Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:59 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Right! This poster is looking at the Billions the insurance companies make while ignoring the trillions socialized medicine will cost. Truly weird logic.
Stop lying. Stop twisting. Logic indeed.

We already spend trillions on healthcare. What the OP is referring to is profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 01:59 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,053,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
You're already paying for other people's healthcare. Who do you think pays for those ER visits from people without insurance? Who do you think pays for people who stiff the hospital? You and I do. In the form of higher premiums.
in addition to all the illegals that go to ERs for the sniffles and sore throats.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:00 PM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Don't forget that Obama estimates the cost of Medicare reform at $800 billion to $1 trillion over the next decade, some of which can be financed by cutting "inefficiencies".

Old 08-11-2009, 02:38 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone thinks the current system doesn't need work but how about we insure those who don't have insurance and leave the rest of us alone?
-How do you plan on insurance companies keeping those who have insurance today but deny coverage at an opportune time?
-How do you plan on reducing hundreds of billions of dollars in waste as it exists today? Or is that a non-issue?
-How do you plan on paying for insuring those without coverage today (other than how it is going to be under the reform bill)?

Now I will pull up my arm chair, and wait for you to join in.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:59 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot05 View Post
So my money either goes to a health care provider or the federal govt?

I'm paying for my health care right now, just mine. With UHC, I pay for other people's health care as well. Hm... which one will I choose.

Do you think that your health care premiums that you pay an insurance company go into some private fund at their company to only pay for your care?

Hell no, it goes in the pile with the rest of the money to pay for EVERYONE that files a claims health care.

So, by paying insurance premiums are you not only paying for your own care, you are paying for all the other insured health care as well.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:01 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone thinks the current system doesn't need work but how about we insure those who don't have insurance and leave the rest of us alone?

Uh, you have the choice not to participate. You do know that, right? If you have Blue Cross, you can keep that coverage and have nothing to do with the government plan and be left alone.

On the other hand, if you find that the government plan is better than what you have, you can choose that one.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:06 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:

We already spend trillions on healthcare. What the OP is referring to is profit.

Yes my good friend those trillions we spend will not go away however some would like to remove the billions of insurance company profits and replace it with the Trillion the CBO estimates this monstrosity will cost. You see trillion is bigger than billion. So you remove billions in profit and replace with a trillion in cost of the new plan. Not such a good idea.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:08 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Uh, you have the choice not to participate. You do know that, right? If you have Blue Cross, you can keep that coverage and have nothing to do with the government plan and be left alone.

On the other hand, if you find that the government plan is better than what you have, you can choose that one.
No, all plans will come under stricter federal regulation after 5 years. Also a public option will squeeze out private insurance. they can operate in the red forever, private insurance cannot.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:09 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,310,577 times
Quote:

How much does the government generate in revenue from those billions in profit? Assume 35% rate. Who is going to make up the difference?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:19 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
How much does the government generate in revenue from those billions in profit? Assume 35% rate. Who is going to make up the difference?
35%? Where did you get that from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies