Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 07:26 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin
has laid pretty low since resigning.

But on her Facebook page, Palin
suggested Friday that President

Obama's health care plan might kill her child.
Via Talking Points Memo:

Palin: Obama's "Death Panel" Could Kill My Down Syndrome Baby

I knew it was just a matter of time before this nutjob would chime in...
And Sarah wants to sue some blogger who wrote that she is getting a divorce!

Old 08-08-2009, 07:28 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Have you read the bill? I have.
No, you absolutely have not; otherwise, you wouldn't be peddling the crap you are peddling.

But feel free to search through my posts on other threads where I've discussed actual lines of the health care bill after reading and researching.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:31 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,163 times
Didn't you get the memo? As long as you provide a link, no matter how dubious or specious the material the link(s) point to may be, you win the argument. Get with the program!

Sometimes I wonder how people interact with other people in real life without demanding links and citations for everything that is discussed. News flash - it's just as easy to be wrong on the internet as it is in real life.

When I go to Sunday breakfast with my friends, we many times discuss politics (both lefties and righties among us) and no one whips out magazines, newspapers, textbooks or Google search on electronic devices to back up their experiences or opinions.

We are having an informal online discussion. We aren't setting policy here, running for office, or writing textbooks or theses. We don't even expect politicians to do it when they participate in debates, yet for some reason, a goodly amount of people online seem to get awfully hung up on it. Perhaps it's a pre-emptive way of creating/preserving the "truthiness" of one's own arguments? I dunno, but it is interesting.

Yes, citation is a good thing, and I'm not against it, by any means - I do it occasionally too - but let's not get obsessed by it or start to think that simply providing a link trumps all other argumentation.

And don't be silly enough to demand links for personal anecdotes or I will assume you are interested in a one-sided conversation and you will end up on ignore, and you can have your one-sided discussion - alone. I will happily let you.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:33 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Didn't you get the memo? As long as you provide a link, no matter how dubious or specious the material the link(s) point to may be, you win the argument. Get with the program!

Sometimes I wonder how people interact with other people in real life without demanding links and citations for everything that is discussed. News flash - it's just as easy to be wrong on the internet as it is in real life.

When I go to Sunday breakfast with my friends, we many times discuss politics (both lefties and righties among us) and no one is whips out magazines, newspapers, textbooks or Google search on electronic devices.

We are having an informal online discussion. We aren't setting policy here, running for office, or writing textbooks or theses. We don't even expect politicians to do it when they participate in debates, yet for some reason, a goodly amount of people online seem to get awfully hung up on it. Perhaps it's a preventative way of creating/preserving the "truthiness" of one's own arguments? I dunno, but it is interesting.

Yes, citation is a good thing, and I'm not against it, by any means - I do it occasionally too - but let's not get obsessed by it or start to think that simply providing a link trumps all other argumentation.

And don't be silly enough to demand links for personal anecdotes or I will assume you are interested in a one-sided conversation and you will end up on ignore, and you can have your one-sided discussion - alone. I will let you.
God bless each and everyone of you.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:39 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Atizar is being sarcastic.
oh, okay sorry -- sorry atizar

(I removed my post because I thought the thread was about ended.)

Old 08-08-2009, 07:40 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
I believe that citations are very important here. I have learned a lot from citations and links. They add to the discussion. The legitimacy of the link also bears weight on the assertion of the poster. Without link and citations, this forum could turn into a mountain of misinformation.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
oh, okay sorry -- sorry atizar

(I removed my post because I thought the thread was about ended.)
No I wasn't. Not ever, in this Universe!

I share the vast majority of your positions and you are one of my favorite posters!

Sorry for the confusion - I rely on sarcasm a bit too much these days. I think right now it's just become a placeholder for the eventual throwing of my hands in the air and logging out of this site permanently. Not something to be proud of, I suppose.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:45 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I believe that citations are very important here. I have learned a lot from citations and links. They add to the discussion. The legitimacy of the link also bears weight on the assertion of the poster. Without link and citations, this forum could turn into a mountain of misinformation.
So true and the whole point of this thread really. Palin is always an unreliable source, a pure propagandist, but perhaps people are finally starting to see that, hence the lack of Palinphiles on this thread. Hopefully they are starting to get it, though I have my doubts.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Yes, and I touched upon this towards the end of my post. I agree, but I also dislike it when people use citation as a weapon - that was the point I was trying to make - that the content behind the link is what's important - not just the fact that you provided a link.

My secondary point was that asking for citation for personal experience is silly avenue to go down.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:00 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
they are not described as deathpanels or euthanasia. it is called end of life counciling i believe. that was how the Mom explained it.if you really need to know go research it yourself
Yes, and doctors everywhere support it. They think that people should be able to decide how they would like to die: whether they want DNR or not, whether they wish to designate someone in particular as a health proxy (to make health decisions on their behalf if they are not able to do so), etc. It's also optional--do you know what that means? That means that it's a voluntary benefit that a person can choose to use--or not. Those who choose to use it will have it paid for under the health plan.

And stop blaming Obama for it. The end of life counseling clause was introduced by a REPUBLICAN senator: Johnny Isakson of Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies