Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:04 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
So what you are advocating is that we take control away from the states. States have historically had control over regulating industry doing business in their state. So you are in favor of big government and not states rights. Well don't stop with one law. Lets make a single payer system where everything falls under the fed then we don't have to worry about 50 states with 50 different regulations. Problem solved.
MediCare for All or MediCare for NONE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 12:13 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
So what you are advocating is that we take control away from the states. States have historically had control over regulating industry doing business in their state. So you are in favor of big government and not states rights. Well don't stop with one law. Lets make a single payer system where everything falls under the fed then we don't have to worry about 50 states with 50 different regulations. Problem solved.

Mmmm going from 50 regulatory bodies to one regulatory body is hardly the same as having the government taking over health care also that would shrink government not increase it. After all 1 is less than 50. Your soulution to the problem is to kill all competition and take away states rights at the same time hardly a worthy solution.

Clearly I am not in favor of big government but I do recognize the need for some regulation.

By the way if a state made a law contravening the FDA, who do you think wins?

I have demonstrated how the current system we have increases cost and decreases competition and suggested an alternative. Your proposed solution does just the opposite, decreases choice and increases cost.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:19 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Mmmm going from 50 regulatory bodies to one regulatory body is hardly the same as having the government taking over health care also that would shrink government not increase it. Ater all 1 is less than 50. Your soulution to the problem is to kill all competition and take away states rights at the same time hardly a worthy solution.

Clearly I am not in favor of big government but I do recognize the need for some regulation.

By the way if a state made a law contravening the FDA, who do you think wins?

I have demonstrated how the current system we have increases cost and decreases competition and suggested an alternative. Your proposed solution does just the opposite, decreases choice and increases cost.
So your belief is that if we have one rule for insurance companies nationwide that this will somehow increase the amount of competition, or that federal regulations in place of state regulations will decrease the cost of the service or the product. I will bite. Show me some empirical data that backs up this assumption.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:23 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,919,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
85% of people are satisfied with their HC - why are the dems/libs hell bent on overhauling the whole system? One answer - single payer.

But will they still be satisfied when they get a disease that is expensive to treat and they find out their carrier has dropped them and they cannot get coverage elsewhere? Or they find out the coverage they have been paying for doesn't cover their particular disease? Are you going to tell me they should have planned better? Do you think it is better for someone to lose their home and livelihood just because of luck of the draw? Once the house is gone, all the bills have gone into collections, you are frequenting a food pantry so you and your family can eat, who do you think is going to be paying for them? Now it is not only their healthcare the taxpayer is covering, it is their housing and food.

What is YOUR solution to those that aren't covered and cannot afford to pay the entire cost of health insurance themselves? Are they not worthy of being healthy?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:23 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,595,461 times
Americans dont want it..period...there is no compromise...

Old 08-19-2009, 12:24 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
Americans dont want it..period...there is no compromise...
You understand that Medicare and Social Security are doomed without reform. dick Armey and Steve Forbes are suing to make thenm voluntary.
So everyone paying in will quit and both will com tumbling down

Old 08-19-2009, 12:26 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
So your belief is that if we have one rule for insurance companies nationwide that this will somehow increase the amount of competition, or that federal regulations in place of state regulations will decrease the cost of the service or the product. I will bite. Show me some empirical data that backs up this assumption.

Here we go, I have demontrated that having one regulatory body to comply with is easier and therfore cheaper than complying with 50 different regulatory bodies so that is how costs will decrease. Competition increases because the barrier of entry to a given market is lower more people will play. Say for instance the insurance laws in NJ are far more burdensome than Ohio. An insurer who offers insurance in Ohio but not in NJ because of the high hurdles NJ board of insurance put in the way would now offer insurance in NJ because ther is no reason not to. Thus increased competition.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:32 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,065,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
lol...A few folks sniping at town halls = will of the Nation?

Comedian
A bunch of paid DNC activists spreading propaganda on internet forums=the will of the nation? No, it's more like, we're going to bully you into our agenda if you like it or not.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:34 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,595,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You understand that Medicare and Social Security are doomed without reform. dick Armey and Steve Forbes are suing to make thenm voluntary.
So everyone paying in will quit and both will com tumbling down
Social Security is a ponzi scheme predicated on todays workers supporting tomorrows retirees..what kind of reform are we talking about there?? Extending the min retirement age to 90??

Medicare is already run by the Feds...what kind of reform are we referring to here?? Coverage is already inadequate and requires supplementing. There is no easy answer or quick fix. But if the Dems want this, they are going to have to demonstrate how costs will be contained and the elusive topic of cost savings explained to the satisfaction of the American people.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:40 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,065,096 times
Quote:
Nailed it.
The only thig you're nailing is your coffin shut in 2010 and 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies