Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 02:35 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally posted by Wapasha
Why did Bill Clinton's mentor, Senator J. William Fulbright, stay a democrat?
Why did Den. Byrd, a former Cyclops in the KKK, remain in the democratic party, why was he the Majority Leader for so many years?
Why did Sen. Al Gore, Sr vote against the [Civil Rights Act of 1964?
Why are you asking me? How should I know? I never met them. Could be the same reason Olympia Snowe is still a Republican: It's just personal preference.

Quote:
Sure, damn an entire political party for a handful of bigots? Take my above statements, and I could use your logic and damn the entire Democratic Party.
Did I? Because I think I said "No, not all Republicans are racist" What I meant by that was that "not all Republicans are racist" I hope I clarified that for you.

At the same time, there was an interest in bringing southern white racists into the GOP, as quoted by Nixon strategist Kevin Phillips:

Quote:
From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats.

Boyd, James (May 17, 1970). "Nixon's Southern strategy: 'It's All in the Charts'". The New York Times. pp. 215.
The part bolded tells me there was an interest from the top of the GOP (Nixon's campaign) to at least welcome southern "negrophobe" whites into the fold. Now while not all of the GOP was in on this, the southern strategy was instrumental enough in the Southernisation of the party, and to make the southern wing the most dominant part of the party.

Quote:
In the end you have proven exactly what i have been saying, a person's political affiliation has nothing to do with whether or not they engage in racial bigotry. You can be a member of either party and still be a bigot.
I'm not contradicting that. I told shorebaby that "It cuts both ways". What I meant by that was that racism in politics "cuts both ways". Clear?

Quote:
If you you make blatantly racist comments, are a democrat, the democratic party voters will always forgive you, the liberal news media will always provide you cover, offer excuses to explain it all away, and accept any paltry excuse of an apology and move on.
If Democrats made racist comments, the fairly strong conservative media would tear them to shreds. The liberal media excuse might have worked twenty years ago, but not today.

Quote:
On the other hand, if you are a republican, the voters will demand an apology, and most likely your resignation, the news media will hound you, label you and the the entire republican party as systemically racist
As it should be--except the blanket labeling of Republicans.

Disclaimer: I do not think all Republicans are racist. I also do not think all southern whites are racist. Just putting that out there.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:40 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
.... but unfortunately all Bigots and racist are Republicans. which is why I'll never stand with them.
With due respect - there are so many Democrats who are, in fact, bigots and racists -

The assertion that only Republicans are racists and bigots is, in of itself, bigoted.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:41 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Now I'm shaken in my boots
Is Obama's "Mentor", Reverend Wright a Republican??

Old 08-08-2009, 03:58 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,662,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am a southern white male BUT I am a rare southern white male in the fact that I have certain attributes that many southern white males lack- such as a BRAIN.
This may be due to the fact that I am not from here although my home state of Kansas is not exactly a thinkers paradise either. At one time in Kansas my home did have wheels on it but not here.
I have noticed that most of those around me are also from elsewhere and we have brought the average IQ of the south up several points. While the southern man is in church playing with snakes on Sunday, we are headed to Stone Mountain to BBQ!
Check out the map of IQs by state:

Many Eyes: IQ By State

Keep in mind the racial makeup of each state.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:03 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Also, there are racist in many parts of Europe and in Asia and I'm positive they aren't registered Republicans.
I can register them for 500 euros each.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:08 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,827,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Sorry, but that comment is ignorant and offensive. So of all the racists and bigots in the world, every single one of them is a Republican? If you believe that you need to seek a mental health professional immediately.

Is Lewis Farrakhan a Republican, because he sure as hell is a racist and a bigot, just to name one example. Remeber all the southern politicians who supported racism and Jim Crow....ALL DEMOCRATS.
lmoooooooooooooo and guess what they became CONSERVATIVE republicans, you MAD!

blacks slowly and some other white pro civil rights democrats infiltrated the party.

why is it stupid republicans have a long term memory of other things but have a A.D.D when it comes to current situations

blacks use to, USE TO be heavily republican now ask your bias a55 why? why was there a party change.

KEVIN PHILIPS, he did not originate it, but merely popularized it.In an interview included in a 1970 New York Times article, he touched on its essence: From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrat

PARTIES DONT RUN themselves, people run parties and those people were white just like you and conservative

CONSERVATIVE DEMOCRATS RAN THE SOUTH FOR DECADES

Old 08-08-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Is Obama's "Mentor", Reverend Wright a Republican??
what did wright say that was racist?

saying US of kkk isnt a racist statement, and what he said was actual fact, you dont like it too bad

Old 08-08-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
With due respect - there are so many Democrats who are, in fact, bigots and racists -

The assertion that only Republicans are racists and bigots is, in of itself, bigoted.

true but they are forced to deal with issues of blacks because we are a large voting bloc, when the democrats were yellow dogs and conservative forget iy, one reason i believe the current oldest senator didnt change parties is because he'd lose his seat if he changed parties..

or he simply had to chage with the times but still F* him

Old 08-08-2009, 04:14 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,410,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
what did wright say that was racist?

saying US of kkk isnt a racist statement, and what he said was actual fact, you dont like it too bad
You're kidding right? Have you not read his rants?

Old 08-08-2009, 04:15 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'm an urban Republican.

But I don't really care for Sarah Palin.
What do you mean, "But"?

If you're not rural, you got no business looking at Sarah's butt. It's reserved for RURAL Republicans.

Urban Republicans can go for the long flat butt, like Laura Bushes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies