Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 03:48 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm don't know the exact quote, but I remember Obama saying something like, "I'm not going to run the car companies, we don't know anything about cars." Something to that effect.

They bailed them out, and told them they had to fire the CEO that helped drive them to ruin. GM seems to be doing well, and I think things will be fine.
Wrong. This CEO was the one that was rebuilding GM's product line in quality and fuel efficiency. It was the CEOs of the 70s, 80s, and 90s that were the problem that led to poor build quality and ruined reputation of the brands. This CEO helped to bring about better products like the Caddy CTS, Chevy Malibu, and the upcoming Volt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 03:52 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Prior to Obama taking over General Motors, most enviromentalist and some liberal snobs hated General Motors because of their poor fuel economy (enviromentalist) or poor build quality (liberal snobs). But now that Obama has taken over GM I seem to be hearing some of these same people saying we must buy GM products now. I was happy with the direction GM was going, product wise, before the government take over of GM. Their vehicles were getting better and better in both quality and fuel economy. Though the vehicles haven't changed, all of a sudden those same people want people to buy GM products when before they would burn Hummers on the dealership lots. Any new GM vehicle you see within the next 5 years will be vehicles that were in the process of being made prior to the government take over.

So, do you support GM enough to buy their vehicles or do you want others to buy their products while you continue to buy German and Japanese vehicles?
below are all the vehicles I've ever owned
1978 Chevrolet Camaro
1984 Buick Skyhawk
1994 Chevrolet Cavalier RS sedan
2003 Chevrolet Malibu
You don't hear me saying that. I think GM and Ford both did immense damage to the country by getting us addicted to the Arabs oil teet. Every soldier that dies over there, every fireman and cop that died on 9-11 are the fault of GM and Ford. Add to that the lack of reliability and dependency and I will always be faithful to Honda. They have treated me much better than Ford ever did when we had an Expedition.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:55 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Quote:
Prior to Obama taking over General Motors, most enviromentalist and some liberal snobs hated General Motors because of their poor fuel economy (enviromentalist) or poor build quality (liberal snobs). But now that Obama has taken over GM I seem to be hearing some of these same people saying we must buy GM products now. I was happy with the direction GM was going, product wise, before the government take over of GM. Their vehicles were getting better and better in both quality and fuel economy. Though the vehicles haven't changed, all of a sudden those same people want people to buy GM products when before they would burn Hummers on the dealership lots. Any new GM vehicle you see within the next 5 years will be vehicles that were in the process of being made prior to the government take over.

So, do you support GM enough to buy their vehicles or do you want others to buy their products while you continue to buy German and Japanese vehicles?
below are all the vehicles I've ever owned
1978 Chevrolet Camaro
1984 Buick Skyhawk
1994 Chevrolet Cavalier RS sedan
2003 Chevrolet Malibu
I don't buy GM cars because they are poor quality and don't provide the features I want. The government bailout hasn't fixed either of those problems. Let's see what this Volt looks like.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:56 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Wrong. This CEO was the one that was rebuilding GM's product line in quality and fuel efficiency. It was the CEOs of the 70s, 80s, and 90s that were the problem that led to poor build quality and ruined reputation of the brands. This CEO helped to bring about better products like the Caddy CTS, Chevy Malibu, and the upcoming Volt.
Um, thats like saying he grabbed a water hose when the house caught fire. If he were a good CEO, he would have read the writing on the wall before things got bad. He didn't, he deserved to be fired.

Ford was in just as bad a shape as GM, yet they are doing well, and didn't need government money.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:56 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
I love my Toyota & I loved the Toyota I had before this one.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:02 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
I used to own a Saturn. As soon as the Affirmative Action President took over GM (which now stands for Government Malfeasance) I got rid of my Saturn and bought a Toyota. I will never even consider buying another GM vehicle, ever.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Um, thats like saying he grabbed a water hose when the house caught fire. If he were a good CEO, he would have read the writing on the wall before things got bad. He didn't, he deserved to be fired.

Ford was in just as bad a shape as GM, yet they are doing well, and didn't need government money.
Spoken like someone who doesn't know the auto industry. R&D for vehicles takes several years before the car is put on the sales lot. Until gas went up to the $4 a gallon mark, GM and Chrysler was doing OK. Unlike Chrysler, GM had better built cars either on the lot or in production like the Volt.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I used to own a Saturn. As soon as the Affirmative Action President took over GM (which now stands for Government Malfeasance) I got rid of my Saturn and bought a Toyota. I will never even consider buying another GM vehicle, ever.
My mom and dad bought a 2007 Saturn Aura. They loved the ride and the styling. Only problem is my dad has to regularly remind my mom to slow down. It's pretty quick but doesn't feel fast even though she's driving faster. If they ever want the latest version of the Saturn Aura then they'll have to go check the 2010 Buick Lacross. Exterior is OK, interior is fantastic, performance is very good. Another good vehicle planned and designed prior to government takeover

Old 08-11-2009, 04:14 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,904,049 times
Rick Wagoner
He became president and chief executive officer in June 2000 (eight years not enough?)
Under Wagoner's leadership, GM suffered more than $85 billion in losses.

The EV1 program was subsequently discontinued in 2002.

Hmm, I'm sure Rick had nothing do with discontinuing the EV1.
Oh wait.

In late 2003, General Motors, then led by CEO Rick Wagoner, officially canceled the EV1 program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Wagoner
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle

Old 08-11-2009, 04:14 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Spoken like someone who doesn't know the auto industry. R&D for vehicles takes several years before the car is put on the sales lot. Until gas went up to the $4 a gallon mark, GM and Chrysler was doing OK.
That is why you are not paid in millions, and those who are, deserved to be fired. Ford is in slightly better situation than GM for that reason, but not nearly as good as likes of Honda, Nissan ,Toyota and even Hyundai. Their management had the vision lacking at GM and Chrysler (over the years) and to a lesser extent at Ford. No wonder, they deserved to be gone, for the sake of this country and millions whose livelihood depended on it.

If it were simply a matter of flipping the switch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies