Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:58 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Oh it's not a secret, I've mentioned it on here before, I work for the city of milwaukee. There are different plans that you can sign up for, I chose the plan that is free. I've never had a problem w/it, no problem seeing doctors, no hassles, etc. My friend who is married w/2 children, her husband works for the city as well & I think they use the same plan as me. I actually don't know what the other plans are or how much a month they are. I do pay for my dental though, which I think is around $45./month.
Sounds good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 10:17 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Sounds good.
It is! It's also something that keeps people working for the city. I'd like to some day start my own business but the issue of health insurance is always something that worries me if I ever quit the city.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:13 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
It is! It's also something that keeps people working for the city. I'd like to some day start my own business but the issue of health insurance is always something that worries me if I ever quit the city.
And that's why this whole health insurance tied to employment system we have is so stupid and outdated.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:53 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It is worth mention because many people DO think "government workers" means anyone from the President down to the file clerk in an office somewhere.

I don't know of very many people in any job who get FREE health insurance. The company I worked for used to offer one plan free to the employee only, but charged extra for spouse/family. That was 20 years ago and today even the employee has to pay something.

I can't even begin to know what kind of reform is best for us, but I know nothing is FREE. It's either paid by an employer or paid by the individual in the form of premiums or taxes. And whatever happens I would like to make sure that everyone who earns money is somehow financially invested in whatever insurance program they have.
When I worked for a large city, I got free health care and I was just a measly clerk. All I had to pay were 10 dollar co-payments for doctors visits, 5 dollars for medications, and 50 dollar ER visits.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:27 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
It looks like the government free health care gravy train is coming to an end for Hill staffers:

Sen. Ron Johnson to sue over Obamacare's special treatment for staffers - Washington Times

Quote:
But the senator’s view is that the OPM policy forces him to abide by something he sees as illegal, which gives him standing to pursue the suit, Politico reported. The senator also said through his aide that the rule gives him special treatment over his constituents — which he views as unlawful.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:51 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
I think when people say "government workers" in this case, they actually do mean people like the president and congress who do get their coverage for free!
It's my understanding that Congress pays a percentage of the cost of insurance, about 25%. The president is covered under the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies