Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:08 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
The fact you see a company's profits a 'your money' is telling and frankly very distrubing.
So who's money is making the Insurance company CEO's extremely rich with their excessively high premiums?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 10:35 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Health care does not profit much in comparison to other industries. Once you get on the link, click the list to enlarge it.

CARPE DIEM: Profit Margin: Health Insurance Industry Ranks #86
Well, there you go, the facts. From your link:

President Obama: There have been reports just over the last couple of days of insurance companies making record profits, right now," Obama said during a prime-time news conference...

Reality Check: As the table above of Profit Margins by Industry shows (click to enlarge, data here for the most recent quarter), the industry "Health Care Plans" ranks #86 by profit margin (profits/revenue) at 3.3%. Measured by profit margin, there are 85 industries more profitable than Health Care Plans (included Cigna, Aetna, WellPoint, HealthSpring, etc.).

I notice cigerattes companies at the top of the lists in profit margins however - somewhere, somehow, there is some strange irony to this to propents of government UHC who use insurance health care profit margins as a reason.

Another company on the top of the list? Pharmecuetical companies. What will the proposed plan not address? Pharmecuetical companies. Incidently they are all on board with UHC, I wonder why?

Last edited by Dd714; 08-13-2009 at 10:46 AM..

Old 08-13-2009, 10:49 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
So who's money is making the Insurance company CEO's extremely rich with their excessively high premiums?
'Who's money'? The company's of course. When you exchange money for a product or service your money becomes the seller's money. You no longer have any input on how the seller uses that money.

And would you mind defining 'excessively high premiums'?

Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,685,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Imagine if those billions of dollars actually were spent on health care. I never understood the argument that for-profit private insurance companies cost less than UHC. Anyone care to defend that position with reason and facts instead of scare tactics?
What makes you think that this money will be spent on health care? What makes you think it won't be eaten up by a bloated UHC bureaucracy or siphoned towards a different governmental project?

We already have some forms of government-funded healthcare in this country. My own experience with them has been horrendous -- namely, special education and school districts. My autistic son was recently denied the services he needs. The school district where we live actually denies all claims automatically, so the only way to get any services is to sue; since very few people can afford to sue, it's actually the poor who get the short end of the stick. My son's case was evaluated at the district by a standard "child study team" of about 16 people, half of them "supervisors", who really didn't do anything. From the beginning, they treated our family with outright vicious hostility, and that's the standard treatment that autism families get. Why? Because these government plutocrats see the children as their competitors for the piece of the pie. If they give out too many services, nothing will be left in the budget to give themselves raises, bonuses, and various perks (including chauffeurs). If the state needs to tighten the belt, hell if they'll freeze their own salaries before slashing the children's services down to nothing first. According to some estimates, something like 90 cents on the dollar of the funds given out to special education is swallowed up by the administration.

I fear that UHC will be the same -- that my taxes will go through the roof, and I won't get anything for it.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:49 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
35%? Where did you get that from?

sec.gov

Old 08-14-2009, 09:16 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I would have thought you'd choose the one that was more efficient, less expensive, less discriminatory, National coverage, has cover 24 hours a day 365 days of the year all of your life, covers every American citizen and puts the money you pay back into the health system you use.
Sounds like the UHC would be the intelligent bet......
Sure...if you can find doctors who will take the govt insurance. Wait in line some more.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:01 PM

615 posts, read 1,693,521 times
I find it really funny/ironic that so many people will trust insurance companies but have this morbid fear of the government. Is the US government that bad?

Insurance companies RUN this country, and that scares me to death.

Edited to add: And I don't mean funny in a good way. Just to clarify because I know that some people will take my words and twist them.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:48 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Dressage: you haven't been made to jump through the govt healthcare loops and wind up on the other said with less compensation.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:20 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
I find it really funny/ironic that so many people will trust insurance companies but have this morbid fear of the government. Is the US government that bad?

Insurance companies RUN this country, and that scares me to death.

Edited to add: And I don't mean funny in a good way. Just to clarify because I know that some people will take my words and twist them.
Part of the reason is choice. If you don't like the job one insurance company does, you can leave, go use a different insurance provider. If you don't like what the government option offers a few years from now, will you be able to choose another company? Likely not.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:24 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Default Why are people worried about the cost of UHC?

because it's a reasonable concern. Anytime the government proposes something I think:how much is it going to cost, where is the money coming from and who does it benefit.

The people who aren't asking any questions about UHC are the ones who worry me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies