Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the health care protests getting out of hand?
Yes 42 53.16%
No 34 43.04%
Maybe 3 3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:29 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,844,527 times

Advertisements

[quote=Perkins Well;10161859]Yes.

Quote:
What really bothers me is how reporters have been covering these town hall meetings.

How come reporters aren't bringing up the fact that lobbying firms like Dick Armey's FreedomWorks that represent pharmaceutical companies and life insurance companies are sending these protesters to the town hall meetings.
Where have you been? How are you aware of this? Could it be that the media actually is covering it?

Quote:
Most of these protesters don't even realize they are simply pawns for people like Armey and those that run the pharmaceutical & insurance game.
A pawn of the big pharmaceutical and insurance industry in the movement to defeat this healthcare bill?
Where do they need me?!

Quote:
Those on the right may claim everyone on the left are just a bunch of sheep, but they fail to realize that they are doing to dirty work for millionaires.
Ahh yes, Class warfare! The lib talking points are definitely working on you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Ordinarily, I like it when people protest something, simply because it (usually) shows that people care, and there's enough apathy in the world.

But from what I've read and from what I've seen about the current wave of protests at town hall meetings, I felt compelled to answer "yes", they are getting out of hand.

There are many aspects of the protests I dislike, but the kicker for me is that I don't see any indication that the people doing the protesting truly know what it is that they are protesting.

There was one video clip with a bunch of seniors yelling that they didn't want the government taking over health care. Disregarding my belief that H.R. 3200 does NOT mean government-run health care, don't these seniors know enough about the current state of health care to understand that Medicare is government-run health care?

I'm all in favor of protest, but informed protest. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of noise.
Exactly!!

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
yeah, you know, you can always say something like that.

"the other side would do it just as badly"

i've been guilty of the same thing, i will be the first to admit.

but wouldn't it be nice if people could just defend or not defend their side's actions on their own terms, instead of talking about what the other side would hypothetically do?

also i like how ACORN has become this nefarious all-powerful organization doing the bidding of obama. that's pretty funny.
It will continue to be this was as long as people take an "us vs them" approach to politics.

Liberal = Democrats, Conservatives = Republicans, Right vs Wrong. Their reptilian brains can't function at a higher level than that.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:37 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times
Quote:
saying you don't like what someone is doing is not in any way restricting their freedom of speech.

freedom of speech is not freedom to speak without criticism.

i think the town hall protestors have a right to do what they're doing, and it would be great if they were just civilly making their points, but all this yelling over people and chanting slogans is achieving nothing but suppression of the other side's opinion. so yes, i think they've "gotten out of hand".

They implied these people are paid, where's the proof beside random accusations.

Have to love how it's alright for Liberals to yell at conservatives, remember Rumsfield being harassed going to a dinner. Yet when people who object to this health care system have a passion for their cause now it's a mob and chanting. I'm glad they have the balls to stand up to this BS unlike yourself.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:42 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,075,557 times
Absolutely not!!! It is so infuriating and disgusting that those on the left want to deny rights to anyone that doesn't agree with them. These are the same people that cheered on that lunatic Cindy Sheehan and thought the Code Pink interruptions were just fine.

The thug that's in the White House is disgraceful - his background as a community organizer has come to the forefront and he is deliberately inciting violence, hatred and racism. That's his playbook - Rules for Radicals - and he's in his element as an agitator.

He's a professional bully who is using ACORN and union members to intimidate average American citizens that are simply speaking their minds. They're not "organized", they're not "an unruly mob". They are in disagreement with Obama's agenda and have every right to do so.

It's simply unbelievable that any American can look at his actions and not see how wrong they are, to say nothing of illegal. Wake up and really see what this could lead to. When freedoms disappear they will disappear for all of us, not just the right.

I am ashamed to have him as President - he is a disgrace and an insult to the office.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:43 PM

398 posts, read 819,044 times
As an old Viet Nam protester, I do not think the people are nearly out of hand yet! It just makes me happy to see that it is an older, more run of the mill type of crowd. This time protests can not be blamed on young, dirty, hippies! To use an old expression: power to the people.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:45 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trillion View Post
I voted yes. These protest have become nothing more than disruptions. They merely foster resentment and make reasonable debate on the issue of health care reform impossible. The republican party needs to spend more time outlining a counter proposal to Obama's health care reform bill and less time trumpeting this fairytale about having "the best health care system in the world" that should be left alone.
The Republicans are working on a counter proposal. In fact, there has been a bipartisan effort started by the Republicans to do this. However, the Republicans realize that such an effort requires time and they won't just push a haphazard poorly written bill with many loopholes like the one that exists in the House.

Furthermore, it's disingenuous by the Democrats to dismiss these protests as being manufactures. From what I've seen there are real people there with real concerns. It seems like poor strategy by the White House to belittle those people. Instead, why don't they try to address these concerns. Why doens't the President spend more time addressing these concerns that mocking those people and asking the public to forward e-mails and websites.

I voted "NO" This is America, people have emotions and opinions. It's easy to dismiss an opinon as being volatile or mere "shouting" when you don't agree with it. I find it hypocritical on the Democrats part because Town Hall meetings and grass roots movements are tools they have used in the past. Now when those tools are being used against them, they protest these very same mechanisms of protest. It's sad. They are criticizing the rules when they are losing the game.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badland wonder View Post
As an old Viet Nam protester, I do not think the people are nearly out of hand yet! It just makes me happy to see that it is an older, more run of the mill type of crowd. This time protests can not be blamed on young, dirty, hippies! To use an old expression: power to the people.
You know, while I agree with "power to the people" and understand the importance of the Viet Nam protesters, I am a little ashamed that people turn to this type of action over something that is, at it's core, meant to help the entire country. It's not like we are sending people off to die, quite the opposite. I think RATIONAL discussion is needed so the problems can be identified and rectified. What we are doing now isn't getting us anywhere and there is no "war" expect in the minds of certain individuals.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The Republicans are working on a counter proposal. In fact, there has been a bipartisan effort started by the Republicans to do this. However, the Republicans realize that such an effort requires time and they won't just push a haphazard poorly written bill with many loopholes like the one that exists in the House.

Furthermore, it's disingenuous by the Democrats to dismiss these protests as being manufactures. From what I've seen there are real people there with real concerns. It seems like poor strategy by the White House to belittle those people. Instead, why don't they try to address these concerns. Why doens't the President spend more time addressing these concerns that mocking those people and asking the public to forward e-mails and websites.
I understand their CONCERNS are real, but when they are based on misinformation how can those fears be elevated? When someone tried to explain in one meeting he was shouted down with "I don't believe you!". How do you deal with mindsets like that?

And btw, The President hasn't MOCKED anyone so why the hell would you say that? Be honest.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:54 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,844,527 times
Quote:
yeah, you know, you can always say something like that.

"the other side would do it just as badly"

i've been guilty of the same thing, i will be the first to admit.

but wouldn't it be nice if people could just defend or not defend their side's actions on their own terms, instead of talking about what the other side would hypothetically do? if the left are the scum that some people on this forum make them out to be, why would you want to stoop to our level?

also i like how ACORN has become this nefarious all-powerful organization doing the bidding of obama wherever necessary. that's pretty funny.
The problem is that these politicians know that HR3200 popped up out of nowhere, they know that they have not had the time to read it and/or debate it, and they know that the American public has been blindsided by it.
Still they stand up there and say we need this, so just go along and all will be well.
What on Earth do they expect?

From my experience as a fairly up to date person, politically speaking. This bill all of a sudden appeared and two days later Obama was up there declaring "this bill will get passed before recess!" which was like 2 and half weeks away.
I am dumbfounded that any intelligent person would be alright with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies