Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 05:09 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,479,557 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Why We Need Government-Run Universal Socialized Health Insurance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 06:43 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times
So simple, a caveman could understand it.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:50 PM

I received this in an email recently from a friend of a friend. It kind of puts a face that no one wants to see on the healthcare debate. It's not all about people wanting to get over as some would like you to believe.

"We are the Picture of Health

To the outside world, we are the picture of health. We are the picture of happy middleclassdom. My two children are happy, successful at school and involved in extracurricular activities. They have no health insurance. I make too much to qualify for kidcare programs, but not enough to pay the additional cost for their coverage. Both are extremely healthy. But when they want to play sports or go on field trips, I photocopy health insurance cards from former coverage that they had so that they can participate.

Two years ago I became concerned that I may have a neuromuscular disease. Having recently relocated following the death of my husband, I was in a job that I knew would not be long term. I did not seek medical treatment, terrified that I would be branded as having a pre-existing condition once I changed jobs. I changed careers in midlife and began working for a company that went out of business seven months later. To my surprise and delight, I quickly found another job, one that I loved, never missing a week’s pay.

Twelve weeks into my new job, I was brought into the manager’s office. I was given an unexpected 5% raise, being told “I couldn’t have done it without you.” Not four weeks later, I have just been told that I am being laid off. Nine people have been laid off since I was hired. Until recently, I have addressed my medical concerns with online information. I have only just begun seeking professional help for my health concerns, as they have worsened. And now, in two weeks, I will have no job. No income.

The last time that I was eligible for COBRA, several years ago, the cost was in excess of $800 per month. I haven’t yet heard what my existing coverage will cost. I have no idea what I will do. I want a national health care plan because I need to be healthy to take care of my kids. It is just us. I have worked since I was 15 and never needed help. And now I don’t know what I will do or how we will make it.

We are your neighbors that bring hot meals to you when you are sick. We are involved in our community. My son was a counselor at your child’s vacation bible school. He walks your dog when you are away. I am a carpool mom. And I am scared that for want of health care coverage, we will lose it all. Our home, to be sure, but so much more. I will lose the ability to be productive. My kids will lose the ability to be kids, but will instead likely become caregivers if I don’t get the help that I need.

The healthcare crisis has now become personal. America stands to lose a family that has contributed to this country for generations. And most important to me, my kids stand to lose their shot at being given the opportunity to become the very best that they can be.

Please think of my family when you think about national health care. We are you. And you are one bump in the road from becoming us."

Old 08-27-2009, 07:09 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
No one is saying heath care doesn't need to be reformed. All those opposed to socialized medicine are saying is that government cannot reun health care well or efficiently. Of those items listed as government services they do very few well. Our educational system is in worse shape than our health system and our postal system is on the verge of collapse. Hardly examples of things we want more of.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
No one is saying heath care doesn't need to be reformed. All those opposed to socialized medicine are saying is that government cannot reun health care well or efficiently.
Your assertion doesn't hold water because medicaire/medicaide and the VA operate effeciently(more effeciently than the private industry as easily depicted by the video). A government option wont take anything away from people who dont want it.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:51 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Your assertion doesn't hold water because medicaire/medicaide and the VA operate effeciently(more effeciently than the private industry as easily depicted by the video). A government option wont take anything away from people who dont want it.
Are you on medicare, do you use the VA? If not I suggest that you do before you speak again.... I use both and they both suck...

Old 08-28-2009, 09:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Please remember the Post Office is a privately owned since Ronnie Raygun.

The government may be inept but private insurers are inimical. The government can forget you but the private insurers will take your money for years and dump you if you need their help.

Tank1906 is in deep doo doo and I cannot think of any way to help but to federalize the entire health insurance system so everyone, regardless of financial condition, gets the same service. Congress critters are not so much better than the rest of us that they should be so privileged.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Are you on medicare, do you use the VA? If not I suggest that you do before you speak again.... I use both and they both suck...
No, but people in my immediate family do and they are thankful for those benefits. One family Vet just had a major surgery and is recovering. Without this "socialized medicine" he'd never have had the surgery and would never walk.

Think about your situation. You said you use both. What would you do without them?

Old 08-28-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Please remember the Post Office is a privately owned since Ronnie Raygun.

The government may be inept but private insurers are inimical. The government can forget you but the private insurers will take your money for years and dump you if you need their help.

Tank1906 is in deep doo doo and I cannot think of any way to help but to federalize the entire health insurance system so everyone, regardless of financial condition, gets the same service. Congress critters are not so much better than the rest of us that they should be so privileged.
I'm not in deep doo-doo. I have great private insurance But I absolutely believe that those not as fortunate as I should have the opportunity to obtain affordable health insurance just as those in Congress do.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:00 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,974,155 times
It's like when Hitler took over as chancellor and enacted the enabling act. It's just a little more power. Government is already centralized, why not a little more? And a little more? And a little more? Etc...

BTW, the background on the video makes me really really really really sick....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies