assistance of our government not keeping the lid on decreases in coverage along with increases in premiums.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
But that is not what this bill is proposing. UHC is nothing more than subsidized insurance in this bill. The underlying problem of insurance cost is not addressed.

Look at Mass. and their version of UHC over the past 3 years. It's failed and they are in the hole $1.3 billion. Waiting rooms are overflowing and they are short staff. And even with a requirement or fine for their insurance there are still people that have not signed up.

In Mass. insurance costs under this plan went up over 12% and this was on the cost that people paid. Now they are looking at cuts to the plan after just 3 years and those cuts are to the poor, the very people who need this type of plan.

Massachusetts Makes Cuts to Universal Health Plan - Health Blog - WSJ

The Massachusetts Health Mess - WSJ.com

Here's an overview of it's plan..similar to what Congress wants:
Massachusetts health care reform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With a similar plan in place for 3 years and not working, why on earth is Congress marching forward with this on a national level ? Do they want every state to turn into Mass. after 1-2 years ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies